Allure Sailing Cancelled, Now Sailing with Independence?

Hi all,

Posting as castlebride14 but I'm actually her fiance. As some of you may know, we were originally booked to sail on the Allure from Fort Lauderdale on the 23rd February sailing that has now been cancelled. Over the past few days, we've been trying to find a solution as to what to do now.

To give you a bit of background, we're Irish, we booked directly with RCI through their website last July, and we're flying into Fort Lauderdale on the 22nd February.

We found out that the sailing was cancelled last Thursday, via the forums here (which have been immensely helpful for us) and the press release on the RCI website. The next morning, I rang the Irish contact number on the RCI website and got their UK office. At that time they were not aware that the sailing was cancelled and asked that I call back. At about 4pm that day, I finally received confirmation from RCI by email that our sailing was cancelled.

RCI gave us three options

1) Book a sailing on the Allure/Oasis on earlier dates, the latest being the 22nd Feb, with the same accomodation at the same fare, depending on availability.

2) Re-book on another sailing, with the guest responsible for the extra cost if the new cruise is more expensive, or alternatively receiving a refund of the difference if the new cruise is less expensive.

3) A full refund.

With the first two options, we would receive $200 OBC for the replacement cruise - if we had a Suite this would have been $400 OBC.

We decided to go for option 2, to take the 6 night Western Carribean cruise on the Independence out of Fort Lauderdale on the 23rd, as this meant that we wouldn't have to change flights etc.

However, this is where it starts to get a little frustrating. When it came to the total price (for both of us) for the 6 night trip on the smaller Independence, this was only €100/$135 dollars less than the 7 night trip on the Allure. Yes we had the $200 OBC but we weren't happy that the price was so similar for a shorter trip on a smaller ship.

Bearing in mind that we would now have to pay an extra night at a hotel, along with meals for an extra day, we were less than satisfied with this and rang RCI (always the UK office) to express our disappointment.

They came back with two further offers:

1) A Junior Suite on the Independence, at the same total price as we had paid for a D5 category room on the Allure, with $200 OBC.

2) A D1 category room on the Independence, at the same total price as we had paid for a D5 category room on the Allure, with $400 OBC.

To be honest, I am still less than happy with this. I completely understand that the Allure needed the repairs, and this was the week chosen to do it - that's life sometimes. But what I can't understand is why RCI are asking us to pay the same price for a 6 night cruise on a lower class ship, as they were for a 7 night cruise on the Allure. If we do take either of the offers for the Independence, it will cost us more per person per night than our original booking for the Allure - even when the OBC is taken into account.

Maybe I am being a little too precious here, but it just seems to me like RCI aren't overly worried about those that were booked onto the cancelled Allure sailing - those who can change their flights/holidays can book onto one of the suggested sailings, and the rest can either get their refund and try elsewhere, or take a pretty miserly offer (in my experience) and cruise with the Independence.

I'd just like to know if anyone has any suggestions as to what we should do - at this stage I just want to get it sorted so that we can go back to planning our wedding. I've been very forthright with RCI, and told them I would more than likely cancel after getting the above offers today. We've looked at other cruise lines around that time but none are really giving us the 'wow' factor that Allure did when we first booked - so I guess I'm here for your advice, which as I've said has been very helpful to us since our honeymoon got thrown this curveball last Thursday.

Should RCI be putting down better offers than those mentioned, or am I expecting too much?

Thanks for reading :)

Danny

Hi all,

Posting as castlebride14 but I'm actually her fiance. As some of you may know, we were originally booked to sail on the Allure from Fort Lauderdale on the 23rd February sailing that has now been cancelled. Over the past few days, we've been trying to find a solution as to what to do now.

To give you a bit of background, we're Irish, we booked directly with RCI through their website last July, and we're flying into Fort Lauderdale on the 22nd February.

We found out that the sailing was cancelled last Thursday, via the forums here (which have been immensely helpful for us) and the press release on the RCI website. The next morning, I rang the Irish contact number on the RCI website and got their UK office. At that time they were not aware that the sailing was cancelled and asked that I call back. At about 4pm that day, I finally received confirmation from RCI by email that our sailing was cancelled.

RCI gave us three options

1) Book a sailing on the Allure/Oasis on earlier dates, the latest being the 22nd Feb, with the same accomodation at the same fare, depending on availability.

2) Re-book on another sailing, with the guest responsible for the extra cost if the new cruise is more expensive, or alternatively receiving a refund of the difference if the new cruise is less expensive.

3) A full refund.

