Rental car FLL drop off MIA - one way drop charges?

utlisa1050

Flying into FLL Dec 8, for Dec 9 Valor MIA port departure. Probably staying at FLL hotel for the night. My question: Can you rent car from FLL airport and drop at MIA without a One-way drop charge? Getting a good rate on Hotwire (prepaid) instead of rental car sites. :D

Flying into FLL Dec 8, for Dec 9 Valor MIA port departure. Probably staying at FLL hotel for the night. My question: Can you rent car from FLL airport and drop at MIA without a One-way drop charge? Getting a good rate on Hotwire (prepaid) instead of rental car sites. :D

Im actually doing that, this month, you can drop it of in MIA. depending on the company they have a free MIA shuttle to POM. about the on way drop of fee, i did not see a one way drop charge. hope this helps

We're renting from Budget and picking up at FLL. Returning 24 hrs later to their downtown Miami office, which is 1.7 miles from POM, and taking cab to port.

I used BCD code W852802 for Costco members or you can use Y937800 which is open to anyone. Combine with free upgrade coupon UUWZ027 (Budget gives this code out after you don't complete a mock booking ;)).

Great rate for a 24 hr rental and no penalty for one-way or non-airport return.

We're renting from Budget and picking up at FLL. Returning 24 hrs later to their downtown Miami office, which is 1.7 miles from POM, and taking cab to port.

I used BCD code W852802 for Costco members or you can use Y937800 which is open to anyone. Combine with free upgrade coupon UUWZ027 (Budget gives this code out after you don't complete a mock booking ;)).

Great rate for a 24 hr rental and no penalty for one-way or non-airport return.

I thought Budget had a free shuttle if you rented from them (near the Port of Miami). If you are taking a cab, then I'm thinking I must have read that wrong. Would you know how much a cab would be from that downtown office to the port? We actually will be doing the reverse. We rented a car for the day we disembark because our flight is so late. Thanks for any info you might know from experience.

I thought Budget had a free shuttle if you rented from them (near the Port of Miami). If you are taking a cab, then I'm thinking I must have read that wrong. Would you know how much a cab would be from that downtown office to the port? We actually will be doing the reverse. We rented a car for the day we disembark because our flight is so late. Thanks for any info you might know from experience.

Taxi's from the airport to POM and back are a set price of $24 plus tip. Have you tried some of the other car rental agencies that do offer the shuttle? I used Alamo (they have free shuttle) last year and got a good rate. There are lots of codes online. When you add in the taxi fare, it might be a little cheaper to go with one of the others.

I'm not certain but I think Dollar, Thrifty and Hertz have free shuttles too.

Good Luck.

You'd have to check each company to see if there are one-way fees for your particular rental. We didn't pay a one-way with Alamo last year from PBI to FLL. But in looking for a car from Orlando to Port Canaveral, Dollar and Thrifty had one way fees, while the other companies didn't.

No, they do not offer any free shuttles. They told me the cab ride runs between $10 and $15. We will drop all bodies and luggage at port and have 1 person run the rental back so we don't have any "extra" passenger charges.

No, they do not offer any free shuttles. They told me the cab ride runs between $10 and $15. We will drop all bodies and luggage at port and have 1 person run the rental back so we don't have any "extra" passenger charges.

Thank you for the information. Smart idea about the extra passenger charges. Believe it or not, I've never been in a cab before so I wasn't aware there were extra charges. Does that apply when there are two passengers? I just want to be prepared for how much to expect to pay. We are renting a car when we disembark. Is it possible for DH to catch a cab to Budget and then swing back to get me? Like is there places you can sit with all your luggage after you disembark? We will be at the Port of Miami also. It's not even the extra passenger charge I'm worried about, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be simpler not to have to load the cab with all our luggage, then transfer it all to the rent a car etc. any opinion?

I think the effort to load luggage into a cab, unload it at the rental location and put it in the rental car would be far less than having to drive back to the port to pick someone up. I've also never heard of extra passenger charges for cabs in Miami or Ft Lauderdale. The cabs hold up to 4 people and the fare is for the trip. Shuttle services charge by the person.

I think the effort to load luggage into a cab, unload it at the rental location and put it in the rental car would be far less than having to drive back to the port to pick someone up. I've also never heard of extra passenger charges for cabs in Miami or Ft Lauderdale. The cabs hold up to 4 people and the fare is for the trip. Shuttle services charge by the person.

Thanks. I have no idea about how far and what traffic and location is like, so as a newbie, it really is awesome that so many of you can help with things like this. As simple as it may sound to those who have done this a few times, it really could make someone new end up causing more problems for themselves than they think they are solving, so you just spared us that. Thanks again.

Thank you for the information. Smart idea about the extra passenger charges. Believe it or not, I've never been in a cab before so I wasn't aware there were extra charges. Does that apply when there are two passengers? I just want to be prepared for how much to expect to pay. We are renting a car when we disembark. Is it possible for DH to catch a cab to Budget and then swing back to get me? Like is there places you can sit with all your luggage after you disembark? We will be at the Port of Miami also. It's not even the extra passenger charge I'm worried about, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be simpler not to have to load the cab with all our luggage, then transfer it all to the rent a car etc. any opinion?

Miami cabs probably don't have extra per person charges like they do in many other cities I have visited...just something to be aware of. For my group of 8, we would have to take multiple taxi's to fit all of us and 16+ bags so it's far more economical for us to be dropped off first, lol.

With only 2 of you, I would definitely just take a cab to the rental office. They are used to cruise folks and all of their luggage :D.

Happy sailing!!!

I've booked a rental car pick up at Los Angeles airport and drop off in Reno, Nevada. Didn't even get charged a one way fee for that, and I booked it through the company website!

Also, I've booked a car for a week to drive from Washington DC and drop off in New York City. Believe it or not, it was cheaper to rent the car one-way for a week than it was to just rent the car for 5 days and pickup/return in Washington DC! It just pays to look around all the companies!

Miami cabs probably don't have extra per person charges like they do in many other cities

Correct, there are no extra charges in a Miami taxi. Its the same price no matter how many people you put in there.

Most cabs fit 5 people, there are a couple of vans/Suvs in the fleet that seat 6-8

Archived