Florida to Ecuador One Way

Aisle4

Hi all. I'd like to travel from Florida to Ecuador one way via the Panama Canal and then continue exploring South America on land. Anyone have any ideas how I might do this? I'd like to get to the southernmost port in Ecuador. I guess that's Guayaquil. I can't manage to find any cruises going from the west coast of the USA to Ecuador that offer one-way travel. I'm also going to be traveling alone, so I'm looking for a ship that offers rooms for one traveler. Is this doable? Thanks.

I am sorry, but from what I have seen of itineraries, the Canal cruises that start in Florida end up usually in Los Angeles or San Francisco.

I have done the trans canal cruises and the west coast of South America at different times.

The only thing I can think of is to try to find a trans-canal cruise that stops a Puerto Arenas in Costa Rica, and another South American cruise that would go from there to Valparaiso in Chile.

If your timing is flexible no problem. Direct your favorite travel site to search South America and/or Repositioning cruises. I doubt however that any cruiseline would allow you to take a partial cruise if you dropped off in Ecuador.

I don't know of any cruise of the Panama Canal that goes into Ecuador. You might check on freighter cruises that would start in the US and makes a stop in Ecuador, but there are no mainstream cruise lines that I'm aware of that stops in Ecuador. Plus, cruise ships don't allow you to use them just for transportation from one country to another.

As for sailing solo, only two ships have solo cabins, and they are NCL's Epic, and they don't cruise in that area, and the Prinsendam, and she won't be doing that cruise either.

All solos have to pay what's known as a single supplement, which is usually double the per person fare. So, if your cruise would cost $4000 per person, (doing a double cruise, via a back to back which is what you would need to do if you found a ship that goes to Ecuador) the total cost to you would be $8000. You can sometimes find a single supplement for less than the 200%, but that's rare.

Do some research about traveling on a freighter. Some of those ships have a few cabins for guests. Will take some work on your part but you might find something that works for you.

How would you get back to U.S.?

Holland America has the Veendam leaving FLL and going through the canal and down the west coast of SA. Of course, it is leaving in Oct. HAL has several that go down the west coast on Veendam and Rotterdam. Check them out, just look for cruises to South America. I'm sure other lines do this, too. You would have to pay for the whole cruise, even if you leave early. EM

Thanks. I checked out the HAL cruise to Lima from Florida. I don't want to go that far south. I figured there must be a cruise that ends at one of the Ecuadorian ports. I'll do some digging about freighter travel. I'm tired of flying everywhere when I travel. I'd like to start doing more land and sea travel, but my odd itineraries seem to be prohibitive in most cases.

Thanks. I checked out the HAL cruise to Lima from Florida. I don't want to go that far south. I figured there must be a cruise that ends at one of the Ecuadorian ports. I'll do some digging about freighter travel. I'm tired of flying everywhere when I travel. I'd like to start doing more land and sea travel, but my odd itineraries seem to be prohibitive in most cases.

Check out

Regent, Oceania, P&O, Cunard...sometimes you can get it as one leg of a world cruise. But you don't have to stay on until the last port. You can make arrangements with the cruise line to debark at any non-US port (if the cruise starts in the US) as long as the country in question does not have cabotage laws that prohibit it. EM

• 1 year later...

I am in Sacramento, CA and have been searching a cruise possibility to Ecuador and have been equally unsuccessful at finding such. My plan is to cover the Galapagos, Machu Picchu, (maybe the Plains of Nazca) (yeah, I know these last two are in Peru) then maybe to Easter Island and Punta Arena. Looking for a travel companion - not interested in romance. I am 65 y.o. male and prefer trekking to organized tours. Anybody out there interested in joining me? Let's talk.

Oceania has one going from Miami to Lima Via the Canal in Jan

not sure on your budget if that will work for you

You can always ask to get off in Ecuador but you will still pay full fare for the total cruise

Archived