Is a PG Tahiti cruise "hokey"?

aaaaa

Good day, I'm researching a possible trip and am wondering whether a PG cruise affords guests with the opportunity to experience the true culture of Polynesia or whether, instead, PG guests are exposed mostly to commercialized, staged versions of the Polynesian culture (e.g., for-profit dance shows). Would a land tour provide better/more opportunities for cultural immersion? Thank you very much for any guidance.

If you did a stay on the islands and went to a show the performers would still get paid, it is their job.

Yes there are a few places still rather untouched but they don't have the style of the PG.

If you want to emerse yourself in the Polynesian culture the PG or most places in FP are not going to fit your bill.

What the PG does do and does it well is it allows you to experience a bit of Polynesia in a very nice but informal way. The PG though very nice is an intimate ship, no big flash, no huge broadway productions. The crew is all about great personal service in an informal way. Many crew members are Polynesian and live in FP. Many are Asian decent but have been with the PG for many years and have become experts themselves in what the islands have to offer.

If you want Polynesian culture much of it in a very non-touristy way you would want to go to Maupiti, Huahine or Raiatea if you stay in the Society islands. You might wish to go out to the Atolls, Australs or the Marquesas.

If you want to cruise FP the best way by far is on the PG or if luxury isn't important then look into the Aranui cargo/passanger ship

For us it was the opposite - our experience on the PG was much more 'cultural' and 'polynesian' than our stay in either Bora Bora or Tahiti.

The performances that we saw on land were far less impressive than what we saw on the ship. You can't get much more authentic than Les Gauguines, or the troupes that are invited to perform on the ship while we were on board.

Tiki has said it all!

I would suggest Rangiroa or Fakarava as well where you can live in a simple pension and meet the people.

The big advantage of the PG is the Gauginnes local women from FP who are ambassadors of Tahitian culture. Mark Eddowes is another big asset an archeaologist who will lecture the history including social and cultural history of French Polynesia.

Other lines like Oceania and Princess will reveal FP to you but you will be on the outside. With the PG you are brought into that world in so much as a luxury cruise ship can give this to you.

I think a week on the PG and another in the tuamotus would give you a good combination.

Interesting question. Tahiti is much different than Hawaii, being a French Protectorate rather than being part of the US of A. The French haven't been able to commercialize it too badly, in my opinion, despite having the responsibility for Tahiti all these years.

Not sure what a "land tour" would get you. Perhaps a few 4 wheel drive excursions on Bora Bora and Moorea. Relaxing by the pool and snorkling/diving at resorts - which are run very much on Tahitian Time.

I think the advantage of the PG is that you do see each of the islands, and are able to drive around and see beaches, Tahitians fishing, visit the markets, etc. and are still able to dine wonderfully on the ship, and have a "home base." Visitors have an opportunity to purchase locally made crafts as well as pearl and shell jewelry that supports local families.

As far as the "true culture" of Polynesia, well Mark Eddoes (sp?) could tell you all about that. Much of the "true culture" of Polynesia left with the missionaries, and the imposition of Western ways and mores on the people. Mark, an archeologist/anthropologist based in FP, gives a wonderful lecture on "what happened after Captain Cook" on the PG several times a year. He also leads an excursion to various "maraes", the sacred stones erected by the old Polynesians in the islands.

Keep in mind that while I am sure it has evolved and changed some over the years, Tahitian dancing is taken very seriously by the people, and they have major dance competitions during the year on all the islands. This culminates with a Tahiti-wide competition held in Papeete every summer. On our last PG cruise, one of the major contest winners was brought aboard the PG to give a performance. It was outstanding! So, I don't know if they were profit-making or not - I certainly hope the dancers made some money from it = but it did afford the passengers a wonderful opportunity to see Tahitian dancers and instrumentalists at their best.

Hope this provides some insight into what a sail on the PG is likely to bring.

Southseasue has a point about the dances.

We were able to buy tickets for both the Heiva in Bora Bora and the Heiva in Tahiti. The former was a very local experience with local foods being sold to complement the dancing and story telling. The PG had tenders late into the night to accomodate us.

The latter was a huge extravanganza of unimaginable scale with over 1000 male and female dancers on the floor at any one time. You can you tube it to get the feel. I think we were likely one of the very few foreigners present as the stadium for filled with local tahaitians. There were also food stalls and others selling local handicrafts.

