Carlos and Charlie's or Senor Frogs?

yellownovawife

Which of these would be more fun for my family. We are going to be travelling in January on the Carnival Legend. We have 2 daughters aged 13 and 18. Which one will be the most fun and interactive experience?

You've got to careful with what kind of fun you encounter. I only say this because of your teenage daughters. The staff in both places can get pretty raunchy, with adults anyway. I have no experience taking kids in either place. My wife was not real happy with the surprise breast massage she received.

Howard

I'd say either place is pretty tame during the early afternoon. as it gets to be sailaway time....it can get pretty spring-breakey. conga lines, everflowing tequila, sex jokes from the DJ's. Not at all a place for kids, IMO. After dark, watch your possessions...my wife lost a gold bracelet at a carlos n charlies to a very skilled pickpocket.

Please do watch closely over both your daughters and make sure no one is slipping something in their drinks. There was a reported incident this summer where a young woman off Freedom of the Seas was drugged and sexually assaulted by bar employees at Senor Frogs in Cozumel while visiting there one afternoon with other family members.

• 1 month later...

We were in Cozumel on Saturday February 2nd after a day of shopping, and stopped at Carlos and Charlie’s for lunch on our way back to the Carnival Paradise. I paid our $84 tap with a $100 bill. Our waiter, Carlos, took the tab and my $100 bill back to his cashier, and then returned claiming the bill was not real. I told him that it was real, as I was a banker for 34 years, and I know it was real. He then left the table again. I went to the men’s room, and when I returned to the table, found out that he had come back to the table while I was gone, and gave the $100 bill to my wife, claiming he could not take it. My wife gave him 5-$20 bills in exchange for the $100 bill. When I returned to the table, I noticed that the $100 bill he brought back was not the bill I gave him. Mine was new, and had a single fold where I keep it in my wallet. This bill was old and worn, and folded in quarters. Needless to say, it was counterfeit, so I ended up paying $200 for an $84 lunch. My wife went ballistic, and spoke to the woman claiming to be the manager. She would not listen to our side of the story at all. My wife was insisting on calling the police, but I wasn’t comfortable with the Mexican police being totally fair with an American tourist. Since we were in a foreign country, and needed to get back to the ship, I decided to share my story when I returned to the US.

Bruceste--that's why you avoid these commerical chain places like the plague.

However, if the OP's family wants a beach hangout and Paradise Beach or Mr.Sanchos doesn't appeal to them (and either should for teens), then the CarlosNCharlie's Beach Club (before you get to Paradise Beach) would be a stop to consider.

• 1 year later...
We were in Cozumel on Saturday February 2nd after a day of shopping, and stopped at Carlos and Charlie’s for lunch on our way back to the Carnival Paradise. I paid our $84 tap with a $100 bill. Our waiter, Carlos, took the tab and my $100 bill back to his cashier, and then returned claiming the bill was not real. I told him that it was real, as I was a banker for 34 years, and I know it was real. He then left the table again. I went to the men’s room, and when I returned to the table, found out that he had come back to the table while I was gone, and gave the $100 bill to my wife, claiming he could not take it. My wife gave him 5-$20 bills in exchange for the $100 bill. When I returned to the table, I noticed that the $100 bill he brought back was not the bill I gave him. Mine was new, and had a single fold where I keep it in my wallet. This bill was old and worn, and folded in quarters. Needless to say, it was counterfeit, so I ended up paying $200 for an $84 lunch. My wife went ballistic, and spoke to the woman claiming to be the manager. She would not listen to our side of the story at all. My wife was insisting on calling the police, but I wasn’t comfortable with the Mexican police being totally fair with an American tourist. Since we were in a foreign country, and needed to get back to the ship, I decided to share my story when I returned to the US.

I do beleive that it's not even legal for a vendor to accept $100 US bills now in Mexico. Not to say it doesn't happen, but I tell all my travelers that anything over $50 should be paid in small bills and/or put on a CC.

Info below is from 2010 when it started going into effect:

American travelers bound for Cancun and other popular Mexican destinations have long been able to pay for meals, souvenirs and other goods or services in U.S. dollars instead of pesos.

Effective Sept. 14, making purchases in Mexico with dollars instead of pesos is more complicated. Travelers can exchange a maximum of $1,500 USD per person per month, and businesses can accept a maximum of $100 cash per transaction.CAPTIONBy Alexandre Meneghini, AP But under a new currency law that took effect last month, restaurants, stores and other businesses can now accept a maximum of $100 in cash per transaction. Tour operators Apple Vacations and Funjet Vacations are warning customers that "certain businesses may not be able to, or may choose not to, accept U.S. dollars for any purchase at all, " and airlines at Mexican airports can no longer accept U.S. cash for checked bag fees or other charges, says Tim Smith at American Airlines.

Effective Sept. 14, as part of an effort to stem drug-related money laundering, the Mexican government capped the amount of dollars foreigners can trade for pesos at banks and money exchangers to no more than $1,500 per month.

The $100 limit per transaction on cash purchases in dollars, which also took effect Sept. 14, "is causing a lot of confusion within Mexico," admits Tim Wheatcroft, a spokesman for the tourism board in Baja California. Implementation and enforcement varies widely; in Baja California, the government is "urging merchants to accept dollars on all purchases, even those over $100," says Wheatcroft.

The laws don't affect credit or debit card purchases, or the amount of pesos that U.S. travelers can withdraw from Mexican ATM machines. But, the tourism board adds, U.S. travelers should purchase pesos before they arrive in Mexico "to minimize any inconvenience the exchange cap at banks may cause. "

Back to the topic.....I've always loved Carlos & Charlie's in Cozumel, from way back when it was a little hole in the wall on an upper deck of a shop. WOW the fun we had there. It sure has grown.

Like one of the others posted, during the day and early afternoon, the kids will have fun with the staff. As the day progresses into evening, and the drinks start flowing....it can get a little wild, but you can gauge what's happening and if it's too "crazy" you can go someplace else.

I've seen lots of families enjoying the music, fun and dancing. Will the staff have fun with the kids....you'd better believe it. Will they get raunchy with the kids.......highly doubt it.