Cruise ship towels on excursions

Do you take the cruise ship towel on your excursions or do you bring towels from home? I know if you lose a towel you are charged for it. Has anyone ever had a problem? Thanks for all responses!

On DCL, you don't "check out" towels. You just pick them up as you disembark for your excursion. And when you return to the ship there are large bins to drop them, so you don't have to bring them all the way back to your room. There is no way to change anyone one, as they don't know who took one and if they returned it.

I know on other cruiselines they do make you check out towels and clear you if you return them (or charge you if you don't).

We don't bring towels from home. We just use the ship's towels.

HAL provides towels we can use off the ship but they sincerely request we return them. There is no reason to lose one. You pick it up when you leave and you return it to the ship. :) I believe they have begun marking down cabin numbers when you take a towel at the gangway and check it off when you return. Presumably, you would be charged if you fail to bring it back.

We always use the ships towels......how in the world would you "lose" them??? It's simply not a problem, and it sure beats having your own dirty, sandy towels to deal with all week!

People do not lose their own towels - it does not take rocket science to remember to bring your towel with you whether you are returning from a community pool, your local beach, or a ship's excursion. Somehow, people are a lot less careful when it is someone else's towel --- that is why many cruise lines make you sign for them.

Actually, we bring our own towels. I've seen way too many people "conveniently" pick up towels we knew were not theirs, to the dismay of the original owners.

The towels we bring look like a chamois cloth you use to dry your car. They look very unappealing; however, they dry by fast and take up less than the size of my 5 year old son's t-shirt.

Here's a link to what we use:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5024-431/msr-packtowl-personal-towel/?f=10&q=Towel

We also use them on our summer camping trips, so they get double duty!

People do not lose their own towels - it does not take rocket science to remember to bring your towel with you whether you are returning from a community pool, your local beach, or a ship's excursion. Somehow, people are a lot less careful when it is someone else's towel --- that is why many cruise lines make you sign for them.

I'm not concerned with me forgetting the towel. I've had someone take our ship towels off our chairs at the pool on the boat. I've even had my flip flops stolen while I was in the pool! There's always someone who doesn't bring a towel and decides that yours looks good to them. It's been a few years since I've sailed by Carnival kept a pretty tight rein on their towels. If there wasn't a dirty towel in your room when they cleaned, you didn't get a clean one.

We have been on 23 cruises and only utilize the ship towels.

One of our early cruises was on Carnival. The cabin steward accused us of not returning a towel. It was not true and left a sour taste in my mouth.:mad:

On our last cruise while on an excursion, our towel blow off the boat into the water. Everyone helped in trying to retrieve towel but we couldn't. Glad it was our towel and not the ships.

We take older beach towels that still look decent. They are thin but do the job and don't take up a lot of room in suitcase. We don't use it on the ship but for excursion only.

I hated it when ships started making you responsible for their towels and charged you if you didn't return it. But now I really like that! Why? Because if you see a towel on a chaise, you know someone is coming back. On the last day, at sea, on Princess, we couldn't find a chaise so sat in chairs. Right across from us were two chaises with towels on them and a newspaper. This was at 10am. When we left at 4:30 no one ever sat on those chaises! Have seen them put stickers on chaises on Carnival when someone has been gone too long. Think they have time on stickers. After so much time, the towels are removed along with the sticker and chaises are available for anyone. That's they way it should be!

Carnival provides you beach towels (blue, embroidered with the word "Carnival"), along with regular bathroom towels (white, no embroidery) when you get into your cabin. You are free to take the beach towels anywhere on the ship and in ports. Your steward exchanges all used towels for clean ones, or you can exchange one yourself at the towel station on the lido deck. If you lose a ship's towel (that is, they don't find the same number of them in your cabin as they originally put in), that's when you get charged.

So far we have not been on a HAL ship where they asked for your cabin number when you took a towel from the table by the gangway to take with on shore excursions.

But I have read on the HAL section where it seems to be hot and miss for signing out towels.

It is inconsistent.

Sometimes we've been in line leaving the ship and we've seen a steward with a clipboard mark down guests' cabin numbers, then he leaves or gets busy doing something else and a group pass by taking towels and not being asked. :shrug:

We don't much care either way if they ask. We would never leave behind someone else's property and not return it. We appreciate HAL permits us to use their towels off the ship and respect the responsibility to take care of it.

Carnival provides you beach towels (blue, embroidered with the word "Carnival"), along with regular bathroom towels (white, no embroidery) when you get into your cabin. You are free to take the beach towels anywhere on the ship and in ports. Your steward exchanges all used towels for clean ones, or you can exchange one yourself at the towel station on the lido deck. If you lose a ship's towel (that is, they don't find the same number of them in your cabin as they originally put in), that's when you get charged.

Yes, you explained perfectly the way Carnival does it!

Since the OP is cruising on Carnival, that's all that is really important. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Archived