I was really sorry that I hadnt taken enough of money as they had a gorgeous wedding blanket for sale for just $175.00 Just the same type of blanket in which you can be wrapped on the PG if you are celebrating an anniversary.

I hope to visit another time during Heiva - maybe in 2014.

We have been to Tahiti twice and are going back in October for our anniversary. My wife summed it up by saying that Tahiti was what Hawaii was 100 years ago. Once out of Papeete, you are immersed in the culture.

Your question struck a chord with me. We chose seven years ago to live in a very rural area of Hawaii Island near South Point so that we could live as a local. We're 1 1/2 hours from anywhere, and that's saying something on an island, even the Big Island. This immersion is the only way to really experience the cultural soup of Polynesia. No single trip will allow you the time nor familiarity to truly experience the culture, but the PG does allow you to get a sample of the Society Islands, Tuamotus and Marquesas.

The LAST thing that I would describe as "Hokey" would be the cultural shows aboard PG. The locals are very serious about their performance, take great joy in their performances, and by staying two full days on Bora Bora and Moorea, you have the chance to see somewhat how the islanders live.

Not secret at all. Though I can tell you how to access the secret balcony if you dont know it!

Just personal information including my assessment of the cruise line what to wear what to take what to see. It was drafted for family members for a 10 day trip last year. My family who accompanied me had a lot of experience cruising mainstream lines but had never been on a small ship or a luxury cruise so it was really for them. Others who have asked for it said it was helpful and even give me feed back after they have travelled.

Because it is written in a personal manner I didnt want it on the net but am happy to send it to anyone who wants it- including you.

I want as many people as possible to enjoy the PG post Regent as I want the ship to stay around so I can continue to enjoy it in FP.

That isn't going to happen, just trying to encourage you to share openly. When you say it's written in a personal way but then everyone can have a copy then it really isn'y personal and as such should be freely given on the open forum whiuch of course is the purpose of the forum in the first place. When you PM that and PM this it suggest an attitude of "I've got a secret that nobody else has and you must contact me privately to hear about the secret." That isn't in the spirit of the forum ........... just sayin'

I love some of your suggestions and great info but I'm not one for signing up for "Emdee's" private club.

For those wondering why Tiki is flaming emcee, I sense a tad of jealousy. Emcee can speak for herself, but the forum is not the place for dueling professional travel experts. I saw emdee's suggestions as helpful, and it's up to her whether she prefers to post or collect email addresses. For me it was a good trade and.

Tiki

Sent to individuals is one thing but posting family members names or stories etc on an open forum is another for me. I know who it has gone to and who has access on the forum its open wide internet and its different.

I guess you have your quirks and I have mine.

FYI I am not a travel agent just in case you are wondering.

Wow.... here is someone doing others a nice thing by offering her hints for a better cruise, and asking for nothing..... and gets flamed for it!

These hints/suggestions/thoughts of Emdees are written in a way for other members of her family and travel party... She offered me a copy last summer for our cruise on the PG, and she was also on the same sailing as us. I accepted a copy by e-mail, and glad I did, as it was very much a help to my wife and I.

During this sailing we became friends with her and her family/friends, and did several tours along side them.

And in no way is Emdee a TA at all ... just a fellow cruiser out to make other folks trip a great one!

Chuck

Edited by Molokai-Chuck

Your original post said, "my PG Tips regarding the pG and FP." Now you fully come clean and now I understand. Yes having names of others in your info brings in a different scenario. I agree, I wouldn't want that on the open forum either, which is why I have edited several pieces of trips to remove personal friends and family from the information.

I have a whole library of info as I often get the same question asked on a weekly basis on TripAdvisor, don't wish to write the same stuff over and over. I keep it in a word doc file so I can edit every once and awhile and then after an update I have a link to the PDF version for the open forum.

BTW, Tiki is not a TA nor am I jealous, hardly...........

I just know the moderators on TripAdvisor prefer to have us give info on the open forum as much as possible that is the whole reason for the forum. In this case I understand why Emdee wants to email but I still would encourage making a modified version so it could be on the open forum. :)

Edited by Tikiintahiti