Tailor--HK or Singapore?

thestokes

We are interested in getting custom made clothing. Which location is better to do that? Can they deliver finished product to the ship? If you have any recommended tailors, please share! Thanks for any input. We leave on Millennium 12/7.

Not sure what ports you are going to before Hong Kong. On a HA cruise, a tailor boarded the ship prior to Hong Kong and took orders and then I think you had a fitting in HK and then it was delivered.

However, I did not purchase any clothing since it was very expensive. For just a sports coat they wanted $525 - I asked is that HK $ or US $ and he said US $. For that price, you can get a custom made sports coat in the US.

Tailors in Beijing or Shanghai are much cheaper.

I vote for Hong Kong..there's no taxes.

Also, if your ship goes to Vietnam..it's also inexpensive there.

The price may or may not be cheap but remember, it'll be tailored to your measurements.

You should also check google or tripadvisor to get other people's recommendations + reviews.

Singapore and Hong Kong are both poor choices.

When Lee Kwan Yu and his henchmen took over Singapore, all the best tailors in Singapore moved back to Hong Kong.

When mainland China took back Hong Kong, all the best tailors moved back to their families in Shanghai.

Today in Singapore you will find a majority of Indian tailors who produce somewhat cheap and inferior quality clothing very quickly.

The minority of Chinese tailors will still produce quality clothing quickly - but for twice the price you would pay in New York.

Today in Hong Kong you will find a majority of Indian tailors who produce somewhat cheap and inferior quality clothing very quickly.

The minority of Chinese tailors will still produce quality clothing quickly - but for twice the price you would pay in New York.

The best tailors - and the best prices - are in Shanghai and Hanoi.

Several years ago the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong had a large special edition on the best custom clothing in the world. They declared that Brooks Brothers in New York makes the best quality custom shirts in the world for the lowest price.

Edited by BruceMuzz

I have had clothing made in both cities and agree you are far better in HK. Reputable tailors take multiple fittings rather than cranking out sweat shop crap in one day.

We have enjoyed using Baron Kay in HK in Tsim Sha Tsui for years. Plus, each year they send a senior rep and tailor to visit 15+ US cities. At a hotel, they take measurements & place orders - low key, no pressure. They measure multiple times, clothing is shipped to you here from the HK shop. Been in business over 30 years. I highly recommend them based on our multiple orders both on-site and here in the US. We first used them in 2000 when our cruise ended in HK (recommended by a British ex-pat living in HK).

In fact, next week we have an appointment to look at new fabrics and possibly order new pants and shirts when Baron Kay visits my city. They mail a letter with Dec US dates each year. Since they are in the US until this Christmas, consider going to their web site (baronkaytailor.com) to see if they will be in your city, then visit them to judge for yourself. That way, you can determine first hand if the chemistry is good well before you get to Asia and try to find a good tailor.

We left Beijing and there was a Tailor on board Sapphire Princess. We picked the fabrics, & he took measurements on board, & even photos of my husbands girth. We were told the jacket & two pants would be delivered in HK. (cause we had two days in HK for adjstments or fittings). They were perfect in every detail... length, cuffs, shoulders, colour, finish, buttons etc. They delivered in a lovely suit bag to our stateroom. Great time for the formal night. Great recommendation. Princeton custom Tailors. http://www.princeton.com.hk/contact.html

sincerely BJ Eyland (Mrs)

Edited by OZdownunder2013

Princeton also comes onboard Regent & Oceania. I know passengers - when we have been on both lines when docking in HK - who used them and were pleased.

One fellow, from Cleveland, had many snazzy suits made onboad with Princeton and was thrilled with the results. The suits were right out of old Las Vegas Liberace & long gone honky tonk country music stars like Conway Twitty. The threads had dragons & plumes & vibrant wild bright colors all over the suit jackets and pants.

He loved those suits and wore an outfit every night to dinner. You can imagine many jaws dropping in the dining room as he paraded by, proud as a peacock, with his Princeton coutre!

• 1 month later...
Keith...I appreciate the info!

We had a number of items including three men's suits a leather coat ,business shirts and a ladies trouser suit maid by Nita Fashions in Hong Kong all where of very good quality and very well made we where very happy with them and are still getting good wear out of them.They where very efficient we went in just after lunch and where measured up and chose our styles and fabrics we then went and had a meal, went back three hours later for fitting on all items they where all delivered to our hotel before four the next day.I would imagine they would deliver to the ship if requested.They are online so you can check them out and enquire about delivery.

We ended up not getting any custom clothing. The tailor on board was too expensive and in port we decided not to take the time. However, if we would have done it, HK seemed to be a far better choice with more options.

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure what ports you are going to before Hong Kong. On a HA cruise, a tailor boarded the ship prior to Hong Kong and took orders and then I think you had a fitting in HK and then it was delivered.

However, I did not purchase any clothing since it was very expensive. For just a sports coat they wanted $525 - I asked is that HK $ or US $ and he said US $. For that price, you can get a custom made sports coat in the US.

Tailors in Beijing or Shanghai are much cheaper.

Tailors in Beijing or Shanghai are much cheaper How much cheaper ???

Singapore in no longer a place to buy cheap items .. every time we are there things seem more expensive!

Do all your shopping in Hong Kong rather than Singapore.

from CNBC (http://www.cnbc.com/id/101462586)

"In its 2014 Worldwide Cost of Living Survey, the EIU said the world's ten most expensive cities to live in are: Singapore, Paris, Oslo, Zurich, Sydney, Caracas, Geneva, Melbourne, Tokyo and Copenhagen, respectively."