QM2 Arriving in NYC Sept 27

BlueRiband

For those who cannot get enough of your favorite ocean liner, I recorded her arrival this morning from Battery Park. As she approached the Statue of Liberty the first light at dawn began to illuminate her starboard side.

Wonderful, thank you!

Again, I thank you for your video. I haven't been able to film the sights you captured from a stationary position on Battery Park because I think it is an impossibility. Also the wake of the ship sailing through the water never seemed to vary, oddly enough. So please forgive me for being skeptical (I am a New Yorker, after all) but are we not seeing a bit of digital magic, as opposed to a raw video?

It's a digital consumer video camera which has some very good zoom capabilities. Just a few years ago expensive professional equipment would have been needed. The scenes were captured from three positions - at that point she was almost parallel to the park and moving faster than I could keep up. Annoying that wood mooring pillars are placed along the way too.

The video was put together with the MovieMaker program that comes standard on a Windows7 machine. Did you know that the scene to scene transitions can be manually stretched up to 10 seconds?

The music was purchased from an online vendor of royalty-free media.

Now I never thought I would have to explain that an amateur video, which cost absolutely nothing to anybody here, was not somehow deceptive.

Now I never thought I would have to explain that an amateur video, which cost absolutely nothing to anybody here, was not somehow deceptive.

Well, this video has anything but the look and feel of amateur's work. We need to learn from you.

It's a digital consumer video camera which has some very good zoom capabilities. Just a few years ago expensive professional equipment would have been needed. The scenes were captured from three positions - at that point she was almost parallel to the park and moving faster than I could keep up. Annoying that wood mooring pillars are placed along the way too.

The video was put together with the MovieMaker program that comes standard on a Windows7 machine. Did you know that the scene to scene transitions can be manually stretched up to 10 seconds?

The music was purchased from an online vendor of royalty-free media.

Hi BlueRiband. Thanks for explaining the process. I thought the video was very creative and that's why I was curious about how it was done. I'm sorry if my curiosity offended you. You certainly didn't have to explain anything, but as someone who recently purchased a digital video recorder, I appreciate your helpful hints. Thanks again, -S.

BlueRiband, it just occurred to me that when you wrote that you "recorded her arrival this morning from Battery Park", I took that literally. But the vantage point from Battery Park is somewhat limited looking up the Hudson and the Park is closed from 1am to sunrise. Now I'm wondering if I misunderstood and that you filmed from Battery Park City rather than Battery Park? I'm sure to many people, both places are the same and one name works for both. But I remember playing in Battery Park long before there was a Battery Park City, so - to me, at least - they are two distinct places. Sorry for any confusion as a result.:)

Battery Park: http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/battery-park

Battery Park City: http://www.nyc.com/visitor_guide/battery_park_city.75876/editorial_review.aspx

BlueRiband, it just occurred to me that when you wrote that you "recorded her arrival this morning from Battery Park", I took that literally. But the vantage point from Battery Park is somewhat limited looking up the Hudson and the Park is closed from 1am to sunrise. Now I'm wondering if I misunderstood and that you filmed from Battery Park City rather than Battery Park? I'm sure to many people, both places are the same and one name works for both. But I remember playing in Battery Park long before there was a Battery Park City, so - to me, at least - they are two distinct places. Sorry for any confusion as a result.:)

Battery Park: http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/battery-park

Battery Park City: http://www.nyc.com/visitor_guide/battery_park_city.75876/editorial_review.aspx

North of the Staten Island Ferry Whitehall Terminal and below Castle Clinton, OK? And yes, the cops flushing out the homeless people saw me with my tripod and said nothing. Are you satisfied Counselor?

Geez. Why the cross examination to explain my activities? Over a little video that I'm now sorry to have liked here? Please put me on ignore since you have doubts about my credibility and you just cannot and will not let it go.

North of the Staten Island Ferry Whitehall Terminal and below Castle Clinton, OK? And yes, the cops flushing out the homeless people saw me with my tripod and said nothing. Are you satisfied Counselor?

Geez. Why the cross examination to explain my activities? Over a little video that I'm now sorry to have liked here? Please put me on ignore since you have doubts about my credibility and you just cannot and will not let it go.

BlueRiband,

Please do not regret posting your video. Many forum members appreciated your effort, myself included. As a matter of fact, I enjoy all of your postings and usually go away with gratitude. I am sorry I have not expressed this before, but so often by doing so, one gets the challenge question of the day, which really does put one off from participation.

Jeanne

BlueRiband,

Please do not regret posting your video. Many forum members appreciated your effort, myself included. As a matter of fact, I enjoy all of your postings and usually go away with gratitude. I am sorry I have not expressed this before, but so often by doing so, one gets the challenge question of the day, which really does put one off from participation.

Jeanne

Hear! Hear! Looking forward to your next video, BlueRiband (disirregardless of how feeble mine are in comparison).

Paul

BlueRiband, thanks again for your reply. That you interpreted my questions as a 'cross examination' must be the result of my ignorance and my clumsy writing style. I have thanked you several times for posting your video, and for giving helpful hints on how it was made. At the risk of offending you yet again, may I say it takes not only talent, but also stamina, courage and dedication to film from that location - interpret that as you wish, but I mean it as a compliment.

Once again, I apologize for any offense. I must remember not to ask questions in the future. :) And with that <<<<poof>>>> I let it go :)

Edited by Salacia

Paul,

I thought there was a rule about regardless, and disregardless, and irregardless. LOL

Jeanne

No, Jeanne. The rule is about regardless, irregardless, and disirregardless. I know because I wrote it, years ago (irrespective of what you may have read elsewhere). Paul

No, Jeanne. The rule is about regardless, irregardless, and disirregardless. I know because I wrote it, years ago (irrespective of what you may have read elsewhere). Paul

Ah, it's coming back to me now. I knew there was a less involved. Points for that please.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program. Namely, wonderful forum member contributions.

Jeanne