travelmama06

Fly over Kauai  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Fly over Kauai

• Wings over Kauai
    • Blue Hawaiian
    • Safari
    • Sunshine

Trying to decide which excursion to take to fly over Kauai??

We are interested in going on our first helicopter ride but do not want to end up in the back middle seats - which is just the luck of the draw.

Wings over Kauai offers only window seats - is that right?

Advise or feedback would be awesome

Oh ya and one more thing wings half the price - hmm

Thanks

That is true about Wings. We are booked with them this November, can't wait! We wanted to do the heli but it's a bit too much for our budget, lol....I've heard so much about Wings and they're priced just right....so we're giving them a try :-) Happy sailing!

We did Blue Hawaiian in August. I was lucky enough to sit upfront right next to the pilot. Husband got to sit behind me and he said there was a glass floor which I did not have in the front. That would be pretty cool as well, and I don't think he felt he had any less of a view. It is pretty much all glass and the back seats are even elevated like stadium seating.

It would be nice if you could find someone who has done at least two different ones for comparison. You know Wings is an airplane and not a copter, right? I did not see any planes flying around in those Na Pali canyons. Not sure they can get into some of the tight spaces we were in. Yes, the price is less for the plane tour, but you know what they say, you get what you pay for. Just my opinion, but if I were going to economize somewhere on the trip, I would do it elsewhere. This tour is my absolute favorite in 7 cruises, including a flight over the glaciers in Alaska.

We we on Kauai on the PoA a couple of weeks ago. I did a flight with Island Helicopters that was great. I did a lot of research online before we went and discovered that they are significantly cheaper for what appeared to me to be the same flight as other companies were offering. My father sat in one of the back middle seats and was completely happy with his view.

Before I went I had wondered if a doors-off flight would be fun ... but after seeing how much rain there can be in Kauai I would save that for another place.

I opted for Wings Over Kauai when cruising last month on the PoA.

Budget was the 1st consideration... both DW & I could fly in a plane for less than one of us could fly in a helicopter; and secondly, there are way too many moving parts on a helicopter! :eek: In fact, during the flight, we saw one of the tour helicopters on the ground near the north shore. A mechanical problem forced them to land... although everyone was okay, their aerial tour of Kauai was over and they had to be brought back by car.

I must say, the flight was amazing... Josh was my "personal" pilot; DW had cancelled earlier in the week and the other couple that was scheduled to make the flight was a no-show. Since I was the only one on board, Josh asked if I wanted the co-pilot seat. :D I also purchased the optional video of the flight, which arrived in the mail about a week after getting back home.

IMHO, Wings Over Kauai gives you the most bang for your bucks.

I prefer a Helicopter because you go much slower and is more manoeuvrable when the pilot spots something.... he can hover there for a minute or turn around on a dime. You cant do that in a plane. Helicopters can also get you much closer to the sights. Just some thoughts....