Sensation vs RCCL Enchantment of the Seas

uscgrl93

Cross-posting on both Carnival and RCCL in the hopes of receiving all the information I can:

A little background info: We are invited to go on a 3-day Bahamas cruise next July. I really, really, really do not like old ships nor do I like short cruises but we are going with a group. The group will consist of competitive dancers between the ages of 5-18 who will be performing a 30-minute show on one of the ships through the "Stars at Sea" program. The dates are set in stone in July and so is the fact that it will be one of these two ships. The group has asked for my input because they know I love to cruise and research so much......but my research is mostly Disney and the newer ships as well as 7+ day cruises. So I need help! I'm having a really hard time providing the group with information because both of these are old ships!

There will be approximately 50-80 dancers depending on who chooses to go and each dancer will be with their family.

So.....given the above information, which ship is better for this group? What are the pros and cons? How are they different? I know NOTHING about either of these ships and the last time I went on an old ship it was awful! That ship has been since retired so I would hope never to repeat that experience. TIA!

Sensation was built in 1993, refurbished in 2012. It is 70,000 tons and has a passenger capacity of 2640.

Enchantment was built in 1997, refurbished in 2012. It is 81,000 tons and has a passenger capacity of 2446.

Both ships are old and IMHO at the bottom of the scale in their respective lines. The Sensation has the waterworks park and the Serenity area, but the Enchantment is 15% bigger and holds fewer passengers. For what's its worth, I would choose the Enchantment as I am sure many of the loyal royals are saying the same as they bash Carnival as they tend to do over on their board. Good luck.

Been on both and I would pick Enchantment because of the itinerary. With Enchantment, you get Coco Cay instead of a day at sea.

Sensation has water slides and mini-golf. Enchantment has a rock climbing wall and bungee trampoline.

Enchantment has a much larger pool deck.

Enchantment felt newer and more modern to me than Sensation.

This isn't even close in my mind. Enchantment is a much more beautiful ship than Sensation and is less crowded. I would pick Enchantment over any Fantasy Class ship.

As someone who has cruised a full dozen times onboard Carnival Sensation (and totally enjoyed almost each and every one) . . . I would immediately choose Enchantment of the Seas without any hesitation, as it would offer me a better overall experience.

Cross-posting on both Carnival and RCCL in the hopes of receiving all the information I can:

A little background info: We are invited to go on a 3-day Bahamas cruise next July. I really, really, really do not like old ships nor do I like short cruises but we are going with a group. The group will consist of competitive dancers between the ages of 5-18 who will be performing a 30-minute show on one of the ships through the "Stars at Sea" program. The dates are set in stone in July and so is the fact that it will be one of these two ships. The group has asked for my input because they know I love to cruise and research so much......but my research is mostly Disney and the newer ships as well as 7+ day cruises. So I need help! I'm having a really hard time providing the group with information because both of these are old ships!

There will be approximately 50-80 dancers depending on who chooses to go and each dancer will be with their family.

So.....given the above information, which ship is better for this group? What are the pros and cons? How are they different? I know NOTHING about either of these ships and the last time I went on an old ship it was awful! That ship has been since retired so I would hope never to repeat that experience. TIA!

Even though it has been years since i was on either ship, but if those were my only 2 choices I'd choose the Enchantment myself. Sensation almost put me off cruising. Didnt cruise for 3 years afterwards and that cruise was on the Enchantment which revitalized my passion.

But since these are 5-18 year olds I think you have to choose Sensation. Carnivals Fantasy class updates added the waterpark. The arcades on the carnival ships have always been better.

Take the Sensation and introduce a new generation to the joys of cruising. Even if you might not enjoy as much.

Edited by Soloist
Added more sensation perspective

Just making some assumptions that you have a large group of teenage dancers. The Enchantment will offer them rock climbing, a trampoline to show off on, mini golf, and a large pool deck. In addition, the Enchantment will have an arial act in the atrium which should peak their interest as well as a "larger" stage show. Carnival really does not match anything like this for this age group.

This isn't even close in my mind. Enchantment is a much more beautiful ship than Sensation and is less crowded. I would pick Enchantment over any Fantasy Class ship.

Shocking news.:eek: Which CCL v RCI comparisons would you be close on? Never equated Beauty as a reason to sail any ship, but that is just me.

Edited by jimbo5544

I would say the Sensation.

The Sensation has the water works and Enchantment does not.

Instead the Enchantment has a trampoline and rock climbing which is more geared to older teenagers, than "water works"![/

They also have mini golf.

Both ships have mini golf.[/COLOR]

The Sensation has a nice video arcade.

Video arcade cost extra money......and both ships have it.[/B]

Edited by Havingfun2010

So... What do you think is best?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think we are going to go with Enchantment based on the feedback. We will find out Sunday for sure! I appreciate everyone's help.

• 3 weeks later...
We are doing the Sensation (yes there are just the two of us) in less than two weeks.

Will there be robes and a vault in our room?

Carnival puts robes in their oceanview and above cabins. I don't think the inside cabins have them. All cabins have safes.

We are doing the Sensation (yes there are just the two of us) in less than two weeks.

Will there be robes and a vault in our room?

We are sailing on the Sensation in just a few days...

do you know if there are refrigerators in the balcony rooms?

TIA

There are robes in all Carnival cabins and you can buy new ones. Refrigerators are only in suites on the Fantasy class ships.

Both ships are old and IMHO at the bottom of the scale in their respective lines.

I was concerned about sailing on the Enchantment since our previous Royal cruise had been on the Allure during its inaugural season. I was pleasantly surprised! It was absolutely wonderful. In fact, it surpassed our experience on some larger and newer ships. The Enchantment is a beautiful, very well kept ship. Very little signs of wear and tear. The ship has been renovated and modernized, including technological upgrades.

On the other hand, our experience on the Sensation was pretty bad. The ship is ugly (purple, purple and more purple, and hideous, outdated, 90's decor). The ship felt run down. Service and upkeep were subpar (for example, someone threw up on the stairs and they just placed a yellow cone next to it. Hours later, it was still there, dried up and crusted!) Not only that, but on our particular sailing, fellow cruisers left A LOT to be desired. It was the first time I've witnessed a fist fight on a cruise ship. :eek:

OP: Feel free to click on my Enchantment photo review (link in my signature). Hope it's helpful! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi