Cruisin' Green - Lets Talk Emerald Waterways!

gbanshee

Hi all,

I have been searching for Emerald posts and thought maybe we could have one thread dedicated for Emerald as well?

Just booked my very first river cruise! We decided on Emerald Waterways Rhine-Main Discovery sailing Amsterdam to Nürnberg. The itinerary looked different and more of what we wanted to see in Germany. We are 2 couples that have traveled together for years and are on our mid 50's.

So if you sailed Emerald or from Amsterdam to Nürnberg, do you have any tips for us newbies?

Thanks!

GB

Hi!

I hope you get some responses to this thread from experienced Emerald Waterways cruisers as I'd be interested to read some more reviews. We are also booked on an Emerald Waterways cruise next year in May. ( but it's marketed as Evergreen Waterways to us here in Australia).

We're doing the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise, a group of 4 couples, all in the mid to late fifties age range. We'll be sailing on the Emerald Sun.

I can contribute a couple of blogs I've found from people who sailed with Emerald.

This one was Nuremberg to Budapest, but it has lots of information and pictures of the boat. https://goo.gl/Rzd6v9

This one was Budapest to Nuremberg but also has lots of inside info about what it was like to sail with Emerald https://goo.gl/ohbnQi

I haven't found any detailed information online of people's experiences on the Amsterdam to Nuremberg route with Emerald Waterways, still looking for that!

All the best

Andona

Hi GB!

We did Emerald's Amsterdam to Basel on the Emerald Sky last month. It was a good cruise, but was also our first so I didn't have anything to compare it to. My only real beef with the actual ship was the lack of counter space in their bathrooms for all my stuff. We met quite a few people that had done a number of cruises on other lines (Viking, AMA and Avalon) and thought the Emerald cruise was better on several fronts, one being their all inclusiveness when it comes to tips, but also critical of the small bathroom.

I did a review upon return and posted it. I couldn't get the pictures to load in the beginning so scroll down through the posts and you'll find a few pictures.

I didn't do much of a review on the actual stops along the way because it was such a common itinerary that all the lines do and the stops were pretty much the same and had been discussed ad nauseam. However, one excursion that was fantastic, in my opinion, was an extra excursion to a winery - "Schloss Johannesberg." I think that was when we were in Rudesheim. It cost extra, about $60, but I really enjoyed it. You have to sign up for it a couple days before as they only have room for about 20 people.

Below is the link to my review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2403908

I do have the daily menu's/itineraries somewhere and can scan those in if you have an interest in them. Let me know.

Hi GB!

We did Emerald's Amsterdam to Basel on the Emerald Sky last month. It was a good cruise' date=' but was also our first so I didn't have anything to compare it to. My only real beef with the actual ship was the lack of counter space in their bathrooms for all my stuff. We met quite a few people that had done a number of cruises on other lines (Viking, AMA and Avalon) and thought the Emerald cruise was better on several fronts, one being their all inclusiveness when it comes to tips, but also critical of the small bathroom.

I did a review upon return and posted it. I couldn't get the pictures to load in the beginning so scroll down through the posts and you'll find a few pictures.

I didn't do much of a review on the actual stops along the way because it was such a common itinerary that all the lines do and the stops were pretty much the same and had been discussed ad nauseam. However, one excursion that was fantastic, in my opinion, was an extra excursion to a winery - "Schloss Johannesberg." I think that was when we were in Rudesheim. It cost extra, about $60, but I really enjoyed it. You have to sign up for it a couple days before as they only have room for about 20 people.

Below is the link to my review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2403908

I do have the daily menu's/itineraries somewhere and can scan those in if you have an interest in them. Let me know.[/quote']

Thanks! Will read the review. Would love to see the menu's/itineraries as well!

Do you remember the cost of the drink packages? and do both in cabin have to get it? I am a tea drinker married to a martini drinker LOL

I feel like such a noob since I have never river cruised before!

GB

Thanks! Will read the review. Would love to see the menu's/itineraries as well!

Do you remember the cost of the drink packages? and do both in cabin have to get it? I am a tea drinker married to a martini drinker LOL

I feel like such a noob since I have never river cruised before!

