An Introduction to the Ships and Classes of the HAL Fleet

Do any of HAL ships have self serve laundromats, or just the stuff a bag and send it off? Thanks

All the ships have the stuff a bag and unlimited for one price choices.

The Prinsendam has self-service Laundromats for no charge.

The remaining S-class ships and the R-class ships still have self-service laundries with a charge. It's $2.00 to wash and $1.00 to dry (or the reverse; I can never remember). The machines take quarters, which are available from the Front Desk.

Detergent is provided.

Edited by RuthC

All the ships have the stuff a bag and unlimited for one price choices.

The Prinsendam has self-service Laundromats for no charge.

The remaining S-class ships and the R-class ships still have self-service laundries with a charge. It's $2.00 to wash and $1.00 to dry (or the reverse; I can never remember). The machines take quarters, which are available from the Front Desk.

Detergent is provided.

Thank You for the info. Nicole

• 2 months later...
This was a great sticky. Even I learned a few things by reading them. I like all the Dam ships that I have been on especially the following three:

Statendam, Rotterdam, Volendam.

FYI I have been on all the "S" class ships, in the "R" I have been on the Rotterdam and Volendam. Hopefully I will soon be on the Zaandam. I have been on two VISTA ships so far" The Zuiderdam and the OOSTERDAM. I have been on two ships no longer in service: Nieuw Amsterdam and the old Westerdam ( Originally the Homeric.)

I don't think Nieuw Amsterdam is out of service. Scheduled to go to Alaska rt out of Vancouver, August 2017.

Is this the same as Amsterdam? or does it refer to a newer model?

No, they are not the same ships, and are not the same deck plans, nor the same size.

The Amsterdam is an R-class ship, one of the two flagships of the fleet, and was named after the city of Amsterdam in the Netherlands.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is a Pinnacle Class ship, much larger than the Amsterdam, and was named after the city of New York (the original name of NYC was Nieuw Amsterdam, as it was settled by the Durch).

I don't think Nieuw Amsterdam is out of service. Scheduled to go to Alaska rt out of Vancouver, August 2017.

The post you quoted is from more than 10 years ago---long before the current Nieuw Amsterdam was on the drawing boards.

Himself was referring to a previous ship with the same name. Holland America typically reuses ship names. There have been several named Statendam, Rotterdam, Maasdam, etc.

If you really like being aft or having access to aft views, you might want to note that there are two lovely aft decks (on both the Navigation and Verandah decks) that anyone can use but which most people don't know about. .

Are these "secret" aft decks on the Veendam?

We are in an inside cabin on the Verandah deck as far aft as you can go. Would be nice to pop out there every now and then!

Would they happen to have a chair or two on them?

If anyone has a photo of Veendam's aft, please post.

Thanks!

Trudy

Edited by Cy'all@C

Are these "secret" aft decks on the Veendam?

The post you quoted is from 2007. Two years later the Veendam aft was reconstructed to remove the pool from Navigation Deck' date=' add cabins there, and create a new aft area on Lido Deck. That has since been changed again.

You can Google for sites that show pictures and give Facts about HAL ships. There might be more updated information about the Veendam there.

Personally, I'm fond of sitting out on Lower Promenade Deck.[/color']

The post you quoted is from 2007. Two years later the Veendam aft was reconstructed to remove the pool from Navigation Deck, add cabins there, and create a new aft area on Lido Deck. That has since been changed again.

You can Google for sites that show pictures and give Facts about HAL ships. There might be more updated information about the Veendam there.

Personally, I'm fond of sitting out on Lower Promenade Deck.

Thank you Ruth for your quick response. On the deck plan it shows a staircase (leading up or down?) so it appears to be a small public deck area. I will be sure to check out the Lower Promenade deck! Thanks.

Trudy

• 5 weeks later...
Just heard from my TA that Westerdam will be having a $300 million refurbishment that will debut in April, 2017 for the 2017 European season. She will be brand new in time for our sailing.

:):)

We heard about this dry dock while on board. I wanted to book Alaska next year on Westerdam again, but was told that after the refurbishment she'll be in Europe. Where are you cruising? Westerdam is my favorite ship... I hope she comes back to Alaska the following year. She looked so amazing last week, I can't imagine where the 300 mil. is going!! I wonder if I should be worried about changes...??? I hope this doesn't include adding cabins and fooling around with the Sea View pool... sigh...

Does anyone have information about what is going to be accomplished during next April's drydock?

:confused:

We heard about this dry dock while on board. I wanted to book Alaska next year on Westerdam again, but was told that after the refurbishment she'll be in Europe. Where are you cruising? Westerdam is my favorite ship... I hope she comes back to Alaska the following year. She looked so amazing last week, I can't imagine where the 300 mil. is going!! I wonder if I should be worried about changes...??? I hope this doesn't include adding cabins and fooling around with the Sea View pool... sigh...

Does anyone have information about what is going to be accomplished during next April's drydock?

:confused:

We will be in Western Mediterranean- Spain, Italy Gilbraltar, france .. Cant wait!

I put "cold water please" in the note at the bottom on my last cruise. But even when I haven't in the past I've never had a color bleed problem. I believe they are quite professional launderers.

Thanks. I've heard about nightmares on other ships and that is why some either

1) bring too much

2) wash in the sink real clothes (not talking about lingerie which I always do by hand anyway)

Is there a clothes line?

Thanks. I've heard about nightmares on other ships and that is why some either

1) bring too much

2) wash in the sink real clothes (not talking about lingerie which I always do by hand anyway)

Is there a clothes line?

There is one across the bathtub and also across the shower in the shower-only room [it's a thin cord that attaches permanently to one end and a receptacle that houses the loose end across the longest length of the bathing area]. They will NOT hold much weight, but small, light stuff will dry nicely.