With the first two options, we would receive $200 OBC for the replacement cruise - if we had a Suite this would have been $400 OBC.

We decided to go for option 2, to take the 6 night Western Carribean cruise on the Independence out of Fort Lauderdale on the 23rd, as this meant that we wouldn't have to change flights etc.

However, this is where it starts to get a little frustrating. When it came to the total price (for both of us) for the 6 night trip on the smaller Independence, this was only €100/$135 dollars less than the 7 night trip on the Allure. Yes we had the $200 OBC but we weren't happy that the price was so similar for a shorter trip on a smaller ship.

Bearing in mind that we would now have to pay an extra night at a hotel, along with meals for an extra day, we were less than satisfied with this and rang RCI (always the UK office) to express our disappointment.

They came back with two further offers:

1) A Junior Suite on the Independence, at the same total price as we had paid for a D5 category room on the Allure, with $200 OBC.

2) A D1 category room on the Independence, at the same total price as we had paid for a D5 category room on the Allure, with $400 OBC.

To be honest, I am still less than happy with this. I completely understand that the Allure needed the repairs, and this was the week chosen to do it - that's life sometimes. But what I can't understand is why RCI are asking us to pay the same price for a 6 night cruise on a lower class ship, as they were for a 7 night cruise on the Allure. If we do take either of the offers for the Independence, it will cost us more per person per night than our original booking for the Allure - even when the OBC is taken into account.

Maybe I am being a little too precious here, but it just seems to me like RCI aren't overly worried about those that were booked onto the cancelled Allure sailing - those who can change their flights/holidays can book onto one of the suggested sailings, and the rest can either get their refund and try elsewhere, or take a pretty miserly offer (in my experience) and cruise with the Independence.

I'd just like to know if anyone has any suggestions as to what we should do - at this stage I just want to get it sorted so that we can go back to planning our wedding. I've been very forthright with RCI, and told them I would more than likely cancel after getting the above offers today. We've looked at other cruise lines around that time but none are really giving us the 'wow' factor that Allure did when we first booked - so I guess I'm here for your advice, which as I've said has been very helpful to us since our honeymoon got thrown this curveball last Thursday.

Should RCI be putting down better offers than those mentioned, or am I expecting too much?

Thanks for reading :)

Danny

Danny, you seem like a real nice guy so I'm going to say what I think. Since you asked for it, here goes.

I would take the JS on Indy and go back to planning the wedding.

Planning the wedding...........you are about to be married so IMHO everything is hitting you just a little harder than normal. The difference between Indy and Allure is not that great, especially for your honeymoon. There are folks that will say that's not true but I feel like you will not care after it is all said and done. Take that Allure trip some other time (anniversary) and see for yourself. ;)

Now, about price difference. The prices are out there for everybody and that's what they are. Don't give the comparison another thought. It is just plan and simple marketing. Take what you want, relax, and enjoy your bride! Wishing you all the best! :)

Danny, is there no way you would consider changing your flights and go with the Oasis on the 22nd? Will this conflict with the actual wedding or do you have time between that you would be able to swap flights?

You really seem like you want all that the Oasis class has to offer and aren't going to be happy with a smaller ship even a "smaller" ship like Indy (it really is huge).

If you really won't change your flights, then I would take the JS on Indy and call it a day and move on to your wedding plans. I know I would be devasted if the honeymoon I had planned was cancelled this close to the wedding but you guys really need to make a decision, accept it and move on. Just think, you still have to figure out who sits with who at the wedding, you think you are stressed now:eek:;):D

I think you are just disappointed about the change of plans right now, but IMO the JS offer is a very good offer.

Priceline a 4 star hotel in Fort Lauderdale for around $100 and take it for what it is.... And enjoy that JS!!!

One more option to potentially look at is Freedom. I'm sure you have already looked at that, but it would be 7 days Sunday-Sunday and its only a few hours from Fort Lauderdale. If you could get the JS + OBC offer on Freedom I would probably go that route unless you are dead set against not having to arrange transportation to Cape Canaveral.

Edited by kruzerci

And isn't RCI also offering to cover the cost of changing airline reservations if necessary? If so, I would change and take the Feb. 22 Oasis. If not, I encourage you to accept the OBC of $400 (or take the Jr. Suite and $200) offer. Ft. Lauderdale is a lovely city to be "stuck in" for an extra night. Just do some research on Fr. Lauderdale.

Danny, if you have never cruised before I am not sure you would have been any more pleased with the Allure than the Indy. They are both phenomenal expeiences. I often recommend that people doing their first cruise not pick the penultimate ship. You will be impressed with the Indy, and then when you go on the Allure for your second anniversary, you will again be wowed.