GB

We didn't do a drink package, but I suspect that they would require both passengers to get it...but that's a good question for when you get there. Another option might be to have your DH bring their own gin/vodka/vermouth and to have your own cocktails in your room...??

My Windows 10/laptop has real issues with cruise critics board and when I attempt to upload the PDF of the itineraries/menus via the paperclip option, it doesn't load it. I had a hell of a time getting my trip photos loaded, but unfortunately, I can't use Flickr or Shutterfly for a pdf. But, I would be happy to email you the pdf if you want to private message me and give me your email address. I promise you I'm not a weirdo (just seriously technologically inept) and won't use your email address for anything unsavory...

liz

We didn't do a drink package' date=' but I suspect that they would require both passengers to get it...but that's a good question for when you get there. Another option might be to have your DH bring their own gin/vodka/vermouth and to have your own cocktails in your room...??

My Windows 10/laptop has real issues with cruise critics board and when I attempt to upload the PDF of the itineraries/menus via the paperclip option, it doesn't load it. I had a hell of a time getting my trip photos loaded, but unfortunately, I can't use Flickr or Shutterfly for a pdf. But, I would be happy to email you the pdf if you want to private message me and give me your email address. I promise you I'm not a weirdo (just seriously technologically inept) and won't use your email address for anything unsavory...

liz[/quote']

You can convert the PDF into a JPEG and then upload it to Flickr or Shutterfly.

My Windows 10/laptop has real issues with cruise critics board and when I attempt to upload the PDF of the itineraries/menus via the paperclip option' date=' it doesn't load it. I had a hell of a time getting my trip photos loaded, but unfortunately, I can't use Flickr or Shutterfly for a pdf. But, I would be happy to email you the pdf if you want to private message me and give me your email address. I promise you I'm not a weirdo (just seriously technologically inept) and won't use your email address for anything unsavory...

liz[/quote']

Thank you so much for linking to your review and pics! I would love to see your itineraries and Menus too, so I'll try messaging you with my email address.

Thanks again

Andona

Wow, so interesting to see the fantastic menu and get an idea of the schedule! Thanks so much for posting. A question though; what is the "door code" that's referenced on the left hand side of many of the itineraries?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, so interesting to see the fantastic menu and get an idea of the schedule! Thanks so much for posting. A question though; what is the "door code" that's referenced on the left hand side of many of the itineraries?

It's an added security measure. While in port and I believe just in the evenings, the doors that go to the top outside deck area are locked. Its a pneumatic door (I think that's the correct term) and the code needs to be utilized to get back into the ship's 3rd deck. I believe I only had to use the code once. Never was an issue in terms of inconvenience, but was a nice feature for security.

I've just returned from the Emerald Waterways (Evergreen Down Under) Splendours of Europe River Cruise. I will try to write a complete trip report under a separate topic (and add a link here), but suffice it to say, I was VERY happy with my first River Cruise, and my Emerald experience.

Emerald is intentionally marketing to folks who like a mostly all inclusive (includes wine/beer/sodas at lunch/dinner, tips, and port overview excursions). I think they are doing this very successfully.

I studied all I could find on Emerald and River Cruising from Budapest to Amsterdam on Cruise Critic, and agree info is limited.

One bathroom hint: the bathroom has two very nice medicine cabinets. My travel companion and I did not discover them, and finally on day three our steward left one of them open during turn-down! Once we knew they were there, no problem! They are the "wall of mirrors" perpendicular to the sink for others that might not see them.

Door code is used as mentioned above for security, either at night or when rafted to another ship. Code is supplied at beginning of cruise and reiterated on the daily info. Also provided are the ship and Cruise Director contact numbers, in case you find yourself in town and need directions back to the ship. Also, there is a handy little card printed in each port with the exact docking location for the day. Very nice to be able to hand that to a taxi driver!

Included tours were excellent. Included wines were local to the region that you are sailing in that day, and there are other alternatives available if requested (such as Rose or sweet Reisling). Nice to have tipping included in my opinion, since I have heard that it can be an issue on other lines.

