What Cunard traditions are you excited for on Queen Victoria?

melissa@cruisecritic

I'm glad to see this back:  

245 members have voted

1. 1. I'm glad to see this back:

• Todd English
    • Champagne Bar
    • Royal Court Theatre
    • Library
    • The Chart Room
    • Winter Garden
    • Golden Lion Pub
    • The Commodore Club
    • Churchill's Cigar Bar
    • Other (please post)

As we learned on our recent shipyard tour (check out our photos and video), Queen Victoria is both similar and different to its much larger sibling Queen Mary 2. What carry-over favorites are you most excited about? Check off all that apply -- and post below what spaces you'll miss, too (my picks are the Canyon Ranch spa and planetarium)!

I posted 'other' - as 'Afternoon Tea' - lets just hope its at 4.00pm daily as on the QE2, and not the moveable feast as on the QM2.....

Of the 'traditions' listed the majority are only on the QM2 - so how 'traditional' something 3 years old is may be problematic......of those listed only the Champagne Bar, Library, Chart Room and Golden Lion also appear on the QE2....and the Champagne Bar on the QE2 is a very different space from that on the QM2/QV.

From the photographs it does appear as though the QV's Library will be a stunner - and the Queen's Room (better watch that apostrophe as they keep changing their 'which Queen its named after' story....) also looks grand. A real, lost tradition - the Winter Garden - might be a more successful space on the QV than on the QM2. I'm glad to see the Commodore Club - but wait to see how it looks - the spaces on similar ships are reported as cramped, with low ceilings......

I also wonder why the brand tie-ins - Veuve Cliquot, Canyon Ranch have gone from the QV - I just hope they will be serving real champagne......

Peter

I'm glad to see the Commodore Club - but wait to see how it looks - the spaces on similar ships are reported as cramped, with low ceilings......

Indeed. What makes the Commodore Club so lovely is not the name or concept, but something about the space and set up that works.

Often these things are not repeatable.

The real Cunard traditions do not require specific rooms as "destinations" per se - good eating, drinking and company is what makes the on board entertainment.

What is called "entertainment" really is very rarely entertaining.

Matthew

The real Cunard traditions do not require specific rooms as "destinations" per se - good eating, drinking and company is what makes the on board entertainment.

Precisely - its not about the rooms on board or the acres of fake wood they have glued to the bulkheads, - but about the atmosphere - civilised talks by people who know their stuff, Afternoon Tea, Dressing for Dinner and laughter that comes from the mind not the belly.....

Imagine for some reason a shipload of Cunard passengers had to be transferred, with crew, onto another line's ship - my bet is that it would very quickly feel like a Cunard ship. Similarly, a boatload of Carnival passengers and crew transferred onto the QV would quickly make her a 'Fun Ship' - and why shouldn't they? In each case the backdrops might be a bit incongruous - but the atmosphere comes from the people.

Its a bit like going to to a play and expecting the sets to do most of the work, rather than the actors.

I wonder if the Editor who posted the poll has ever been on a Cunard sailing?

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
Indeed. What makes the Commodore Club so lovely is not the name or concept, but something about the space and set up that works.

Often these things are not repeatable.

Did I not read somewhere that the Commodore Club was of French design?

Queen Mary 2: Genesis of a Queen - page 46: "Commorodore Club - a place to be seen in... This 115 seat room, outfitted by Atelier Du Marais, France, evokes the era of Queen Mary and her original first-class cocktail observation lounge.

OK, just my humble opinion, but in the world of Ocean Liner Interior Decoration, the Commodore Club does has that special something that only the French can seemingly achieve. My point being that the QV rendition, from the artist's drawings, appear to be going after a completely different look. Which I think is wise, as the QM2's Commodore Club can now only be imitated.

Archived