The Quest to find Fernando's 100% Agave in Mahahual

tallyho8

I'm writing this thread for those of you who remember Fernando's 100% Agave one block from the beach with his liquor store next door. We all remember Fernando's as having some of the lowest prices in Mexico plus some great food and drinks and the friendliest owner in a place that mainly locals frequented that was not a tourist trap.

There has been so much false information written about Fernando's new place since he moved a couple of years ago that I wanted to let everyone know the truth.

Sadly, Fernando's is no more as Fernando is now working in a bar/restaurant in a resort owned by some Italians right on the beach in Mahahual.

We spent a couple of hours looking for Fernando's new place last week when we were there and learned why there is so much mis-information about where his new place is. As we strolled the Malecon searching for it by directions given on other threads it became evident that we would not find it so we asked at one of the bars we passed and they said "this is Fernando's new place. Come inside and meet his wife who works here" We were brought inside and introduced to a lady who was said to be Fernando's wife but since we had met Fernando's wife previously, we knew that was not her and left to go searching again.

Farther up the strip we asked at another bar and. surprise, got the exact same answer and went inside and met another false wife of Fernando. At a third place we asked we again got the same answer, that we had found Fernando's new place and his wife was inside. NOT! We came to the conclusion that many people thought they were at Fernando's new place and wrote on here telling about it but it was indeed not Fernando's new place.

Then we thought to go to see if his liquor store was still there next to his old place and upon entering we found Fernando's real wife working there. She gave us instructions on how to get to the new place he was working at and we hiked on down there.

He is working in the bar/restaurant at Resort El Fuerte (you can find it on TripAdvisor.com) on the beach. This is not a local place where you sit under a thatch umbrella with your feet in the sand like his old place. It is an upscale resort with high quality food and drinks that will make most cruisers happy and Fernando is still as friendly as ever. The restaurant is located on the bottom floor on the right side of the 3 story building.

Fernando started out by giving us each a complimentary drink and then bringing the margaritas that we ordered. I ordered a small order of ceviche which was really quite large. My wife generally doesn't like fish but after trying it she ate her fair share.

When we were finished Fernando brought out a tray with 4 high quality premium local 100% agave tequilas for us to sample. One of the tequilas sold for over US$100 a bottle but he gave us free samples of each. We were all feeling pretty good as we caught the taxi for the short hop back to the ship. :D

So, if you want to find Fernando, do not ask anyone on the malecon, just look for El Fuerte and bring along this photo to identify it.

IMG_3357.jpg.67e5794386fc6e9ba0726b5d429b7503.jpg

IMG_3367.jpg.bb8bf6cbb2bffb18f91d6c98f83f882f.jpg

IMG_3370.jpg.3de32056e74f8e00ad4dee9f1fce3a7b.jpg

IMG_3360A.jpg.3afbd5f09a09f9bce7e60b849ff4f43d.jpg

Edited by tallyho8

Thank you so much! :cool::) And for posting the pictures.

All of us who have been to Don Fernando's old 100% Agave and the short lived beach version have jumped at any news on his return. I'll cancel my DW/SILs "search party" in May.:D But will request they look up El Fuerte and stop in. Sadly, based on your visit, sounds as if his own "special blend" is no more.:(

What's interesting is how other beach operators use his name (and Steve's at Tropicante and Jaime's at Nohoch Kay) to lure unsuspecting visitors to their places rather than just build up a good rep on their own. If you're new to Costa Maya and the malecon, please do your research so you have an idea of what the places look like and you can fend off the lounger vultures.

Thank you very much, tallyho ! We've been to both the old and "new" Fernando's and enjoyed them very much. I've not seen anything on here recently about it, so was pleased to see all your info. We'll be back there next Jan. and are scheduled to be the only ship in port that day. steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This was Fernando back in

2010 at his best!

Homemade tequila barrel behind him, can still buy a liter for $16, will put in plastic tea or coke bottle, never a problem getting back on ship. Was $12 when started going there 4 years ago.

We went many years ago...had the best day ever and loved our time with Fernando and his wife....so nice food the best and a great michalada.....and margaritas.... Plus the free samples....I felt so good and relaxed when we left....will miss it....know of any place else like that???? Off of beaten trail? Going in dec. will be there on Christmas eve....

