How Many Here Switched?

sail7seas

We have cruised a great many times on HAL and always in their "S and SA" suites..... their largest aside from Penthouse.

We are still very happy at HAL but given the high price we pay for cruises, I sometimes wonder if any folks now sailing the so-called luxury lines gave up their suites on more main line cruise lines to sail in lessor cabins for the same money but on a line they consider to be more luxury?

Do you find that substantial a difference?

I seriously doubt we'd switch as we love HAL but I am curious.

after 2 HAL cruises,,admit NOT in Penthouse,,but wanted more "luxury" experience,,meaning all inclusive,,plus smaller ship with better and more personal service,,no long lines,,easier embarkation and debarkation,,,etc...

Sorry,,,i loved HAL ,,at the time,,,but would never go back...of course,,just my opinion...and happy you re happy,,but you asked..:)

after 2 HAL cruises,,admit NOT in Penthouse,,but wanted more "luxury" experience,,meaning all inclusive,,plus smaller ship with better and more personal service,,no long lines,,easier embarkation and debarkation,,,etc...

Sorry,,,i loved HAL ,,at the time,,,but would never go back...of course,,just my opinion...and happy you re happy,,but you asked..:)

Being in the Suites, we don't have long lines. We have priority embarkation and debarkation as well as priority tendering so that is not an issue when you have a top cabin.

That is the point of my question......

We are getting more than just a larger cabin as amenities associated with being a suite guest. We are getting top cabin stewards, Suite Lounge (Neptune Lounge) with concierge service.

I wonder if there is very much we'd get that much different that what we already have being in top suites.

When you do luxury cruising, there is no priority embarkation, tendering, etc. For one, it simply isn't necessary as the ships hold an average of 600 passengers. Also, once you leave your suite, everyone is the same -- no one sits in the back of the bus -- we are all equal. On luxury cruise ships, 100% of the ship is luxury.

It sounds as if you are perfectly happy with HAL, so, there is really no reason to change. If you try one of the lux lines, there is a real chance that you will never go back to HAL;)

• 3 weeks later...

Having sailed Crystal once, I personally would prefer a balcony cabin on Crystal compared to a suite on Princess or HAL. My suite experiences on Princess have been complimentary upgrades so I haven't paid for them. I am pricing out minisuites on Princess this summer and wish that Crystal was back in Alaska this summer as I would book with them in a heart beat over what I am paying for the minisuite to Alaska on Princess.

I would happily have a smaller cabin and have Crystal service (on the ship) over a larger cabin on a mass cruise line.

I have been on HAL and I found the service to be pretty good. However, it didn't come across as a pure "luxury" ship to me. My friends have been steering me to Celebrity as they think it is 2-3 notches above HAL and just under Crystal and nowhere near the yachts of seaborne - We will see. We booked an Aqua class suite cabin this year for Europe and already the services and amenities outweigh our service in an SA category on HAL. While we are in our 30’s but after cruising on Suites on RCI and Carnival, we totally prefer a more luxurious experience. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

• 2 weeks later...

In 2004 we 'graduated' to Crystal after many, many cruises on a variety of the mass market lines (see the line up in my signature)! The step up, for us, anyway, was night and day difference, despite that fact we sailed in an inside cabin on the old (but grand!) Crystal Harmony compared to balconies and suites on most other voyages.

We still sail mass market lines (usually Celebrity) in between our Crystal cruises. While it's true your money will buy more real estate on HAL than Crystal, it is the total package that keeps us coming back. The higher-quality food, the wonderful service of the entire ship's crew that we have NEVER experienced the likes of anywhere else, lecture series, no "nickel and diming", excellent shore excursions, space to passenger ratio (it really shows), the always-interesting well-traveled-yet-not-stuffy fellow passengers, where do I stop? !!

We hope to try Seabourn someday, hopefully sooner than later.

If memory serves me correct, you stated some time ago that for very personal reasons you would never sail Crystal, which of course is a personal and private decision that is respected.

But since you asked......;)

There is a saying about real estate that I think applies to cruise ships: You are better off buying the lowest priced property in a top end neighborhood than the most expensive property in a low end one. I've only sailed on Crystal, but have observed other mainstream and premium ships when we've shared ports, there are lines everywhere, announcements galore, and upselling is part of the experience. In fact, CC had an article last spring comparing a luxury ship to Alaska vs. a Premium ship (if memory serves me right it was Regent vs. Celebrity) and on a total cost basis, the luxury line was about the same money. You don't pay for any drinks, coffee, shows, alternative dining areas, airfare to and from the port. Some lines include overnight accommodations the night before the trip. The food is among the best at sea or on land. On Crystal, even the laundries were included in the fare. Gratuities are now included as are some excursions. Just some food for thought.

Being in the Suites, we don't have long lines. We have priority embarkation and debarkation as well as priority tendering so that is not an issue when you have a top cabin.

That is the point of my question......

We are getting more than just a larger cabin as amenities associated with being a suite guest. We are getting top cabin stewards, Suite Lounge (Neptune Lounge) with concierge service.