Emarald Sky staff and crew were excellent, and worked together better than any group I've experienced on my ocean cruises.

Dinner options included a meat, fish, and vegetarian choice each evening as well as "always offered" selections. Four courses: Appetizer, Soup, Main, and Dessert.

Hope this info helps. I will start a new thread with a full review.

Edited by 2012_Alaska_bound
correction

I've just returned from the Emerald Waterways (Evergreen Down Under) Splendours of Europe River Cruise. I will try to write a complete trip report under a separate topic (and add a link here), but suffice it to say, I was VERY happy with my first River Cruise, and my Emerald experience..

Thanks for your post! I really hope you get the time to post a trip report, we are doing the Splendors of Europe Cruise next year. I've been wondering what ( if any) of the additional tours to do. We have already seen Rothenburg so don't plan to do that one but I'd be interested to know if you did the Schonbrunn Palace Tour, or the guided bike ride, or the Vienna Concert.

Thanks again

Andona

Hi: We cruised on the Emerald Sun late summer, 2016 on the Danube from Nuremburg to Budapest & 3 nights in Prague precruise. It was a wonderful trip and I suggest that you also look at some of the reviews of Emerald on CC. We did both the Schoenbrunn palace tour and evening concert , both of which were excellent. We didn't do the bike tour; but from what I heard, it was fun and easy. I did borrow a bike & took a ride in Bratslava.

• 4 weeks later...
Did anyone else use Emerald for their airfare? We are booked on the promo that air is $495. I know that once we book the air we need to apply another $1500 on the reservation, but was wondering how the flights are chosen.

gb

We took a promo offer that included an AUD$795 return airfare from Sydney. When we told our travel agent our flight dates ( we are doing a little touring over there both before and after our cruise) she came back with a few choices of flights on those dates. The flights were with Singapore Airlines, we had no choice of airline, had to accept the airline of Emeralds choice. She booked our chosen flights via Emerald and was able to select seats for us ( I think she did that directly with Singapore airlines) We had a good choice of flights but we booked over 12 months in advance, I believe the choice can be more limited if you're booking closer to the date. Hope that helps :)

Andona

We had a good choice of flights but we booked over 12 months in advance,

Andona

Actually, just to correct that. We booked our cruise over 12months in advance but our flights were booked as soon as they became available, I believe that was about approx 330 days in advance.

Andona

They booked the same flights on Delta that I would have booked myself. The downside is, booking 330 days in advance the schedule is likely to change.

Actually, your flight schedule will probably change a few times (slightly) before you fly, since schedules are typically tweeked every 3 or 4 months. Hopefully you didn't have any "close connections" that might become even closer!

• 2 weeks later...

Booked our airfare through Emerald this week. I have been watching airfare (figuring they will choose the cheapest carrier for the $495 offer) and DL has had the cheapest option for months, but has a 90 minute connect in Paris. We did not want to do a 90 minute connect at CDG.

When Lufthansa prices dropped I jumped and that was what was offered to us. the layover is in Frankfurt in both directions and is rather long, but I would rather that than trying to beat the clock. I never win in those scenarios.

We were also given the option to upgrade to Premium Economy on Lufthansa for $450 and took the offer. Since pre-doing seats would cost $92/pp anyway, I justified the cost at $90 per segment for the extra legroom. (we have 4 flights, shortest is 2 hours)

I must say that it was easier than I expected and the woman at the air desk was very nice and helpful.

gb

Edited by gbanshee

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. We will be on the Splendors of Europe Amsterdam to Budapest in August. Could you please advise what kind of "guided tour" you got from Emerald in Budapest? We are staying some extra days when we disembark in Budapest and I'm trying to figure out what to do without maybe overlapping what Emerald will show us. Thanks so much if you're able to help! Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband and I did Budapest to Nuremburg on Emerald in June 2016. I loved river cruising. The atmosphere was great. I love the windows that will go up and down so that you can bring the outdoors to you while in your room. The food was wonderful. I had been wanting to post our review but life has really gotten in the way. Maybe sometime over the holidays I can post some pictures of our adventures from June 2016. We had a great time.