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it appears that Fernando's 100% Agave is back. There are recent reviews on tripadvisor (see link below) and the pictures posted look like Fernando when comparing the tripadvisor pictures to the pictures that are posted here.

Would someone confirm that this is Fernando? We're interested in going to his restaurant in December. Thank you!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g499450-d7243013-Reviews-or30-Fernando_s_100_Agave-Mahahual_Costa_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html#REVIEWS

Looks like Fernando to me. I'll need to look at picture on my PC at home to be sure. Looks like it's on the malecon with the Hotel Matan Kaan behind it which would put Posada Los 40 Canones to the left in the picture and on the corner of Robalo which would be a bout a block or so down from YaYas? At least that's where I'd start looking.

Next door to Ibiza sunset in mahahual on the beach/ malecon before nacional menu is a bit different I'm in mahahual now but it's definitely open. In February it was called ole paella now back to 100% agave

Edited by AKLydia

Yes that is Fernando in the photos but I am pretty sure that the location described in Trip Advisor is wrong. They show it as being past Blue Kay going toward the dock and I don't think this is right.

I wish someone could post the names of the 2 streets that he is between and verify that he is on the Malecon and not on the side streets.

He was closed at his other location the last time I was there and I sure want to see him again when I go back in February.

He is directly on the malecon. I do not know the cross street as of now but it's the street that the little lady that sells fruit at across from the soccer fields. You would turn left there and then when you hit the malecon turn right. He is just a couple stores in immediately before Ibiza Sunset. I will try to take a pic tomorrow maybe it's a tiny little place and easy to miss if you hit ibiza sunset stop and step back 10 steps64a76d357dae6027c5054dd297118632.jpg this is the closest pic I have his chairs are down on the malecon behind Ibiza's sign you are looking north in this picture. If I remember right for a short period of time 100% Agave was located where Ibiza sunset now is.

Edited by AKLydia

Thank you AKLydia for all your effort. Looking at pictures and Google Street View, I wonder if Fernando is near the corner of Calle Martillo and the Malecon (but I'm not sure.)

If you could confirm the street, you'd get my vote for Cruise Critic member of the year! :) I suppose GPS coordinates would be too much to ask!!! :D

Thank you AKLydia for all your effort. Looking at pictures and Google Street View' date=' I wonder if Fernando is near the corner of Calle Martillo and the Malecon (but I'm not sure.)

If you could confirm the street, you'd get my vote for Cruise Critic member of the year! :) I suppose GPS coordinates would be too much to ask!!! :D[/quote']

I think is further south than Martillo which is where his old beach place was. Maybe Coronado? But I'm guessing Robalo since that's before Nacional and 40 Canones but south of YaYas. Coronado would be the southern street nearest the soccer field, with Cherna (where old-old non-malecon 100% Agave used to be) being the northern, if I recall correctly. I'd get off at Martillo, walk south and look for AKLydia's landmark of Ibiza's Sunset.

Pretty sure it is one business farther north than his old place on the beach. Ibiza sunset is in his old location but as far as I've seen they do not use the upstairs area for seating or anything. I'll edit this response today with the cross street but I think it's the first street as you see the soccer field not farther south. The little ladies fruit stand is very

Visible there and open air she has been there for at least the 5 years we have been coming. I run over and buy hot dogs there sometimes for beach dogs.

Edited by AKLydia

As a side question, is there any problem with drinking the water or having ice in drinks (possibly frozen drinks) in the area of the Malecon, or is it best to avoid both? In certain parts of Mexico, I know tourists can get sick from drinking the water. Thank you!

Edited by Cruisin'4Us

As a side question' date=' is there any problem with drinking the water or having ice in drinks (possibly frozen) in the area of the Malecon, or is it best to avoid both? In certain parts of Mexico, I know tourists can get sick from drinking the water. Thank you![/quote']

From what we can determine the cruise lines did the infrastructure for the water treatment for the area many years ago so it is sanitary. It comes from interior there is a large cenote piped in and then treated. I however do think it has too much chlorine in it so I have filters on our showers otherwise my hair is like straw. Most places locally either purchase ice (I see the large deliveries constantly) that use filtered water. I have also seen ice makers that connect directly to the large filtered water bottles.