off the ship, but still feel the motion!

cr1

We just got off the Wonder yesterday. The seas were pretty rough for a while (13 - 20 swells according to the tv). This is my 3rd cruise and the first time experiencing this. I assume the problem is due to the rough seas this time.

Has anyone else felt the motion of the ship after getting off? How long did it last?

It usually happens to me, too. However, it didn't happen after our cruise last month, and we had extremely rough sees (20 - 30 ft. according to the TV:eek:). I guess it's just something that happens every now and then!

Beth

Thats so funny that this subject was brought up. My wife and I on our first cruise got off the ship and took a taxi to the airport to fly home. While waiting at the boarding gate to get on the plane my wife and I at the same time felt like the room moved and we both stubled like we were drunk for a second or two. It was a really strange sensation, but it went away after a day or two. I don't think you have anything to worry about. :D

It usually happens to me, too. However, it didn't happen after our cruise last month, and we had extremely rough sees (20 - 30 ft. according to the TV:eek:). I guess it's just something that happens every now and then!

Beth

Beth, did you do anything differently for the 20 to foot waves cruise? Different meds or lots of ginger or sea bands? The reason I ask is because after a cruise just like yours, I had dizziness for at least a month. When I take a cruise with calm seas, it does not last as long or is that much of a problem. I would love to know how to eliminate this problem.

Sorry OP, my reply was probably not what you wanted to hear!

In 05 we hit really bad swells right out of the port. I "rocked" for about a month.

On our last cruise I only "swayed" for about a week.

Every time you move, think back of the fun you had! :) My girls thought is was fun to do this .

The motion-of-the-ocean is a great thing to many people ... not so much so to others. Our sense of balance is an inner ear function. Some are more susceptible to lingering effects of motion than others. But it does go away. We've noticed it a couple of times after leaving the ship ... but never after arriving back home.

There's nothing I know of that can do away with the sensation. There is meclezine, ginger, sea bands, etc. for tummy discomfort (motion sickness.) But you want your inner ear to work or you could fall over and hurt yourself ... not knowing you need to take corrective action. :eek:

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

On the ship I wore the sea bands and they really seemed to help. While I definitely felt the motion, my stomach was fine. Now that I'm back, I still feel the motion, but it's not constant and I'm not stumbling around. It reminds me of when I was a kid playing in the waves at the beach all day, that night I would go to bed and still feel the sensation of the waves washing over me and back again to the sea.

I've talked to a few friends who have had this happen and they said it lasted a couple days. Hopefully for me it will be gone soon. It's nice to know that it's not uncommon (although I hope it doesn't last a month :eek: )

I have tinnitus and vertigo....when I'm on a ship, I feel stablized and much better. Can't figure it out!

However, when I get home and I turn on a faucet or take a shower....I get vertigo.:rolleyes:

The doctors can not fix it....it's all part of our inner ear and how each one of us deals with the motion, water, etc.....

I live with it everyday and can't wait to get on a cruise ship to feel better!!!

Google MDDS (Mal Dedebarqment Syndrome). Mostly affects women in their 40's. My first 7 day cruise, I came home and was dizzy for 3 months after we got home. I took Dramamine as soon as I got home from my cruise!

Now I wear the patch every cruise. It is the only thing that blocks the motion sensation from the inner ear so recurrence is less likely when you use the patch.

Hope this helps!

Sharon

I found some interesting information on MDDS. Maybe I have a mild case of that. My husband used the patch on the cruise, although it fell off in the shower the night before the cruise ended, and he feels the same way I do.

It will be interesting to see if this happens again on our next cruise (Alaska, July 08).

Beth, did you do anything differently for the 20 to foot waves cruise? Different meds or lots of ginger or sea bands? The reason I ask is because after a cruise just like yours, I had dizziness for at least a month. When I take a cruise with calm seas, it does not last as long or is that much of a problem. I would love to know how to eliminate this problem.

Sorry OP, my reply was probably not what you wanted to hear!

I spent as much time as I could outside. I didn't feel nearly as sick when I could see the horizon! I also ate a lot of green apples, and I wore sea bands. Other than green apples, I couldn't really eat anything else. I had brunch at Palo during the worst of it, and all I could even think of eating was croissants and crackers! It wasn't exactly the meal I had planned, but it was fun anyway.

Beth

Welcome to my world.......I used to feel alone in it.....until I see how many people feel the same way....

The only cure is to get back on a ship....I try to do this as much as I can....Unfortunately, to my DH's dismay....he doesn't love it as much as I do! :cool:

On our first cruise my hubby and I decided to stay a few days post cruise and go to Universal Studios ... it was crazy! We were totally still feeling the motion ... that's when my hubby got sick! LOL! He couldn't go on any more rides that day and now for our Disney Cruise we'll be going to the park BEFORE our cruise! :)

It is three days since we left the vessel and we still feel the motion but feeling much better and less often.

On our first cruise my hubby and I decided to stay a few days post cruise and go to Universal Studios.

What did you think of Universal? We stayed a week at the Hard Rock Hotel - very nice - and found that we finished both parks in two days. Fortunately the vacation included tickets to Sea World, Busch Gardens, etc.

Busch Gardens is a MUST see. Very nice.

Archived