Dress Code

eliana

I remember in the early 1960's that the norm was for men and older boys to travel in suits. Today on an airplane one is lucky if the next passenger isn't carrying a cage full of chickens. Dressing for dinner is also passing away, but it's not gone yet. BTW, I'm one of those "middle American" slobs who prefer casual attire but I want to try out SS and intend to abide by the dress code. As for the controversy over the kilt question, I just don't have the legs to pull it off.

Love your post and reference to "cage full of chickens" - what a visual!:D

When I post on this board I need to remember that the majority of posters (as well as guests on Silversea) are not from the U.S. and therefore have different standards of dress. If my DH were not British, I would not understand why a kilt with a "proper" jacket (whatever that is) would be considered formal attire. In the U.S., formal military wear is accepted everywhere (although Silversea might not "get it".)

Your intentions to abide by the dress code on Silversea is great. My DH wore a black suit rather than a tuxedo on our Silversea cruises, however, since he needed to purchase a new tuxedo for our recent Regent Explorer christening cruise, he is looking for another place to wear it -- Silversea might be the answer!

P.S. We will be in Bermuda in November and appreciate seeing the photos posted above. We will be overnighting there and it would be interesting if someone dressed in the way depicted by the photos. After all, if kilts are okay, what about wearing a tuxedo shirt, cummerbund, bow tie and Bermuda shorts?

I find it odd that the dress code for formal nights is, essentially, exclusive of many nationalites and traditions - formal dress being defined as a dinner jacket or dark suit with tie.

Now, if I were Japanese I might want to wear my formal Hakama or maybe a Nigerian/Peruvian/whatever person might want to wear their traditional formal dress. That would give the MD a headache, methinks.

In fact, the dress code seems to be culturally exclusive if applied as advertised.

Edited by Tothesunset

TC,

The interesting thing about dress codes as you sort of point out is how badly they travel.

In the IC Lounge in Singapore there is a dress code in the evenings that they are reasonably energetic about. The people that really get upset are the Americans who like to be smart, but they cannot understand why the lounge allows people in shorts in, not realising that shorts are accepted in Singapore as being smart casual and even at a stretch historically, formal.

Jeff

Unfortunately we do get a 'vote' on your standard of dress WRIPRO. If it's a formal night, then the Maitre D' will have the first 'vote' and may refuse you entry to the dining room. Other diners would also have the right to complain if they felt you were inappropriately dressed. We know the dress code of individual cruise lines and should be choosing one that suits us as individuals. We dined with two elderly American ladies on our last SS cruise. They were pleased to see that a man dressed in a Stetson, fringed jacket, jeans and boots was refused entry to the MD on a formal night. He was not pleased as he claimed that he was dressed appropriately for a formal night in Texas. The ladies loved getting dressed up and that was there reason for sailing with SS.

No, you don't. Because formal now means you can wear a blazer and tie. No need for a tuxedo any more. On my last SS cruise in April there were barely any tuxedos at all. And many didn't even bother with ties. No one got thrown out of the restaurant. No one threw themselves overboard because outdated dress codes weren't being followed. No one fainted from exposure to more casual attire. No one cancelled future cruises. No one had to visit the ship's doctor due to an epidemic of "non formalitis." And everyone seemed to be having a grand time!

We will be on The Muse next July and with 9 different dining options, I'm sure there will be some that do not require a jacket(which I will not be bringing).

Sailing the last 10 years with Oceania and Windstar has made us realize that "casual" is the way to go.

I find that the dining room managers do a pretty good job of following the dining room dress policy. I must own a dozen fine wool kilts in varying lengths and clans. On cool weather trips, a longer one with cashmere and pearls, black velvet jacket and black velvet slippers seem to fit the bill just right with not a "sparkle" in sight. I'm mystified why people choose something that they know is not their style and then complain about it or refuse to just get with the program. If the company feels that the issue is affecting the bottom line, I'm quite sure they will adjust things. There are similar cruise lines with that vague "country club casual" standard that might be a less stressful choice......for everyone..

Interesting post. I always thought that you were a woman but wearing "fine wool kilts" would suggest otherwise. However, wearing cashmere and pearls suggests that you are a woman. Perhaps women are now wearing kilts?

Would be interesting in learning from others if women are now wearing kilts. And, if so, do they wear anything under them:D

Interesting post. I always thought that you were a woman but wearing "fine wool kilts" would suggest otherwise. However, wearing cashmere and pearls suggests that you are a woman. Perhaps women are now wearing kilts?

