4 yr old in Jamaica

twinmommy08

Hello!

We have been to Jamacia before (Ocho Rios) and this will be the twin's first time at this port. We stop at Falmouth.

Is there anything to do with two 4 year olds while in port? I really don't want to take a long excursion to Ocho or MB because last time we did that we had to stop every 20 mins for potty breaks and it really annoyed our fellow cruisers! I want to stay "local"... any beaches near by we can take a cab or walk to?

DH is pretty much set on just shopping around the port and calling it a day. I would like to do something, but want to stay away from the $40 charge X 4 to have the ship drive us to a beach for 2 hours! :rolleyes:

Falmouth is one of those "manufactured" ports...not alot to do nearby. The ship will be virtually empty that day, so staying aboard and using the pool is a great option! Check out the Port of Call boards to find out what others have done there!

Be careful about leaving the port area of Falmouth. There have been a number of reports of a lot of drug dealing and prostitution just outside the "manufactured" port area. Stick to staying in the port and not straying too far unless you take a ship sponsored tour to a beach.

I would stay in port.....as lame as it is. We stopped in Falmouth and my dd was 7 months. Rccl was sponsoring free trolley rides through town with a few local stops at a church, cemetery, and some other historical buildings. It only took about 1.5 hours and it was nice. However, I wouldn't do it with toddlers. A this point my dd is 2 and just be too scared.

I don't know what it is about that area. We have traveled to all didn't countries with her and we've never had a single worry. But that port worries me.:(

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I think we will step off to walk around the plaza (in port) and go back on the ship and enjoy the day.

Just a bummer we can't "do" anything worthwhile. Our other port is Labadee and we have two sea days. The Liberty is a great ship so I'm sure we will find something to do! ;)

My friend went on a last minute cruise with her hubby, son, and daughter who was maybe 7 or 8 at this time with long blonde hair. While in port a lady trying to appear to get them to pay for hair braiding insisted on braiding the daughter's hair after my friend told them no over and over, so the lady just started braiding without permission. As my friend is trying to laugh this off to her husband she had her head turned, when she turned her head back the lady had her daughter putting her into a taxi. Her daughter is a very quiet child. My friend freaks out runs after her and jumps into the taxi, followed by her husband and son. Long story short, they forced them to an ATM to withdrawl money. The first ATM withdrawl wasn't enough so they took them to a second ATM before the taxi driver and lady would return them to the port. The taxi driver and lady were in it together. Of course I have no clue if the taxi was legal or not. My friend just said taxi. When she reported it to the authorities they shrugged it off and were like, your back safe now right...

Last year, our twin girls were 3.5 when we stopped in Falmouth. We purchased our own excursion via http://www.jamaicaforaday.com/ Kids under 5 are totally free (you just need to make sure you register them with the company - so they have enough seats on the bus).

We had a fantastic time there - and we are going back there next week! Hilton Rose Hall, the resort was beautiful. I would say take a snack for the morning because when we got there, the restaurant was not open. I think I got the Jerk Chicken - it was so yummy. My girls got a virgin fruity drink they loved. Our particular server was awesome. The beach - yeck - it could have been better - I don't know if that was normal or not. I don't know if I'd call it a water park, but, they do have a lazy river with huge inner tubes, and slides - but I think its for older kids/adults. There is a regular pool there just outside the hotel if you don't want the beach or lazy river. They also have a hot tub by the lazy river. Yum - free ice cream available. Food and drinks are included in the price. Towels are provided. I think I may have posted a review with pictures - I'll have to see. Potties were not real convenient at the location - one was out of order when we were there last year and we had to go up by the hotel. The bus ride wasn't too long, and the driver gave us info about the surroundings. We are pretty punctual, and we don't like others to wait on us - we were on time for the bus going to the resort, but most were not - so us (and our kids) stood there what seemed like forever to head to the resort. I'm not sure how your port will be - we were in Falmouth - a new man-made port.

Like I said - we have booked this resort again - we had a fabulous time and my girls will be 4.5. Otherwise, we would probably just stay on the ship.

My friend went on a last minute cruise with her hubby, son, and daughter who was maybe 7 or 8 at this time with long blonde hair. While in port a lady trying to appear to get them to pay for hair braiding insisted on braiding the daughter's hair after my friend told them no over and over, so the lady just started braiding without permission. As my friend is trying to laugh this off to her husband she had her head turned, when she turned her head back the lady had her daughter putting her into a taxi. Her daughter is a very quiet child. My friend freaks out runs after her and jumps into the taxi, followed by her husband and son. Long story short, they forced them to an ATM to withdrawl money. The first ATM withdrawl wasn't enough so they took them to a second ATM before the taxi driver and lady would return them to the port. The taxi driver and lady were in it together. Of course I have no clue if the taxi was legal or not. My friend just said taxi. When she reported it to the authorities they shrugged it off and were like, your back safe now right...

I have no reason to doubt you or your friend's story. However, things like this can (and do) happen everywhere. I think I'm just tired of people constantly dogging Jamaica.

Be vigilant wherever you are. Do not turn your head from your young children wherever you are. And be firm when you say no. Sometimes it takes a bit of aggression where you turn and face them square, look them dead in the eye and say no.

Playing passive aggressive or simply passively saying "no", they'll just ignore it and continue to hound. Square up and let them know you mean business and people tend to get the message quickly.

I heard so much negativity with respect to Jamaica before my first trip. And I experienced some things there that I hadn't experienced in other countries. Some very good. Some bad. My approach to those who hounded me remained the same. I wound up having a good time and made a second trip. I'd make a third in a heartbeat. My dw (blonde hair and all) would choose Jamaica over Puerto Rico 10 out of 10 times. Perhaps us rolling around the island with some dude with a handgun in his jeep's console had something to do with it.

I have no reason to doubt you or your friend's story. However, things like this can (and do) happen everywhere. I think I'm just tired of people constantly dogging Jamaica.

Be vigilant wherever you are. Do not turn your head from your young children wherever you are. And be firm when you say no. Sometimes it takes a bit of aggression where you turn and face them square, look them dead in the eye and say no.

Playing passive aggressive or simply passively saying "no", they'll just ignore it and continue to hound. Square up and let them know you mean business and people tend to get the message quickly.

I heard so much negativity with respect to Jamaica before my first trip. And I experienced some things there that I hadn't experienced in other countries. Some very good. Some bad. My approach to those who hounded me remained the same. I wound up having a good time and made a second trip. I'd make a third in a heartbeat. My dw (blonde hair and all) would choose Jamaica over Puerto Rico 10 out of 10 times. Perhaps us rolling around the island with some dude with a handgun in his jeep's console had something to do with it.

True, bad things happen everywhere. However, in the U.S. when you report an incident like this it is not blown off so easily. I have 5.5 years living in Korea, so yes overseas some issues do not have as much focus as others. Some people are natrually passive aggressive.

We did the Jamicaforaday, and our then 2 year old loved everything but the bus ride! Also, if your kids arent afraid, they have people on stilts and dressed up handing out leis. Lots of colorful people to look at at Falmouth, just nothing to do in the port area except shop. Our little one did enjoy watching them dance too. Dot

Archived