Snorkeling and Equipment

kaysie

I just have a quick question...........I've read on some older posts, that the snorkeling equipment on SD was a bit sub par. I'm bringing my own fins, and will probably buy a new mask and snorkel, unless someone tells me different. I also read you had to request the equipment the day before you actually wanted it. So, for recent cruisers, is this still correct??

I'm also looking for the best places to snorkel. Believe me, this will be the only exercise I get. I never even glance at the gym as I walk by. :)

We're going to:

Culebrita, PR

Esperanza, Vieque

Anegada, BVI

Nevis

Saba

St Barth's

Soper's Hole, Tortola

Peter Isalnd

Jost Van Dyke.

Any help from past SD cruisers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kaye

The stuff SD provides is marginal. We found the snorkeling anywhere on that itinerary hardely worth getting wet for, if you have snorkeled in Hawaii, Cancun, etc. That's not a SD issue as we felt the same way when we snorkeled that area on Regent cruise two years ago. That area of the caribbean is just not that great for snorkeling. Water is probably too cool, or the area gets "sterilized" periodically by hurricanes....

Maybe some of the snorkeing excursion boat captains know some secret spots. The snorkel boat we took at St. Barts was a bit of a bust, it just goes to a rock near where SD "parks".

That's a shame Ragnar..........There goes my exercise plan!! Yes, I have snorkled Hawaii, Cancun etc., but some of the best I've done was in St. Thomas (Right next to the aquarium), Antigua and Guadalupe, so I had high hope for the BVI. Maybe it is something about the waters there.........Hmmmmmmmm.

Thanks,

Kaye

I've never been to the first 3 islands on your stop - but there are several reportedly good snorkel beaches on Tortola - its was too rough last week for us to get in the water. White Bay on Jost Van Dyke has a good area on the right side of the beach (as you face the ocean) but again, it was tough rough to make it in last week). We lugged the dive bag and couldn't use. Shell Beach at St. Barts was so so and we didn't make it back to Anse which is reportedly better - again too rough.

Good luck. I hope you have much better seas.

FT

Archived