Bringing Euros With

4133Camellia

I always get Euros or whatever foreign money I need from an ATM in the airport when I arrive. It's the cheapest and easiest way to handle it.

I use a credit card for most purchases - I have one that does not charge a foreign transaction fee and when there is an option to charge in Euros or dollars, always opt for Euros. No need to build in another transaction fee from a hotel or restaurant! Be sure to advise your bank/ credit card company that you will be traveling - dates and countries, so they do not put a security block on your card.

I always get Euros or whatever foreign money I need from an ATM in the airport when I arrive. It's the cheapest and easiest way to handle it.

I use a credit card for most purchases - I have one that does not charge a foreign transaction fee and when there is an option to charge in Euros or dollars, always opt for Euros. No need to build in another transaction fee from a hotel or restaurant! Be sure to advise your bank/ credit card company that you will be traveling - dates and countries, so they do not put a security block on your card.

Agree, an ATM is the easiest and cheapest place to get Euros. This is discussed on the ports boards almost daily.

Not sure how we would know how much money you would need. We don't know how far in advance you are arriving in Spain. We don't know your spending habits. We don't how how many trinkets you might buy. Then there is the concept of tipping...

Much of Europe is very credit card oriented. Chip and signature cards are widely used. PIN and chip cards are likely only required at unstaffed machines, like ticket machines at train stations. Another topic discussed daily on the ports boards.

We spent 15 days in France and Britain last month. We had difficulty spending 90 euros and 95 pounds we had left over from previous trips.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I always have 300 Euros/pounds or the equivalent in any curency before I land just in case. I have small bills for tipping. I use ATM when needed but the cc is so convenient, no fee of course! It is a great trip happy sailing.

Agree, an ATM is the easiest and cheapest place to get Euros. This is discussed on the ports boards almost daily.

Not sure how we would know how much money you would need. We don't know how far in advance you are arriving in Spain. We don't know your spending habits. We don't how how many trinkets you might buy. Then there is the concept of tipping...

Much of Europe is very credit card oriented. Chip and signature cards are widely used. PIN and chip cards are likely only required at unstaffed machines, like ticket machines at train stations. Another topic discussed daily on the ports boards.

We spent 15 days in France and Britain last month. We had difficulty spending 90 euros and 95 pounds we had left over from previous trips.

If you usually always pay with a credit, remember most establishments in Europe no longer can let you add a tip on the card. This is especially true, since the advent of chip cards. So consider this when deciding how much cash you need.

If you usually always pay with a credit, remember most establishments in Europe no longer can let you add a tip on the card. This is especially true, since the advent of chip cards. So consider this when deciding how much cash you need.

Except those catering to tourists, where this is suddenly the ability to add it, along with a not so gentle hint about the possibility.

I'm fortunate to have a Citi Gold account which gives me fee-free use of the cards anywhere in the world and at any ATM. No conversion fees are charged, ever.

Getting money before you leave is a fools game, the worst possible rate, ditto with currency exchanges, and especially at hotels. Also, when a merchant asks you whether you'd like to be billed in dollars or the local currently, always choose the local currency if you have a fee-free card.

That having been said, if you want to start with some currency. Just take out a hundred Euro's at the currency exchange in the airport before you depart. You'll may a premium, but for EU100 it will just be a few bucks. From then on, hit up an ATM when you're feeling the need.

We do tend to leave a small amount in tips (as do the Europeans) and in cash on the table after you've paid the bill. Not much, EU10 is plenty for a BIG meal, and just a euro or two for a light lunch.

Embarking on the Oct. 26th Windsurf Southern Spain. Hoping someone could suggest what amount of Euros we should bring with us from the States and offer assistance on accessing cash once in Europe or onboard?

We normally pay for everything on a credit or debit card when traveling abroad. However, on our recent cruise ,Sicilian Splendors, we noticed that most "souvenir" and small grocery shops will not charge anything under 15 euros to a card.Maybe it was an Italian thing but it's always best to have some small bill euros when in port. Hopes this helps in planning your trip.

We always plan on the equivalent of $100 per day. This does not include expenses such as airport transportation (unless it is very inexpensive), SIM card top ups, grocery shopping if we will have a flat for a few days or more, or tours unless they are inexpensive docent led for a few Euros each. We pay for lodging on a credit card, and try to pre book things like theater tickets, tours which sell out or where we can avoid long lines for tickets in advance. We never leave home without at least four days worth of needed cash.

Also, you need to check the custom in the country you are in relative to tipping. Many European countries already include a service charge so no tip is required. For example in Spain, tipping is not expected.

We just did a trip to Prague, Vienna and Budapest, I bought $100 dollars of local currency for each country from TD bank, then i mused my TD ATM card for withdrawals, TD refunded the bank charges, having small bills in local currency when you arrive really helps things go smoother.