Organic Cruises

travel1234

Can you please post an answer here on Cruise Critic and let me know

if anyone can answer this question.

I have someone who contacted me wanting to go to Alaska.But there is one request that is very important to his family .......

ORGANIC FOOD

They want this as an option in their dining by either special menu etc.

I've contacted all the cruiselines direct without a reply. I was hoping someone here can post the answer on Cruise Critic if they are into Organic eating and what cruise line they found most helpful towards their eating needs. My client said they don't want just healthy eating but it must be organic. I'll check back later to see what you've all posted. It would rally help because I haven't gotten much of a response from any of the cruise lines that have helped

I don't believe that exists, on any ship. It would be cost prohibitive for a cruise line to go out and purchase all organic foods for just one person. While the cruise lines do attempt to provide special meals for health related or religious reasons, providing all organic food for just two people, for an entire cruise, is impossible. Plus, dining organic isn't for a religious or health related reason it's a personal choice, so it's not mandated by any law. I have to ask, how would your friends know if absolutely everything is organic? Will they demand to see all the food before it's prepared? And, just because something on a label says "organic" studies have found that a goodly percentage of what's listed as organic, really isn't.

I have someone who contacted me wanting to go to Alaska.But there is one request that is very important to his family .......

ORGANIC FOOD

They want this as an option in their dining by either special menu etc.

I've contacted all the cruise lines direct without a reply. I was hoping someone here can post the answer on Cruise Critic if they are into Organic eating and what cruise line they found most helpful towards their eating needs. My client said they don't want just healthy eating but it must be organic. I'll check back later to see what you've all posted. It would rally help because I haven't gotten much of a response from any of the cruise lines that have helped

The cruise line provide special diets for passengers that have serious illnesses that require these special diets. Such as diabetic diet or Gluten free diets - these are people that could actually die if they do not follow their diet 'very' carefully.

If these folks want to eat nuts and berries tell them to go camping and pick there own. These ships have thousands of passengers to feed that want safe, healthy, tasty food and as stated they also provide other special diets for health reasons. Perhaps Al Gore could arrange a cruise for them.

I, personally, would put the legwork on THEM. You've already done some work on it.

I could be way off base here, but I don't think one week of eating non-organic is going to cause them significant difficulty. I don't know this for certain, as it could be that a body never subjected to additives will have a serious reaction.

• 5 years later...

ORGANIC FOOD

Just contact the cruise line special needs department.

I don't think there would be any problem getting a couple bales of hay to meet their needs.:rolleyes:

Good luck finding a cruise. Please report back if you hear anything from the cruise lines. I would love organic food on a cruise but I don't put much stock in the "USDA Organic" seal of approval.

Interesting factoid: Anything labeled "USDA Organic" only has to be 95% organic. It could be 100% organic, but the seal on the label doesn't mean it is always 100%. There could be up to 5% pesticides:mad:

USDA link

Look under the heading "How Do I Know If My Food Is Organic?"

Truly organic food is hard to find. It is also truly costly -- and certainly so uneconomic to produce that only a very small portion of humanity could survive on truly organic food. Insisting on truly organic food is an exercise in elitism - I couldn't care less what airs such people put on, but I have to wonder at the inconsistency of wanting to sail on a non-organic vessel while insisting on organic food. I would think they would only sail on windjammers.

A friend in the food business has told me that "organic" means putting on a label that says "organic" and raising the prices. The OP might want to consider that ecoli only comes from "organic" fertilizer. The bottom line is that there is very little regulation or policing regarding products called "organic" and about the only way you can be sure is to grow the stuff yourself :) Your friend will not find any cruise ship that meets the "organic" standard (whatever that may be).

Hank

ORGANIC FOOD

no such thing. not even a small high end upscale luxury cruise line can offer anything like that.

Archived