That said, I and my bride of 32 years spent a weekend at a summer resort in January, and she forgot her glasses and she couldn't even enjoy television in the room as we had a snow storm outside.

If you really want an Oasis class ship you don't have many options because right now there are only two, and one is out of service the week you are going to be cruising. When is your wedding. I am not a fan of flying the same day as a ship is sailing because air planes don't always fly the day they are scheduled.

Fort Lauderdale has a lot to offer. I am a big fan of not rushing to and from a cruise.

jc

And isn't RCI also offering to cover the cost of changing airline reservations if necessary? If so, I would change and take the Feb. 22 Oasis. If not, I encourage you to accept the OBC of $400 (or take the Jr. Suite and $200) offer. Ft. Lauderdale is a lovely city to be "stuck in" for an extra night. Just do some research on Fr. Lauderdale.

1-Before final payment I would never lock in an airline reservation that charged to change.

2-Choice Air (booking thru RCI) would have taken care of the change.

IMHO: Trip insurance would likely NOT take care of the change because it is outside of final payment. Don't know that for sure.

1-Before final payment I would never lock in an airline reservation that charged to change.

2-Choice Air (booking thru RCI) would have taken care of the change.

IMHO: Trip insurance would likely NOT take care of the change because it is outside of final payment. Don't know that for sure.

Not sure any of the lessons you see apply in this case as the OP is from Ireland and their booking rules are completely different than US booking rules.

Not sure any of the lessons you see apply in this case as the OP is from Ireland and their booking rules are completely different than US booking rules.

Thanks for pointing that out......whatever the rules are we all have to play with the ones we are dealt. I was refering to my rules so I hope there was no confusion.

I understand what the OP is saying. I would not have been happy if my honeymoon cruise had been changed. The Allure is a "wow" ship that is typically more expensive then the Independence. I would ask to speak with a supervisor and explain your case again. I would consider the Oasis so you get the same size/type ship. If I took the Independence offer, I would want a higher OBC.

Saying to travel again on the Allure at anothe time, will be another expensive trip. For many people, an extravagant honeymoon/vacation is a once in a lifetime experience.

Enjoy your wedding!

Edited by funfamilyfun

I did some checking the good news is that the Indy went into dry dock/refurbishment this year so that is good.

There are so many rooms available on this ship don't understand why but I checked price for two people in balcony cabin and that is 2002, how much did you pay for the Allure? I have to say you have gotten a wonderful price for the Allure!!

If your considering the Indy definitely do the Jr Suite as it is a larger stateroom with a very huge balcony (from what I noticed).

But the Allure is a beautiful and huge ship you be going from that to a smaller one but still RC cruise. If you were planning on trying the specialty restaurants the Allure offers then I have to say the Indy will not offer you this and its something to consider in your decision also its a night less.

Have you tried calling the airline and asking them if you can change and if there were any fees to do so?

Understand the dilemma here. That said, I have been on all 3 ships in the Freedom class and the Allure and Oasis. Getting an ocean view balcony plus the 400 obc would be my choice. Honeymoon or not! Our son and his wife married on the Freedom and honeymooned. They (and all the wedding party) had a fabulous time. I actually prefer the Freedom class. It has nearly as much to offer as Allure-just venue size is smaller. (And it is still a BIG ship in its own right) Use the extra day to relax either before the Liberty leaves or after she arrives back. Trust me, you will need to unwind either way!! The only thing I think the Allure offers is a few shows. If this is something you will regret seeing, then book the Oasis. The Liberty is a fantastic ship with a crew that will make you want to return! You won't go wrong plus you have 400 to spend onboard and that can make a difference! Buy one of the new beverage packages and think of all of us back here at CC;)

I think with the OBC, it is a fair offer. That said, it is a day less. Have you asked if they would consider providing hotel accommodations for the one night? I think they do this in some scenarios. If they could, then that would make it "whole" in my opinion. I think you will be very happy with Indy, but it is not the ship you've been researching and that is understandable.

If I were flying overseas for my honeymoon that has been booked for some time, I would be disappointed as well. I do empathize with your situation.