• 2 months later...
One of the most common questions we get on these boards, particularly from new members, is about the different "classes" of HAL ships - the Vista-class, S-class, and so on. Naturally, everyone wants to know which ships are in each class, and what the differences are.

With that in mind, I decided to post this "sticky" post explaining the different "classes". I hope this clarifies the situation.

Now, let's meet the different HAL ships, starting with the smallest and oldest:

PRINSENDAM

PRINSENDAM - Built 1988 - 37,983 Gross Tons - 793 passengers

The smallest and oldest HAL ship, she is in a class by herself. She generally does the longest and most expensive cruises. She is the only HAL ship not built for the line, she was built in 1988 as the ROYAL VIKING SUN, became SEABOURN SUN in 2000 and then PRINSENDAM in 2002. Among things that separate her from the rest of the HAL ships - she does not have a two-deck dining room or main lounge, an indoor/outdoor pool, or dedicated children's facilities. Her smaller, more intimate size and off-the-beaten path itineraries are appreciated by her increasingly loyal following.

S-class

STATENDAM - 1993 - 55,810 GT - 1,251 pax

MAASDAM - 1993 - 55,451 GT - 1,251 pax

RYNDAM - 1994 - 55,819 GT - 1,251 pax

VEENDAM - 1996 - 55,451 GT - 1,251 pax

These four ships are the "backbone" of the HAL fleet. They are virtually identical except for color schemes and artwork. They were the first new HAL cruise ships to have features like the atrium, the two-deck high dining room and main lounge, and the indoor/outdoor Lido pool. These very versatile ships have done everything from 7-day Caribbean and Alaska cruises to full World Cruises. Recently they have been upgraded with features like the Pinnacle Grill alternative restaurant and the Neptune Lounge concierge lounge (for suite passengers).

R-class

ROTTERDAM - 1997 - 59,652 GT - 1,316 pax

VOLENDAM - 1998 - 60,906 GT - 1,440 pax

ZAANDAM - 1999 - 61,396 GT - 1,440 pax

AMSTERDAM - 2000 - 61,484 GT - 1,380 pax

The R-class ships are very similar to the S-class, but a bit longer and wider. Unlike the S-class, they are not all identical. The first of the four was ROTTERDAM. Specially designed for longer cruises, she is the fastest ship in the fleet. She also introduced new features like an alternative restaurant, concierge lounge, and Internet Cafe (all since retrofitted to the older ships as well). VOLENDAM and ZAANDAM followed; they are similar to ROTTERDAM but slower (the same speed as the S-class ships) and are a bit larger because the aft pool was moved up one deck, creating more indoor space on the deck below. Unlike ROTTERDAM, they were designed for yeoman duty in the Caribbean and Alaska though they also are suitable for longer cruises. Like the S-class ships, only decor separates these twins. The final R-class ship, like AMSTERDAM, like a hybrid of ROTTERDAM and VOLENDAM/ZAANDAM. She is faster than VOLENDAM or ZAANDAM but not as fast as ROTTERDAM. Like ROTTERDAM, she was built specially for longer voyages. ROTTERDAM and AMSTERDAM, together, are considered HAL's "flagships" and along with PRINSENDAM they usually do the longest and most prestigious cruises - the World Cruise along with the various Grand Voyages.

Vista-class

ZUIDERDAM - 2002 - 81,769 GT - 1,848 pax

OOSTERDAM - 2003 - 81,769 GT - 1,848 pax

WESTERDAM - 2004 - 81,811 GT - 1,848 pax

NOORDAM - 2006 - 82,318 GT - 1,918 pax

These are the biggest and newest HAL ships currently in service. They were designed mainly for shorter (less than two weeks) cruises in the Caribbean, Alaska, and Europe. Like the S-class, they represented a departure from previous HAL ships in size and design. While bigger than HAL's other ships, they are still much smaller than some competitors' ships which are now sometimes bigger than 150,000 GT and can carry over 3,500 passengers (Royal Caribbean have now ordered a ship that will be 220,000 GT and carry over 5,000 passengers). These ships are notable because of the exceptionally high number of private balconies - over two-thirds of cabins have them. They are called the Vista-class because they are named after the points of the compass in Dutch - Zuid (South), Oost (East), West, and Noord (North). The first three are identical; NOORDAM incorporates a few design changes which make her larger and have a slightly higher passenger capacity.

Signature-class

This will be two (or more) ships which will be larger, improved versions of the Vista-class, much as the R-class can be considered improved versions of the S-class. Right now there are few details but they will probably be about 90,000 GT with a passenger capacity of about 2,000.

Great info. I for one keep going back to this post when ever a question about this comes up. We could use an up date, there has been some changes, ships sold, new ones build, more coming on line. Thanks for putting this together.

Allan

• 1 month later...
I found this fact sheet on HAL site. A good deal of detailed information about all the ships in the fleet.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/news/HAL_Fleet_Fact_Sheet_2016.pdf

Great find and fascinating information.

Sadly the "new" fleet that started with the Statendam, the first HAL ships that included verandahs (open balconies), has started falling off this list by transfer to P & O Australia, another Carnival Corp. line.

We made it a point to sail on the maiden voyages of these ships, Statendam, Veendam, Ryndam, Maasdam and Rotterdam (the first major alteration of the basic design of the "S class" ships with the most significant change being the highest speed and resulting expanded itineraries).

Unfortunately the usually reliable Fincantieri shipyard missed the launch date right out of their shipyard in Venice. As a result our record was broken.

Boy, that string started over 20 years ago. This getting old stuff really sucks.:o