Yosemite

Looking on a well known excursions website there are 3 or 4 day trips to Yosemite. The prices are very similar as are the itineraries. So how do I decide which is the better trip?

Reviews all read well.

It will really just boil down to how much time you have available and want to spend in one of the most beautiful places on earth. In three days you will have time to see most of the valley and hike to a couple of the falls, at least to the base. A longer visit would allow more time to take in the beauty and do some additional hikes. Visiting the park is not like a tour in the city where you feel a need to see certain sites. A lot of time is just spent marveling at the majesty of it all. If you are able to do hikes with climbs then the extra day would really be beneficial and you should consider going to the top of Nevada or Yosemite Falls. If you are just going to do a drive by and see the sites then 3 days may be enough. I suspect part of that time will also include your transit to and from the park so look carefully at how much time is in the park itself.

It will really just boil down to how much time you have available and want to spend in one of the most beautiful places on earth. In three days you will have time to see most of the valley and hike to a couple of the falls, at least to the base. A longer visit would allow more time to take in the beauty and do some additional hikes. Visiting the park is not like a tour in the city where you feel a need to see certain sites. A lot of time is just spent marveling at the majesty of it all. If you are able to do hikes with climbs then the extra day would really be beneficial and you should consider going to the top of Nevada or Yosemite Falls. If you are just going to do a drive by and see the sites then 3 days may be enough. I suspect part of that time will also include your transit to and from the park so look carefully at how much time is in the park itself.

What's the weather likely to be in the beginning of February? Could it have a huge impact or just an inconvenience?

Just realised what I had posted. I meant there were 3 or 4 One day trips!! (the English language is a wondrous thing). I appreciate it would be a long day but feel it would be worth it.

Yosemite is one of my all time favorite national parks. I've been there every season of the year, and they were all magical trips. I've even done DIY day trips from the Bay Area. It's a long day, but the beauty is worth it. In February, there hopefully will be snow - everywhere, and the park will be extraordinarily beautiful. With the drought a year or so ago there was hardly any snow, but hopefully that won't happen again for a long time. Since you are going on a tour, you don't have to worry about driving in the snow - chains are required when there's snow on the ground. I never miss a chance to see this park... do you have specific questions that will help you decide on which tour?

Yosemite is one of my all time favorite national parks. I've been there every season of the year, and they were all magical trips. I've even done DIY day trips from the Bay Area. It's a long day, but the beauty is worth it. In February, there hopefully will be snow - everywhere, and the park will be extraordinarily beautiful. With the drought a year or so ago there was hardly any snow, but hopefully that won't happen again for a long time. Since you are going on a tour, you don't have to worry about driving in the snow - chains are required when there's snow on the ground. I never miss a chance to see this park... do you have specific questions that will help you decide on which tour?

I need to read the blurb very carefully but they all seem the same. Is there anything you would say I really should be looking for?

What's the weather likely to be in the beginning of February? Could it have a huge impact or just an inconvenience?

A one day tour will essentially be a long bus ride; it takes about 4 hours each way from San Francisco. The tour bus will probably drive the Yosemite Valley loop and drop you off for lunch at the Village before returning.

Weather in February: prepare for rain and/or snow. The trails to Bridal Veil & Yosemite Falls are paved, but can be muddy & slippery from the snow melt. Roads & trails to the upper elevations can be closed due to snow until the Spring thaw.

Now I better understand both your question and situation. As Philob noted this will be a very long day trip from SF. However I realize this may be a rare opportunity for you to visit one of America's defining national parks so over my usual objections to these types of trips, I will say go for it. The upside is someone else will do the driving and you can just view the sites as you go. There will be numerous photo ops. With this years winter we have had loads of snow in the mountains but I cannot ever predict that for the future as 2015-16 was a washout. It will however be cold as you are climbing into the mountains even if only going to the Valley. I always suggest some layers as I never know how warm the bus can be, and then it is chilly outside. I do not know the rest of your trip plans so not sure whether to advise a heavy coat, but consider a scarf and some form of head covering.

Generally the day trip should bring you in either the el portal or Big Oak Flat roads to the tunnel view. This is an awe inspiring site that looks out over the valley. You will then drop into the valley and drive past with stops a number of famed waterfalls, Yosemite, bridalvail, Nevada, vernal etc. as well as granite rock formation such as half dome. In a wet year there may be countless other falls many of which are transient and unnamed. I suspect all of the trips follow a similar route although they may differ where they stop for lunch and other stops. Good luck with your plans.

Hi again Babs. I went out to your profile to see if I could figure out your trip and now realize that SF is the endpoint of a long journey. Was hoping I could convince you to stay overnight in Yosemite but see that likely would not work. If you are in the City, what us locals call San Francisco, for the 3 days you indicated I might do Yosemite in the middle so as not to have a long travel day prior to your return home.

I need to read the blurb very carefully but they all seem the same. Is there anything you would say I really should be looking for?

My guess is you'll go to Yosemite Valley with views of some of the famous water falls and "big rocks", and possibly photo op at Tunnel View with one of the iconic viewpoints in the park. The Yosemite web site has some good information. https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/placestogo.htm

Thanks everyone. Still plenty of time to make any decisions, only one I would agree with is to make the trip the middle day of the 3. Would definitely need the following day to recover :D

The Queen Elizabeth is doing an overnight stop in SF so it is just possible that they may offer an excursion to Yosemite. I think we will do nothing until the shore excursions are out (not for a while yet) and if they are offering it I might do it through them. That would give us the 3 days in SF to recover and fit in a trip to the Napa Valley.

It's a hard life isn't it, so full of decisions, decisions and more decisions. And do you know something, I love the preparations almost as much as the trip.

I'm off to do some more research now :D:D

Thanks everyone. Still plenty of time to make any decisions, only one I would agree with is to make the trip the middle day of the 3. Would definitely need the following day to recover :D

I'm off to do some more research now :D:D

Hi Babs

In case it's any help with your planning, this is what I did last July on a West coast road trip. I think we got to most of the best-known sights and of course we saw a lot just being on the road. Of course it will look very different in winter and I'm sure you will have a great day. All the best, Tony

5iB__7szH_0

Great video. DH got excited when I mentioned a visit to Yosemite and then realisation dawned - he thought I meant Yellowstone and that he was going to meet Yogi Bear!! :D

Winter can be one of the best times in Yosemite Valley. The scenery is beautiful and there are relatively few people.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't bother with just a day trip to Yosemite. You'll spend nearly all the day on the bus, and most of that is on not-so-interesting highways. The few hours that you'll actually be there in Yosemite Valley aren't enough to appreciate it properly.

• 2 weeks later...
Great video. DH got excited when I mentioned a visit to Yosemite and then realisation dawned - he thought I meant Yellowstone and that he was going to meet Yogi Bear!! :D

Yogi is at Jellystone.