Alcohol/Bottle question....

Dj2008

I'm cruising NCL in a little over a month on Pride of America for the Hawaiian cruise, so this question is directed specifically to the ship.

Can I buy bottles of alcohol (most likely rum) on POA?? Or am I going to have to sneak on alcohol?

Before you judge me or jump to conclusions; yes, I'm being cheap. I literally just booked this cruise to save one of my girlfriends from having to cancel her entire vacation because the previous passenger can no longer make it. So, I unexpectedly, (yet happily), just dropped $1850 on a cruise and plane ticket out of nowhere - and that's not including any extras. Plus I have to take off 2 weeks of work, so I think I'm entitled to be a little cheap. Just saying.

I will happily buy a bottle of alcohol on board to avoid the sneaking it on if I can; if it's reasonably priced. Like less than $50 a bottle.

Yes, I like to drink. I'll be celebrating my 26th birthday on board and I plan on having several drinks at my own leisure and not at the cost of an arm and a leg.

I'm looking for honest, not negative, comments about the subject. This is my first time to Hawaii and also my first time cruising. I need to be prepared for a good time :)

Thanks!!

ALSO - I do plan on purchasing the beverage card and buying cocktails at the bar, I'm just trying to save a little money where I can. I'm a college student, ya know.

try the NCL board for details.

But generally NCL is one of the stricter lines for finding the booze. A search on that board will find you lots of info including the prices of the onboard set ups and what others have experienced.

You might research the tips too so that they are in your budget.

Cheers.

NCL starts the hard alcohol bottle prices at $80 per bottle (for what costs me $20 at the local Sam's Club). Look in the Bon Voyage section of your online paperwork and you can see the price list.

Be aware that trying to sneak on spirits usually doesn't work too well on NCL. You could instead grab some wine to bring onto the ship for a nominal corkage fee ($15-30) and come in under your budget. You can't bring boxed wine, though--just the stuff in a bottle is allowed.

Hope that helps, and I hope you enjoy your cruise! :)

DJ,

NCL is pretty strict with its checking for alcohol being smuggled onboard. They allow wine, but charge a corkage fee at the gangway for every bottle. I think it is $15 per bottle. Any other alcohol in either your carryon or checked luggage will be confiscated if found. If it is in the original sealed container, it will be returned the last night. If it is in any other container, it will be discarded.

NCL starts the hard alcohol bottle prices at $80 per bottle (for what costs me $20 at the local Sam's Club). Look in the Bon Voyage section of your online paperwork and you can see the price list.

Be aware that trying to sneak on spirits usually doesn't work too well on NCL. You could instead grab some wine to bring onto the ship for a nominal corkage fee ($15-30) and come in under your budget. You can't bring boxed wine, though--just the stuff in a bottle is allowed.

Hope that helps, and I hope you enjoy your cruise! :)

The bar setup with full bottles of alcohol that is offered on all other NCL ships is not available on PoA due to state restrictions and agreements between Hawaii and NCLA.

Bottles of wine are allowed both for purchase and to be brought onboard with the consumption fee.

beachchick

I'm cruising NCL in a little over a month on Pride of America for the Hawaiian cruise, so this question is directed specifically to the ship.

Can I buy bottles of alcohol (most likely rum) on POA?? Or am I going to have to sneak on alcohol?

Before you judge me or jump to conclusions; yes, I'm being cheap. I literally just booked this cruise to save one of my girlfriends from having to cancel her entire vacation because the previous passenger can no longer make it. So, I unexpectedly, (yet happily), just dropped $1850 on a cruise and plane ticket out of nowhere - and that's not including any extras. Plus I have to take off 2 weeks of work, so I think I'm entitled to be a little cheap. Just saying.

I will happily buy a bottle of alcohol on board to avoid the sneaking it on if I can; if it's reasonably priced. Like less than $50 a bottle.

Yes, I like to drink. I'll be celebrating my 26th birthday on board and I plan on having several drinks at my own leisure and not at the cost of an arm and a leg.

I'm looking for honest, not negative, comments about the subject. This is my first time to Hawaii and also my first time cruising. I need to be prepared for a good time :)

Thanks!!

ALSO - I do plan on purchasing the beverage card and buying cocktails at the bar, I'm just trying to save a little money where I can. I'm a college student, ya know.

Interesting that you are willing to "...buy a bottle on board... if its reasonably priced...".

So it's OK to cheat if the profit motive is great enough?

Interesting that you are willing to "...buy a bottle on board... if its reasonably priced...".

So it's OK to cheat if the profit motive is great enough?

Not everyone who cruises is full of money.

I'm cruising Royal next February with my family and the total cost with cruise, travel, excursions will be over $5,000. That's a lot of money for my family.

5 drinks per day for the wife and I would be about $60 at $6/each, excluding tip or DOD. On a 10 day cruise that would total $600 or more.

Sorry, I have no problem with someone being cheap. It isn't necessarily they are drinking too much, just enjoying themselves.

Not everyone who cruises is full of money.

I'm cruising Royal next February with my family and the total cost with cruise, travel, excursions will be over $5,000. That's a lot of money for my family.

5 drinks per day for the wife and I would be about $60 at $6/each, excluding tip or DOD. On a 10 day cruise that would total $600 or more.

Sorry, I have no problem with someone being cheap. It isn't necessarily they are drinking too much, just enjoying themselves.

Thank you!! I'm glad you understand :) It would be a little different if I had time to plan and save for the cruise, but I had about 45 days notice of going. And you're right, vacations and money are different for everyone. I want to have a few drinks on my vacation, someone else may want to do something different. I'm cheap. I'll be the first to admit that. BUT, people assume because I'm cheap that I'm going to screw everyone over, which isn't the case. I'm a very generous tipper, always have and always will. I'm just trying to save myself a few hundred dollars.

Archived