Just returned from an NCL WIND Hawaii

NCmom

I've just returned and thought I would post my experiences--I learned so much from these boards prior to cruising.

HONOLULU: We arrived one night prior to the cruise. We stayed at the Ala Moana Hotel. This one is going condo, and was showing its age. We rented a car from Alamo, and wished we had not. I spent the first 5 minutes arguing about whether I would be charged a drop=off fee, even though my confirmation clearly didn't include one--then they tried to keep my confirmation. Then driving in Honolulu after 13 hours of travelling is not fun. It is very crowded, and the signage made it difficult to find things. We did Pearl Harbor the next day, returned the car to ALAMO and headed to the port.

HILO: I rented a car from National. The shuttle would only take the driver, so I had to go back to the port to get my family. I am a Emerald Club member, so all the paperwork was ready for me. I booked at a compact rate and was upgraded to a Trailblazer. We drove to Volcanoes National Park--awesome views. Stopped at Big Island Candies. Did a little shopping and returned to port--very easy

FANNING: I booked the Napali Beach Excursion about 3 weeks prior to sailing. When we arrived at Fanning, I realized that the time for this was noon. They would not let us tender over any earlier than noon. Since the last tender to the ship left at 3:30, I didn't think this was worth the extra money, so they let me turn my tickets back in and didn't charge me. We enjoyed the public beach very much.

KAUII: Again we had rented from National. Quick shuttle to the car. We drove the Waimea Canyon (another awesome sight), and then toured some of the small towns along the way. We returned our car and got on ship. At dinner, the captain announced that we had over 400 passengers left on shore due to a traffic accident which tied up traffic on the road, so we delayed sailing. Thank goodness, they were all onboard by 7, otherwise we were going to have to sail out of the port, and they would have had to tender onboard in the dark.

MAUI: Loved Maui, could have just driven around and stopped to see the view. We again rented from National. On the shuttle, there were two others--one who had made no arrangements for a car, and could only find on SUV available for $80++. The other was a lady who had booked hers at the airport and had to rebook-convertible for $79. Was I happy with my car--booked in advance and upgraded. $25 total for a premium car. We went to the Maui Ocean Center and to the Whalers Museum. Had lunch at Bubba Gump's. We returned the car after it closed at 5 (last shuttle leaves for the port at 4). Took a taxi back to port for about $11.

KONA: We just walked around and shopped. Hot and humid day.

HONOLULU: We stayed 4 nights post cruise for a convention. We stayed at Hilton Hawaiian Village. Not my favorite. This place was BUSY. The facilities were too small for the large resort. OUr sink bubbled with other people's plumbing issues (YUCK).

Am curious about the Napoli Beach excursion on Fanning. I reserved this and checked my departure time and it is listed at 7:45am with another one listed for 10am. Were yours listed just for noon? I agree I don't want to do this if it is at noon and you can't get off till then. Not enough time to walk around and do the beach.

Thanks!

Becky

Online, I signed up for the 10 am excursion, but my tickets said noon. I thought it was a mistake, or that I could still come and go anytime after 10 am, but the shore excursion people said that I could only go to the dock to get the tender over to Napali no sooner than noon.

I felt it definitely wasn't worth $75 (for the 3 of us) for less than 3 hours at Napali, so we cancelled. I was very surprised and disappointed by the time limitation, but the regular beach suited us great anyway.

Becky,

My family did the Napli Beach excursion last August on the Wind. Ours was scheduled for 7:45 am and we arrived shortly after that to the beach. After a short walk thru the trees, you arrive at a lovely beach with the finest & softest sand I've ever seen. They had floating mats, beach chairs, paddle boats, kayaks, etc. to use while there. It was very nice and relaxing. If you walk to the left to the end of the beach, it's very pretty. The water is very shallow and calm in the lagoon. You can just float and enjoy yourself. It was much nicer than the town beach.

After several hours at the Napli Beach, we went over to the main part of the island for a BBQ lunch and to walk around. It is very interesting to see how the paople of Fanning island live with such meager homes. The children were delightful. I took many pictures of the children singing and waving to us.

My children also enjoyed getting their passports stamped while at Fanning island as well as buying stamps at the post office. These are some of the rarest stamps in circulation.

All in all, It was a great oppourtunity to see what Hawaii would have been like years ago. I hope this helps! :cool:

Kathy

Becky,

We were on the Wind in June and went to Napali Beach. I totally concur with Kathy. It was well worth the money. I can guarantee you that if there was a change in itineray, there is a very good reason. Capt Lars was as accomodating as could be when we arrived late in port because of weather. When he could allow it, he stayed later in the port. Some of the embarkation and disembarkation at the tender ports can be a bit tricky when the seas are rough. You really have to watch your head and move fast when the crew tells to its okay. As far as I know, there was only only one injury in the process.

We had the 7:45 tender tickets and were off the ship and at the beach a short while later. Make certain you book the correct excursion! Just remember, they are trying to get 1700+ people off the ship!

Nancy

I have the 7:45 tour booked. Also have somethings to bring to the children and school. I started to pack crayons and then thought they might melt!

Is it just a short walk to the main beach from Napoli Beach? I realize things can happen and there is the possiblity that we will not make it there. No guarantees on any port! Thanks so much for the info!

Becky

Just curious.

On my Wind Aug. 24 itininery it shows Fanning Island of 8am to 4pm. Several of you said 7:45am tender tickets. Does that mean they show the 8am as the time to get to shore, and tendering starts before, at 7:45am?

Would that be the same at other ports, e.g. Kona, where it shows 8am to 5pm, then people can get tender tickets as early as 7:45am?

Thanks.

What we found in regards to tendering was that they first dealt with the people who had booked shore excursions with NCL, then they opened it up for others to go to Deck 7 and pick up pink tender ticket which was then called in order. I would say they didn't start with the tender tickets until later than the scheduled time--so I wouldn't count on getting a tender ticket until about 30 minutes to an hour after the listed arrival time.

I had no idea when I booked the 10 am Napali excursion that I would be limited to going over after noon--that is why I posted about it. I wish I had signed up for the 7:45 excursion.

I have the 7:45 tour booked. Also have somethings to bring to the children and school. I started to pack crayons and then thought they might melt!

Is it just a short walk to the main beach from Napoli Beach? I realize things can happen and there is the possiblity that we will not make it there. No guarantees on any port! Thanks so much for the info!

Becky

You can't walk between the main beach and Napali Beach. You have to take the tenders. You will gather at the Stardust Lounge where they will call you by excursion and send you to the tender. Just be certain to use plently of sunscreen and take water with you. It is VERY hot there.

If you could take colored markers or colored pens, I think they would be greatly appreciated by all. If you are worried about hurting children's feelings when you run out of things, you can always leave your items at the reception desk on the ship and they will deliver them.

Nancy

Archived