Things to do in San Franscisco

My husband and I are on Crown Princess Pacific Coastal leaving April 29.

We will be in San Francisco on May 2nd from 7:00 AM - 11 PM.

First questions - with the ship departing at 11 PM, what time do we need to be on the ship prior to departure?

We booked the 5:55 evening Alcatraz tour, but are in need of what to do during the earlier part of the day. Having never been there, we want to make the best use of our time.

Typical Princess policy, world wide, is to be back on board 30 minutes prior to scheduled sailing. You should double check this on the Princess book, but I see you have been on Princess a few times.

As we don't know your budget, interests, and limitations, hard to give any recommendations.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We were thinking of a hop on hop off bus to make stops and see sights, but don't know if there is a better way to see the area. We don't have any physical limitations of what we can or can't do. We typically are on the budget side with things to do.

A HoHo Bus would certainly be nice if you are on a tight budget.

I would do this in the morning. Either have a light lunch in the city or return to the ship and then you can visit some areas closer to the Cruise Ship terminal by food including Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelii Square and consider taking a cable car.

Keith

We weren't planning on booking a HoHo through Priincess. Are there HoHo buses available near the pier? Would we need to pre-book one or can you just walk up and pay there?

This map shows the HOHO.

http://www.isango.com/ActivityLocationMaps/SFO728MAP.pdf

There is a stop at Pier 39 and one at Pier 23 which I believe is close to the pier.

Keith

All aboard time in SF was 10:30 pm.

My favorite in SF was a tour to Muir Woods. Muir Woods were absolutely amazing! Our tour allowed us around 90 minutes there to hike the loop but we could have stayed quite a bit longer.

Just a heads up that there are several hop-on-hop-off bus companies in SF.

We were there recently and waited forever for the CitySightseeing bus (the one in the link provided by Keith1010).

While we waited, lots of the others passed us by, mostly Big Bus, which unfortunately did not stop at the same location (we were waiting on Lombard, not the starting point).

Seems that CitySightseeing do not have many buses and they do not keep to the schedule at all.....we had phoned ahead and were at the stop in plenty of time but suspect it came by early. :(

Luckily we had not paid ahead (you can pay upon boarding) and ended up taking a local bus instead (we were gong to Sausalito and GG Bridge).

Here is a link to Big Bus, it does cost a bit more than CitySightseeing but being more frequent may save time by not having to wait a long time to hop back on the next bus.

http://eng.bigbustours.com/sanfrancisco/home.html

The Powell/Hyde cable car is lots of fun going up and down the steep hills, $7 each way :). If you do this, on the way back you can get off at Lombard - crookedest street. You would have to pay again to get back on the next one, or walk back down to Fisherman's Wharf area (downhill :p)

Also, try some oysters at Hog Island or have some ice cream at Humphrey Slocumbe in the Ferry Building. I also recommend Philz Coffee on Market (within walking distance of the Ferry Building) or Blue Bottle Coffee, if you want to stay inside the Ferry Building.

A little further afield, but lunch at The House, on Grant Street (probably 30 minute walk, but I would uber it) would be terrific. If you're on a budget, lunch at In-N-Out at Fisherman's Wharf is also a must.

We always love finding a restaurant where most eating there are actually Chinese. :)

This is a good idea. Chinatown is not far of a walk from the pier. And no hills till you get to Chinatown. If it looks like a hole-in-the-wall it is probably very good. Good luck.

This is a good idea. Chinatown is not far of a walk from the pier. And no hills till you get to Chinatown. If it looks like a hole-in-the-wall it is probably very good. Good luck.

Have to so agree! Don't worry if it appears to be a "hole in the wall". If you look inside and see lots of obvious Chinese decent, it'll be GOOD! :)

Not too far from the cruise ship terminal, you can make your way up Telegraph Hill from Chinatown, see the terrific WPA murals in Coit Tower, then walk down the Filbert Steps to the waterfront and back to your ship. This is one of my favorite routes for folks who visit from out-of-town.

We always love finding a restaurant where most eating there are actually Chinese. :)
One of my fav hole in the walls is the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie factory. Most find chocolates are a San Francisco gift to bring home.... I usually pack a carry-on full of cookies with co-workers and friends!

[YOUTUBE]K6oVjuDsbhg[/YOUTUBE]

Some say when you read fortunes... add the phrase "in bed" at the end.

Edited by xlxo

I'll second Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory... great fortune cookie wafers (thought admittedly, the shop itself is not the cleanest).

Also check out Golden Gate Bakery on Grant Street. If they are not on vacation, their egg custards ("dan tats") are the best.

I'll recommend the Buena Vista Cafe, adjacent to the cable car turntable at the corner of Hyde and Beach in the Fisherman's Wharf area. They are famous for their Irish Coffee, a must for our trips to SF.

Edited by jlmarr