I wonder if there is very much we'd get that much different that what we already have being in top suites.

That's why we do Cunard. We've done the Grills, which is true luxury. I understand those who say..what about the rest of the ship?? Well, we get butler service, top food on & off menu, superior service, Prority boarding/disembarkation in a stateroom of 380sq. ft(Princess Grill) to 508 sq ft.+ in Queens Grill. For this same price(or frequently more) you get 250 or so sq. ft in a "luxury" ship.

• 1 month later...
That's why we do Cunard. We've done the Grills, which is true luxury. I understand those who say..what about the rest of the ship?? Well, we get butler service, top food on & off menu, superior service, Prority boarding/disembarkation in a stateroom of 380sq. ft(Princess Grill) to 508 sq ft.+ in Queens Grill. For this same price(or frequently more) you get 250 or so sq. ft in a "luxury" ship.

That's why Cunard is different. They still have a three class ship and, if you want to pay for an upper class, you can stay separate ffrom the "commoners" and eat better, sleep better and have your own lounges. We have been sailing Regent and, on our recent cruise, used HAL because there were no "luxury lines" doing that trip. When our agent originally booked a suite we asked why. He said because we always had suites on Regent. My answer was that I wasn't going to pay for a suite on HAL because, when you leave the suite, you're still on HAL. We had a standard balcony and I was right, the difference between Regent and HAL when it came to the overall ship was night and day. The first week we were saying "never again". By the second week we decided we might try HAL again if it were a good deal on a ship much smaller than their Vista class. We would consider Cunard, but only in a the grill and, considering cost, we could probably do an all inclusive luxury line such as Crystal for the same price.

I have been on HAL and I found the service to be pretty good. However, it didn't come across as a pure "luxury" ship to me. My friends have been steering me to Celebrity as they think it is 2-3 notches above HAL and just under Crystal and nowhere near the yachts of seaborne - We will see. We booked an Aqua class suite cabin this year for Europe and already the services and amenities outweigh our service in an SA category on HAL. While we are in our 30’s but after cruising on Suites on RCI and Carnival, we totally prefer a more luxurious experience. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I realize this is an old post. Celebrity is not any better than HAL. They are very much equal. You friends are steering you in the wrong direction!!

Have you considered Regent? We are just back and would highly recommend that cruise line. EVERYTHING is included!

Where's the beating a dead horse emoticon? I need one when I suggest that HAL/Celebrity/Cunard are NOT luxury lines.

You are absolutely right! Some posters only look at the "Grills" on Cunard. There are many ships with some incredibly luxurious sections. . . however, this does not make them a luxury cruise line.:confused:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
I realize this is an old post. Celebrity is not any better than HAL. They are very much equal. You friends are steering you in the wrong direction!!

Have you considered Regent? We are just back and would highly recommend that cruise line. EVERYTHING is included!

We've been on Celebrity, HAL, NCL, Regent and there is no comparison to Regent. It is simply wonderful! I agree that Celebrity is no better than HAL. We had a lot of problems on Celebrity's Constellation this year and will not go on Connie again. I agree with Linda.

We've been on Celebrity, HAL, NCL, Regent and there is no comparison to Regent. It is simply wonderful! I agree that Celebrity is no better than HAL. We had a lot of problems on Celebrity's Constellation this year and will not go on Connie again. I agree with Linda.

We have been on a lot of different cruise lines as you can tell by my signature below. When people find out how many cruises we have done, we are always asked what is our favorite line. My answer is always to say it depends upon what I want to do and where I want to go. We just finished a Black Sea cruise that we did on HAL. It wasn't a great ship (Prinsendam) but the itinerary was great and we enjoyed the ports.

We treat ourselves to Crystal when we can find a good price--usually a repositioning with sea days. We love the atmosphere, the food (excellent taste, choice and one serving per plate-not piled on), the lecture series, the entertainment options, the service, well. . .on and on. We are saving up for the world cruise in 2015. It may break the bank but it will certainly be our "cruise of a lifetime."

We have been on a lot of different cruise lines as you can tell by my signature below. When people find out how many cruises we have done, we are always asked what is our favorite line. My answer is always to say it depends upon what I want to do and where I want to go. We just finished a Black Sea cruise that we did on HAL. It wasn't a great ship (Prinsendam) but the itinerary was great and we enjoyed the ports.

We treat ourselves to Crystal when we can find a good price--usually a repositioning with sea days. We love the atmosphere, the food (excellent taste, choice and one serving per plate-not piled on), the lecture series, the entertainment options, the service, well. . .on and on. We are saving up for the world cruise in 2015. It may break the bank but it will certainly be our "cruise of a lifetime."

Sorry you didn't like our HAL favorite ship, Prinsendam. I know she is tired and somewhat worn, but she has the elegant feel of the luxury lines, IMHO. You probably had one of those new aft cabins on 8---they are supposed to be terrible. Prinsendam does have the best itineraries--maybe that's why we can overlook her flaws!!

