Rx Medications - Cozumel

sail7seas

Time and again I have read on this forum people saying "I'd never buy medications in Cozumel" and I've always wondered why? Has anyone here had a bad experience? Don't the Mexican people buy from these pharmacies as their neighborhood Pharmacist?

I'm not talking narcotics or controlled drugs but blood pressure, diabetes tablets, antibiotics, seasick meds, thyroid etc I've never actually read a post by anyone who got counterfeit or expired meds.

Have you?

We always stock up on Antibiotics (Amox., Z-Packs, Cipro) to keep on hand at home. Never had a problem.

I think people are hesitant as the regulations on these meds is not as stringent as those in the US.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

I've no need for regular medication but I've bought stuff for gyppy tummies from pharmacies in places like Cambodia, Egypt, etc. The local pharmacists are very knowledgeable about what to give you and it works far better than the stuff I take with me (which is next to useless).

Have purchased zpacks and similar absolutely no issues

was a rumor going around that cozumel stopped selling antibiotics but I just got an email back today from a contact in coz and it's all still normal as we all know it

• 2 weeks later...
where is the pharmacy in Cozumel in relation to the Cruise port?

Which cruise port are you coming in on? There are pharmacies all over Coz but they don't all have the same selection. I always use Discount Drugs and Souvenirs which is on the 2nd floor of the Diamonds International downtown. It's about a 10 minute taxi ride from Puerta Maya but they have a huge selection, including antibiotics and you do not need an RX.

Which cruise port are you coming in on? There are pharmacies all over Coz but they don't all have the same selection. I always use Discount Drugs and Souvenirs which is on the 2nd floor of the Diamonds International downtown. It's about a 10 minute taxi ride from Puerta Maya but they have a huge selection, including antibiotics and you do not need an RX.

We will be in whichever port that Carnival uses, not sure of the name. Thanks :)

Location at International Pier. when you walk down the long pier from the ship you will come to buildings, the 1st building on you left, walk around the corner and you will see the pharmacy there. It is the first building before you head out and shop around the other stores.

I have only bought antibiotics there.

Edited by Watermanfunari

I went to Cozumel last April and went to pharmacy at the Carnival port and was told I couldn't get Amoxil or Retin-A as I had in the past w/out a prescription. Has it changed again? Anyone bought w/out a script in the last yr?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
I will be arriving at the International Pier in February. Is there a pharmacy there? I am also wondering if anyone has been able to buy tramadol and Latisse there?

Did you try to get those items at the pharmacy Erin?

This is what I was curious about. Some on here are saying you can still purchase meds w/out scripts. I was unable to last April. I tried at Puerta Maya. Which pharmacy did you go to and where you able to purchase antibiotics and if so did you have/not have a prescription? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Our friends were the ones who were trying to get antibiotics. They tried several pharamcies an we told no. We were in one gift shop/pharmacy and I saw several things we use sitting out that you could pick up but if you needed a script or not I don't know as we weren't going to buy anything

I still would be hesitant to buy meds in Cozumel.

Why??? You don't give a reason. We live not far from Mexican border and often get our Rx filled there. Much cheaper, and meds are as good. Pharmacist is knowledgeable. I would think there are reputable pharmacies in Cozumel as well.

Edited by NMLady