Overnight in Civitavechia

seaworthy1

Am trying to decide, stay in Rome overnight (more time in Rome, and the night time experience) or train back and forth. How late does the port shuttle run? Does Celebrity have a curfew(a cut-off time for re-boarding the ship)? Any advice or opinions appreciated.

Am trying to decide, stay in Rome overnight (more time in Rome, and the night time experience) or train back and forth. How late does the port shuttle run? Does Celebrity have a curfew(a cut-off time for re-boarding the ship)? Any advice or opinions appreciated.

IMHO, spring for any hotel in Rome, the port is far enough away you lose what ~ 4+hours or more just traveling back and forth. Almost wasting the whole benifit in my opinion.

Definitely stay in Rome. Strolling around Rome in the evening, finding a nice little restaurant for dinner, seeing the lights on Trevi Fountain at night all add up to life time memories.

We were in Rome 4 nights pre-cruise and 2 nights post cruise in Aug. 2007 and enjoyed every minute of it. (Photos in the link below).

Kathy

You know... we just left Civitavecchia and I would have to say, I was quite impressed with the area just south of the port. Now, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't vacation there... but if I had an overnight on a cruise ship (with other time spent in Rome) I would certainly spend an overnight there. It is nice... the Mediterranean on one side of the street, and little shops and restaurants on the other. It was much nicer than I thought it would be.

BUT... I really would only do this if I was spending time in Rome before or after the cruise and just needed a stop for an overnight.

You know... we just left Civitavecchia and I would have to say, I was quite impressed with the area just south of the port. Now, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't vacation there... but if I had an overnight on a cruise ship (with other time spent in Rome) I would certainly spend an overnight there. It is nice... the Mediterranean on one side of the street, and little shops and restaurants on the other. It was much nicer than I thought it would be.

BUT... I really would only do this if I was spending time in Rome before or after the cruise and just needed a stop for an overnight.

Slight OT however we are planning on spending a day in Civitavecchia this summer and looking for ideas/suggestions. We have heard about the Thermal Baths nearby and thinking of taking a taxi to them. Was there anything in particular that you enjoyed?

Kathy:)

Slight OT however we are planning on spending a day in Civitavecchia this summer and looking for ideas/suggestions. We have heard about the Thermal Baths nearby and thinking of taking a taxi to them. Was there anything in particular that you enjoyed?

Kathy:)

Tarquinia!

• 9 months later...

I notice a comment relating to a port shuttle at Civitavecchia for Rome. Could I have some details on this please, as we are there for one day only and, obviously, want to get to Rome.

I notice a comment relating to a port shuttle at Civitavecchia for Rome. Could I have some details on this please, as we are there for one day only and, obviously, want to get to Rome.

The port shuttle only takes you from your ship to the port entrance. Because Civitavecchia is a commercial port, they do not allow you to just walk through it on your own.

However, it's quite easy to catch the train at the train station which is only about 4 blocks from where the port shuttle drops you. There are numerous posts on how to do this on these boards.

OH yes - do not confuse this item !!!! The port area is huge and commercial as Cynthia posted. Dangerous to walk around so most lines provide a shuttle JUST to get you from the ship to the port exit...... Rome is another 1.5 hrs away !!!!! Train, ship tour, private transportation or rental car are your options....... some are better than otheres ;)

Does anyone have a great hotel in Rome? We are staying 3 nights before our cruise on the Ocean Princess in Sept, 2010. Would like to have an airport shuttle or a inexpensive way from airport to hotel. Can anyone help? Thanks

Does anyone have a great hotel in Rome? We are staying 3 nights before our cruise on the Ocean Princess in Sept, 2010. Would like to have an airport shuttle or a inexpensive way from airport to hotel. Can anyone help? Thanks

I can recommend what many think is a great hotel -- the Albergo del Senato. It is a European-style hotel, fantastically located next to the Pantheon in one of the most central areas of Rome. It consistently gets rave reviews here and top 10 ratings on many travel websites. It's not cheap but definitely worth it. The best prices I've found are by booking directly with the hotel.

Very few (if any) central Rome hotels have a shuttle to the airport, but any of them will arrange a pickup for you for about 50 euro. Just getting a cab at the airport to anywhere in the central historic area of Rome should cost 40 euro. For comparison, the express train from FCO to Termini (central train station) is about 13 euro per person, plus you'd still likely need a cab to your hotel. As you can see, there's no really inexpensive way.

In early June, I plan to spend one night in Civitavecchia pre-cruise (have visited Rome many times so this time decided to just stay in Civi. and check out this small town). I read a lot of recommendations on CC for Hotel Traiano, I just wonder if anyone else knows of another hotel besides Hotel Traiano that they can recommend? I read Hotel Traiano is not near town, since we will have almost the entire day in Civi. (will arrive around 10 a.m.), it would be nice if we can find a hotel that has similar price to Hotel Traiano (85 euros if pay through PayPal), but is much closer to town so we can just walk around to check out the shops, restaurants... I remember the last few times when we took the taxi from FCO airport to the port, shortly before we arrived at the port, we passed by an area that has a lot of shops, restaurants... and can see the ocean. Thank you.

I have not personally stayed at either of these, but here are a couple that are close to the port:

Casamica B&B, Via Alcide De Gasperi 1, Civitavecchia, Italy

Hotel Porto di Roma, Via Montegrappa 27, Civitavecchia, Italy

Thank you.

Anyone else had stayed in a Civi. hotel near the port?

Archived