Danny, the points I offer won't necessarily make you feel better. But here goes:

• Based on what fellow Allure pax are reporting, the offers you've been given are fair, i.e., they are the same or better than what others have been given;
  • It seems logical your Indy price should be 6/7 of the Allure price, but cruise pricing is never that straightforward. We all make ourselves crazy comparing pricing on longer vs. shorter cruises, better vs. lesser ships, exciting vs. boring itineraries, hot vs. ordinary sail dates, etc., but only the bean counters in sales can explain what factors drive a certain price point on any given cruise.
  • A junior suite is nice (but will spoil you for future cruises!). The $200 OBC will cover your gratuities plus some extras.
  • A balcony is nice, too (and will be basically the same as the one you looked forward to on Allure), and $400 OBC might cover or a significant portion of your expenses, depending on your leisure habits.
  • As has been said, the extra hotel night can be arranged for a very nice rate if you use Priceline's bidding feature--if you don't know how, there are FAQs and helpful forum here and elsewhere. Just ask, we'll point you in the right direction.

Before you throw in the towel and just take the refund, give it one more go and see if they will do anything more to sweeten the pot considering it's your honeymoon and you are coming from so far to enjoy Royal's hospitality.

It's understandable you are feeling especially aggrieved by this--it's your honeymoon, after all! I do hope you can reach a satisfactory resolution so you can relax about this piece of your wedding plans and look forward to a lovely, celebratory cruise.

(We're all wondering if you simply cannot fly a day earlier and take the Oasis, so if you could answer that one, we can quit suggesting it!)

Best wishes on a long and happy marriage. :)

I think the follow up offers you have been given (junior suite plus $200 OBC or balcony plus $400 OBC on Indy) are fair.

I understand it must be frustrating to see your plans change and not really have full control of the situation, especially at a time when you are busy planning a wedding, but try to see it for what it is and roll with the punches :)

Personally, I would go with the balcony and the $400 OBC--but either choice is a good one.

So I agree with everyone else--chose one offer, and then forget about it and go back to planning the wedding. Enjoy the cruise when you get there, instead of thinking about what it "could have been" and you will have a lovely honeymoon.

Not to adding to your worries, but I was initially looking into Indy on 02/23 and found there is a large group on that sailing. Check out the roll call for info and you can judge for yourself, but I decided to sail on Navigator from Galveston instead.

Not to deter you. But just something else to consider as it didn't seem like it would b a "usual" sailing to me. I'm sure it would still be a great cruise and Indy is a fantastic ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Canadian Tyler

I'm sure the bride to be has enough stress without you trying to beat down RCI for every last penny Sign up for the balcony plus $400 obo and be done with it. I would think after a wedding and flying to FL for a honeymoon that one night in a nice hotel is not going to break you. Lots to do and see in the area.

Not to adding to your worries, but I was initially looking into Indy on 02/23 and found there is a large group on that sailing. Check out the roll call for info and you can judge for yourself, but I decided to sail on Navigator from Galveston instead.

Not to deter you. But just something else to consider as it didn't seem like it would b a "usual" sailing to me. I'm sure it would still be a great cruise and Indy is a fantastic ship.

they are going to be on their honeymoon.. I don't think they would care what else is or isn't going on. to add to my above post about just 'do it' and forget it. me being me (not on a honeymoon or schedule) I would tell them I will take whichever one IF they throw in wine package since it their honeymoon/ I think a lot of folks here really micro-manage every detail so much the lose site of actually having fun.

I wanted to say that I think the pp who mentioned the extra wedding stress getting to you is probably right. That's cool, it happens, a whole lot of people have been in those shoes. You often don't even realize you're doing it until everything is over.

I think both of the offers Royal made you sound awesome. Double the already offered onboard credit OR an extra upgrade? I would take that in a heartbeat! Like you said, it stinks that your sailing was canceled but that is life sometimes. The Freedom class may not be the newest in the fleet but they are still very nice ships and you will have a great time.

$400 extra to booze it up or a free JS...I don't know what I would choose!

they are going to be on their honeymoon.. I don't think they would care what else is or isn't going on. to add to my above post about just 'do it' and forget it. me being me (not on a honeymoon or schedule) I would tell them I will take whichever one IF they throw in wine package since it their honeymoon/ I think a lot of folks here really micro-manage every detail so much the lose site of actually having fun.

That's fine, I just wanted to give them all the info so they can make an informed decision. Everyone looks different things on their hard-earned vacation, and I'd assume since they were booked on Allure they do care what is going on on the ship.

I hope castlebride does come back and sees that this large group is on the Indy cruise. From threads about this group last year, they seem like a fun group, but they take over a lot of the ship and are quite "unique". We wouldn't want to sail with them either as their humor is not my cup of tea. The people from the group that posted last year were very nice about explaining everything they had scheduled and if I remember correctly, the information can be found on the groups website.

Castlebride, come back and tell us you changed your flights and are going on Oasis.:)