Pacific ocean January/February/March

calteacher

I know this is something over which we have no control, but does anyone have any idea of whether sailing to Hawaii from San Diego (more southern route) would provide a less rough ride than sailing from Vancouver (more north to south?) I know I may be flamed for this as there is no always answer, just wondering what some of your experiences have been.

Since we live in Southern California, it would be more advantageous to go from San Diego, but those cruises are really full. Thanks.

If you look on the West Coast and Hawaii boards, you will see this discussed regularly. Cool and potentially rougher the first 2 days out of the West Coast, and the last two days as you return. The northern departure will more likely be stormier, so, no, not smoother.

If you Google search Vancouver and Honolulu weather, you will get the actual, factual weather histories, so you can plan from there.

Not quite in your time line but close enough.

We sailed April 2nd out of San Diego for Hawaii and returned to Vancouver.

We were fully aware it could be rough and were prepared.

In all honesty, we had a decent sailing.

I couldn't really call any of it rough other than not being able to tender in some key ports.

But, we lucked out I think. And we were not complaining ;)

No one can predict what King Neptune will bring no matter what sailing they are on.

Having sailed out of both several times, I have to say January, February and March can be rougher out of SD than April (or October) out of Vancouver.

Really this is a take-a-chance cruise in respect to the weather. As KK says, it will rain. And we have missed Lahaina twice because seas were too rough for tendering.

With the possibility of missing Lahaina and/or Kona (tendering) and the rain, we see this more as a sea day cruise.

I would do it out of SD and try for March when you have more chance of seeing the humpbacks!

Unfortunately they do not offer the Hawaii circle trip in March from San Diego. That would have been our preference, too. Now, need to decide if it is worth it to fly to Vancouver and increased cost (plus shorter cruise) or take a chance on San Diego in January/February.

Unfortunately they do not offer the Hawaii circle trip in March from San Diego. That would have been our preference, too. Now, need to decide if it is worth it to fly to Vancouver and increased cost (plus shorter cruise) or take a chance on San Diego in January/February.

We went this past February 14th on the Circle Hawaii from San Diego. There was a Storm hitting Southern CA so the Captain diverted us South of it. We actually had a pretty smooth sailing going over with only one night a little bumpy. Coming back it was cold and windy from just about the time we left Hawaii. Seas were good though! Others we talked with who had done this Cruise before at same time of year said it was unusual to be that cold the whole way back! I think weather is a crap shoot and it's just how we hit it!