Sorry you didn't like our HAL favorite ship, Prinsendam. I know she is tired and somewhat worn, but she has the elegant feel of the luxury lines, IMHO. You probably had one of those new aft cabins on 8---they are supposed to be terrible. Prinsendam does have the best itineraries--maybe that's why we can overlook her flaws!!

You're right. We had one of the new cabins on 8. Hopefully though they will take care of some of the"tired and worn" when she's dry docked. Great cruise though and wonderful crew.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on many mass market lines and 2 luxury lines. I will NOT go on HAL again. I could not eat the overly salty, garlicy, greasy food that seemed to be the norm. The worst part was the overpowering tobacco smoke in the public areas and balcony smokers. We could not use our balcony at all due to the smoke coming from many neighboring cabins. The small cabin was not comfortable either, but it's the smoke that will keep me from booking another HAL cruise when I choose mass market cruises.

• 1 month later...

We actually switched from luxury lines (Regent, SilverSeas) to mainstream (Celebrity, NCL) with the rule that we only look at the 'new' ships.

My 2 cents.

1. The luxury lines have more original itineraries, especially in Africa and India. If you want to venture to some destinations, you can't go on a mainstream ship.

2. The food at the specialty restaurants aboard NCL / Celebrity, were just as good as the luxury lines to us. One luxury ships we were on had a Michelin rated restaurant, but noone seemed to use it.

3. The food can be heavy at the main dining room on both types of ships. Luxury lines load up on butter and cream. Main stream lines load up on oil.

4. Very few kids on luxury lines

5. We've met interesting people on all of our cruises, but hands down the biggest characters (in a good way) have been on luxury lines.

6. Depending on your style of entertainment, you'll have a clear preference. Luxury lines will have a talented concert pianist and main stream will have a broadway style show.

We used to cruise for the 'cruise experience'. For that I'd say the luxury lines win hands down. Now we cruise to spend time together as a family. For that the mainstream lines suit us better.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading this thread with interest. I have only cruised mass-market and I am now a loyal fan of Celebrity. We have only cruised in higher end suites: Celebrity Suite and Royal Suite on X. I have been considering trying a luxury line, but I have a few concerns you all might be able to address. I am a very private person, and I don't enjoy socializing much. That is what I love about a suite, I spend a lot of time in my cabin and on my private balcony. I do enjoy walking around in public areas and going to shows in the evening. I do not drink alcohol, so I don't sit around and socialize at the bars. (I know, I sound like a barrel of fun, :/) I am afraid on a luxury line, with far fewer passengers, I will be in a sort of "forced intimacy" situation where I would be very conspicuous and uncomfortable having to make conversation with strangers. I do enjoy sitting at a large dinner table and making dinner conversation with others, but I don't extend that socializing into the rest of the cruise day. I have stayed at lovely intimate bed and breakfasts and inns and had a terrible time, because of the small, forced-family type experience. Would it be like that on a luxury line? I guess what I can appreciate about Celebrity is being able to be anonymous in the crowd, if that makes sense. I also enjoy good service, but dislike being smothered in service. What do you think? Is a luxury line doable for an introvert like me?

I've been reading this thread with interest. I have only cruised mass-market and I am now a loyal fan of Celebrity. We have only cruised in higher end suites: Celebrity Suite and Royal Suite on X. I have been considering trying a luxury line, but I have a few concerns you all might be able to address. I am a very private person, and I don't enjoy socializing much. That is what I love about a suite, I spend a lot of time in my cabin and on my private balcony. I do enjoy walking around in public areas and going to shows in the evening. I do not drink alcohol, so I don't sit around and socialize at the bars. (I know, I sound like a barrel of fun, :/) I am afraid on a luxury line, with far fewer passengers, I will be in a sort of "forced intimacy" situation where I would be very conspicuous and uncomfortable having to make conversation with strangers. I do enjoy sitting at a large dinner table and making dinner conversation with others, but I don't extend that socializing into the rest of the cruise day. I have stayed at lovely intimate bed and breakfasts and inns and had a terrible time, because of the small, forced-family type experience. Would it be like that on a luxury line? I guess what I can appreciate about Celebrity is being able to be anonymous in the crowd, if that makes sense. I also enjoy good service, but dislike being smothered in service. What do you think? Is a luxury line doable for an introvert like me?

You would do fine. Just because there are fewer people doesn't mean you have to socialize with them. It's not like a river boat with a hundred some people. You can still be anonymous, just in a smaller crowd!

I HATE B&B's. I don't understand why people would want to hang out for meals etc with the owners and the few other guests. I like my privacy!

• 2 weeks later...

One thing you might want to consider is whether a cruise line...luxury or not....permits smoking in the cabins and in bars. Crystal does, and it is not just annoying for non smokers.......about 95 % of the population....but also dangerous to one's health to breath in second hand smoke. When there are smokers present, the smoke permeates air in corridors outside cabins and floats in the air in bars. The exhaust fans just do not do the job. My information is that HAL does not permit smoking. Most every cruise line today.....luxury or not, large or small, takes the more modern and concerned approach about the hazards of smoke....including the risk of fire at sea....and stopped allowing it. Check carefully.

Archived