Would be interesting in learning from others if women are now wearing kilts. And, if so, do they wear anything under them:D

As corny as it does sound and a bit off topic...I grew up in the era where you still couldn't wear pants to school. Wouldn't you know... that rule changed right after my graduation year! Anyway, I guess it was just a very preppy looking area and it was a variety of short kilts, t necks and shetlands in the winter....knee sox and tassel weejuns Come spring and summer, out came the Lilly P. with Pappagallos. We were always told it was a classic look. It was almost like a local uniform......and everything still fits. I actually used to restock at Trimminghams in Bermuda before it finally closed it's doors. I can't imagine wearing nothing underneath! And the stuff does last forever. I'll be all set if that look ever makes a big comeback.

I grew up on the East Coast (Philadelphia area) in the 50's. We dressed in what is now referred to as the "preppy" look: white collared blouses with circle pins, plaid skirts or kilts, white knee socks and penny loafers. We NEVER wore pants, long or short until college, when we discovered Bermuda shorts, also worn with cashmere and pearls.

I was raised to always wear clean underwear every day--weren't you?

As an aside, I bought my jeans when I was 35; there are no such things as "dress" jeans.

As corny as it does sound and a bit off topic...I grew up in the era where you still couldn't wear pants to school. Wouldn't you know... that rule changed right after my graduation year! Anyway, I guess it was just a very preppy looking area and it was a variety of short kilts, t necks and shetlands in the winter....knee sox and tassel weejuns Come spring and summer, out came the Lilly P. with Pappagallos. We were always told it was a classic look. It was almost like a local uniform......and everything still fits. I actually used to restock at Trimminghams in Bermuda before it finally closed it's doors. I can't imagine wearing nothing underneath! And the stuff does last forever. I'll be all set if that look ever makes a big comeback.

........madras anything........

I am a hispanic woman and I wear kilts! My DH traveled to Scotland years and years ago and brought me two fine wool kilts. I wear them every winter in upper-upstate NY, with leggings. Cashmere and pearls are indeed a very elegant touch.

I remember in the early 1960's that the norm was for men and older boys to travel in suits. Today on an airplane one is lucky if the next passenger isn't carrying a cage full of chickens. Dressing for dinner is also passing away, but it's not gone yet. BTW, I'm one of those "middle American" slobs who prefer casual attire but I want to try out SS and intend to abide by the dress code. As for the controversy over the kilt question, I just don't have the legs to pull it off.

See that you're from Alexandria. Is Tunks still in business?

Tunk's is alive and well, probably busier than ever. If you ever visit Alexandria again, I would suggest either Bistro on the Bayou near the airport or Cajun Landing on MacArthur Drive. For the view though, Tunk's can't be beat.

See that you're from Alexandria. Is Tunks still in business?

Tunk's is alive and well, probably busier than ever. If you ever visit Alexandria again, I would suggest either Bistro on the Bayou near the airport or Cajun Landing on MacArthur Drive. For the view though, Tunk's can't be beat.

Wow! Tunk's and Alexandria! Great memories and great food! In 1994 I was loaned from the Army to DoD to evaluate the impact of the closing of England AFB as part of DoD's analysis of past and future base closings. It wasn't pretty and at least initially Alexandria suffered greatly. Went back to the Army and we evaluated the possible closure of Ft Polk but it survived and thrives today. Fast forward to 2003 and my wife and I had moved to San Antonio, Texas as part of a new regional command with Ft Polk as one of the Army installations we supported. Naturally I was assigned Ft Polk as one of my installations I directly supported. Nobody had been there more or knew more about Ft Polk than I did. Last visit was 2008 just before I retired.

Edited by Randyk47

The old England AFB is actually thriving. The housing is a retirement community. There is a new multi-million dollar commercial terminal. The old officers club is now an upscale, and rather good, restaurant named Bistro on the Bayou. Next door is a newly built boutique hotel. The golf course is still in operation. The old hospital is now used for clinics. There are also college extension classes and a diesel driving school. During hurricane Katrina it also became the temporary base for coast guard helicopter operations. Alexandria did indeed make lemonade out of lemons.

The old England AFB is actually thriving. The housing is a retirement community. There is a new multi-million dollar commercial terminal. The old officers club is now an upscale, and rather good, restaurant named Bistro on the Bayou. Next door is a newly built boutique hotel. The golf course is still in operation. The old hospital is now used for clinics. There are also college extension classes and a diesel driving school. During hurricane Katrina it also became the temporary base for coast guard helicopter operations. Alexandria did indeed make lemonade out of lemons.

Alexandria has recovered nicely. Initially it hit the city hard and when I first went there the Chamber of Commerce provided us "guides" to show us the impact. Back then the commercial airport was still on the other side of the river and very little had been done with old England. Of course part of the guided tour was to impress us that the government needed to provide more recovery funding. :) I didn't visit again until I moved to San Antonio and in the ten years since I'd been there the recovery was quite remarkable as you pointed out. I was very impressed with the reuse of England, one of the better base closure stories.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

we are booked in the Grill on formal night so the men will need jackets in bar before and after dinner ...what about during day for breakfast and lunch?? we will be there the first week of July on Shadow