Where to cruise from New York

TopofWorld

Hi to all. We are a family of 4 (51, 45, 21, 16) and we will be in New York in July. We would very much like to spend a week in New York, and then take a cruise to either Bahamas or Bermuda or any other destination that offers a bit of sightseeing and lots of relaxation. No water sports, diving or such, just lazy days relaxing either on ship or at a beach. So, what would be you recommendation as far as destination is concerned between the two? Is there an alternate destination you might recommend (already been to the Caribbean).

Having in mind that once the cruise is over, we will go to JFK to take a plane back home, are there any other ports suitable to leave and return to if a destination is not available from the NY port?

Thank you all,

Andreas

I agree with the previous poster. However, if you are driving you may want to consider a short jaunt over the river to Bayonne NJ where you can sail on either Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas or the fine Celebrity ship that docks there.

The reason for the driving is parking. Manhattan prices are $35 a night and Bayonne is $19 a night.

Edited by MedicKen

Thank you for your help. I will not be driving since we are used to the English side of the road and from what I remember you do not really need a car in NY. I will check out the Bermuda itinerary. Is it something similar to the Caribbean (Puerto Rico, Lambadee, ....). TY once again

A cruise to Bermuda is just that...One port. You sail with one sea day, dock and spend at least two days there, sail back to NYC. Go here:

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/fromnewyorkcitynewyork-jul2014.html

to see who is sailing from NYC in July 2014. This shows the ship and itinerary (ignore prices). EM

I'd recommend Celebrity from Bayonne to Bermuda for size of ship (about 2000 passengers) and, more important, quality of service, food, etc. Then, Royal Caribbean - also from Bayonne, and somewhat livelier. Norwegian Breakaway -a monster ship with 4,000 passengers, and (in my view) less satisfactory service and food sails from Manhattan - which is a truly great experience - gliding down the Hudson from a much more accessible terminal than Bayonne.

Wow, a unanimous vote for Bermuda, and who am I to disagree. Travelled in the past with RCL, Princess and Carnival. RCL in my opinion was the best of the three. I believe Celebrity is next. I only have to do the logistics NJ port to JFK once we return from the port to see if there is enough time to catch the sad flight back home. Thanks to all great cruisers here. Your help is indeed overwhelming.

Andreas

Norwegian and Carnival sail out of Manhattan down the Hudson .. The sail away is spectacular. first the manhattan skyline than past the Statue of Liberty. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity sail out of Bayonne, NJ ...you see the Statue of Liberty and cruise under the Varasono (?sp) Bridge. IMHO Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are a little more upscale than Norwegian and Carnival but the sail away is much more impressive out of Manhattan. In the summer holland America sails out of the Brooklyn Navy yard. I am not sure what that sail away is like. Typically from Manhattan and Bayonne you can sail to Bermuda or the Bahamas or for 9-10 days to the Caribbean all year long. In the fall you can sail up to Canada. Either one way to Montreal or Quebec or r/ t New York with a trip up to the Canadian Maritime Area .. Like Nova Scotia. These cruises may stop in Boston and / or Bar Harbor. have fun.

Celebrity Summit or Explorer of the Seas from New Jersey to Bermuda. Correct me if I'm wrong, but only northeast sailings go to Bermuda, so it's more special since you can't do it from elsewhere. And the Bayonne port isn't far from New York. It's basically the same bay, facing the Statue of Liberty. And you can see the NYC port from the Bayonne port to. So the NYC port and the Bayonne port are basically both NYC ports, one on one side of NYC, and one on the other.

I would go with Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas. It is pretty nice and generally relaxed especially to just the Bahamas or Bermuda.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=VY&shipCode=EX&br=R

The only problem with Explorer is that, I think, it only does 5 day cruises to Bermuda in the summer time, whereas Breakaway and Summit do 7 day. Personally, I would do Summit over Breakaway because I like the smaller ships better - however, either would be easy to get to if you are in downtown NYC.

Definitely Celebrity to Bermuda. One of the best cruises I have ever done, loved it so much I did the same itinerary multiple times. I haven't been on the Summitt but have heard it is a great ship. Love the Bermuda itinerary because you are there for a few days so you can really relax and explore.

Just booked the Summit. So excited. Now I need to keep it a secret from family until Xmas, its their gift from me. I wonder if I can hold for so long. Thank you all, may you get to go to all the cruises you ever wished for....Happy holidays.

Andreas

Hi to all. We are a family of 4 (51, 45, 21, 16) and we will be in New York in July. We would very much like to spend a week in New York, and then take a cruise to either Bahamas or Bermuda or any other destination that offers a bit of sightseeing and lots of relaxation. No water sports, diving or such, just lazy days relaxing either on ship or at a beach. So, what would be you recommendation as far as destination is concerned between the two? Is there an alternate destination you might recommend (already been to the Caribbean).

Having in mind that once the cruise is over, we will go to JFK to take a plane back home, are there any other ports suitable to leave and return to if a destination is not available from the NY port?

Thank you all,

Andreas

If you are going to just veg out and relax, why spend the money on a cruise. There are a lot of places on the eastern seaboard that have good weather, are very relaxing, and only a short and inexpensive plane ride from NYC. You could rent a cottage for a week, spend the week lying on the beach and eating excellent seafood, and save a bunch of bucks.

You need to think outside of the box.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Guest maddycat
Just booked the Summit. So excited. Now I need to keep it a secret from family until Xmas, its their gift from me. I wonder if I can hold for so long. Thank you all, may you get to go to all the cruises you ever wished for....Happy holidays.

Andreas

Excellent choice. We love Bermuda. It's clean, safe, has great beaches, interesting history, an excellent transportation system of buses and ferries. It's geat to sail out of either NY or NJ and 1 1/2 days later arrive at this beautiful island. The Summit docks at Kings Warf (the dockyard) for 2 1/2 days. The ship is your hotel. You come and go as you please. Below are some links that you might find interesting.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

I definitely think Bermuda because the port is relaxing, no time limits to get back except for the last day.

I would recommend the Norwegian Breakaway - awesome ship, lots to do, great shows, great food and 3 days in glorious Bermuda. Your 21 and 16 year old would like the activities for younger people onboard (ropes course, waterslides).

edited: WHOOPS - just realized you booked Summit - my MIL just did this ship and itinerary this past July and really enjoyed. Have fun! Good luck with the surprise - I kept our recent Breakaway sailing a surprise for 18 MONTHS and thought I would explode. LOL. Happy sails!

Edited by youngestof9