Solo On The Liberty Sep 2010

oregand

Hi All,

I am doing my first solo cruise on the 5th September on The Liberty of The Seas. Really looking forward to it but was wondering if any of you experienced solo cruisers had any advice for me.

I'm traveling from Ireland and will also be celebrating my 37th birthday during the trip.

Thanks for any help.

David

I’m surprised no one has answered you yet, so I will start off the responses! I’m sure you will end up with a few? (For reference, I’m a 40-something married mom, whose husband hates to travel, other family can’t always go with me, and friends either can’t afford or aren’t interested in cruising.)

I’ve done 4 solos – 1st on Crown Princess & the rest on RCL (Radiance & Independence) – had a fantastic time on all of them. I celebrated my birthday on embark day of the 1st solo – was a bit weird at first, but by the end of the day, I was very comfortable.

Regarding dining, did Anytime on Princess, Assigned table of 6 (main) on Radiance, and both cruises on Independence, Assigned table for 2 (main) – by myself. Advantages & disadvantages for all of them, but I think the table for 2 was my favourite? There was a nice balance between chatting with the people at tables on either side of me, but when I felt like a quiet meal after a crazy port day, it was nice not to be obligated to chat much (which you would need to at a shared table).

On all of the cruises, it was amazing how many times I was "adopted" by others on excursions, in various line ups, and while waiting for shows. If you have a smile, and feel somewhat comfortable chatting with those around you, you will have a great time.

There were a number of times I had a book with me, ready to be left alone, and it seemed to be a magnet for friendly people who insisted I join them, OR, if it was at the buffet or dining room, staff members would find another solo to join me. I didn't even ask!

I hope this helps, enjoy your cruise!

Enjoy your cruise. I just returned last month from my 1st solo cruise - it just happened to be over my birthday too. I had a great time and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I've actually spent my last 2 birthdays cruising - its wonderful to be waited on and pampered.

My only concern prior to my solo cruise was dinner - but it was OK. I was seated w/2 other couples. Even though I'm married (my hubby hates traveling) I think it would have been easier to be with other singles or friends traveling together instead of couples. But it actually worked out ok. One night I was the only one at dinner - it was kind of weird at 1st, but after a few minutes I was fine. Lots of attention from the waiter and head waiter that night.

Go and enjoy - life is too short for us not to enjoy every minute of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi David,

Not sure if you will receive this in time before our sailing, but I to am travelling solo on Liberty this weekend. Geez, it's a buffet of storms for sure but I hope they will all have moved on so we can have a smooth cruise. This will be my 4th solo cruise and I LOVE IT !!! You are going to have a great time for sure. It's also your birthday so even more enjoyable! While I enjoy cruising with friends, I really enjoy cruising solo because there is nobody to answer to, come and go as I please, enjoy quiet time. However, I really enjoy making new friends and solo cruising has allowed me to meet lots of great people that I still keep in touch with. Dining has really worked out well for me. I am always at a table of 6-8 people all of which luckily have been delightful to have dinner with each evening. I also will be seated during the late dinner as always. Perhaps we will bump in to each other or plan to meet somewhere if you'd like. What day is your birthday? I'm Stephen. If you'd like to contact me via personal email SPW68@carolina.rr.com Look forward to sailing the high seas !! :)

Regards,

Stephen

Charlotte, North Carolina

Archived