Room safes SAFE?

cruistacean

We had a missing jewelry box incident on a recent cruise and I'm wondering who might have access to the room safes? The small red box of jewelry (1" deep by 3" square) was either left on the bed or locked in the safe when it went missing. We searched the room AND the safe very well and found nothing. We reported this to our cabin steward and to security. The next morning security arrived in our room and the jewelry box magically reappeared in the safe. The box was too big to be missed in a tiny safe searched visually and physically by two people. When the box was found security asked: "is everything there?" Would that question have been necessary if security was sure the box had never left our room?

We had a missing jewelry box incident on a recent cruise and I'm wondering who might have access to the room safes? The small red box of jewelry (1" deep by 3" square) was either left on the bed or locked in the safe when it went missing. We searched the room AND the safe very well and found nothing. We reported this to our cabin steward and to security. The next morning security arrived in our room and the jewelry box magically reappeared in the safe. The box was too big to be missed in a tiny safe searched visually and physically by two people. When the box was found security asked: "is everything there?" Would that question have been necessary if security was sure the box had never left our room?

My answer would have been "Yes, thank you.". If security knew that the box was returned to the safe as you so believe, then they would know who had it in the first place. Therefore, that person was going to be punished. Problem solved.:)

Ok, so I have a question for the OP. We looked at your posting history here on CC and all 3 of your posts are about blaming others for something. So I am not sure whether to take your post at face value or just consider you a so-called troll. But if your post is for real, we must assume that you left that box in your safe, failed to see it, and then naturally pointed the finger somewhere else. According to a cruise line employee, who regularly posts here on CC, the cruise Security department has the ability to determine if anyone entered your cabin, who they were, and what time. Apparently the cabin locks have a memory and keep track of what card was used to open the door. In addition, all ships have cameras in the halls and the security staff has the ability to search the digital images to determine who entered your camera.

As to a "box" mysteriously appearing in your safe, this would have to be a major conspiracy on the part of several crew. Very few folks have the ability to both enter your cabin and enter your safe, and this type of entry is highly monitored and logged by the trusted staff (often from the Pursers Office). Yes, there are some dishonest folks working on cruise ships (just like in any large organization. But what you are suggesting could only happen if their was some kind of collaboration between multiple crew members and the security department. Sounds pretty far fetched to moi. And a security officer asking "Is everything there" would be perfectly appropriate if they are investigating a reported theft. If a crew member intended to slip a box back into your cabin, it would have much easier (and involved fewer people) to simply put it anywhere within your cabin other then in the safe. There would be absolutely no reason to go through all the trouble (and involve multiple personnel) to get it inside your safe.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Perhaps it got moved by DH who forgot about it until security was called and rather than admit to his faux pas he just put the box back in the safe? Not sure how the search was conducted but in my experience the safe is not well lighted and to be sure everything would need to be removed in order to ascertain what was in the safe and what was missing.

................. was either left on the bed or locked in the safe when it went missing........

Did you not ask where it was found?

I would have cos I'd have been wondering whether I was losing my faculties.

"Ahh, down between bedhead & mattress, was it. No, we hadn't looked there".

Mystery solved.

JB :)

Ok, so I have a question for the OP. We looked at your posting history here on CC and all 3 of your posts are about blaming others for something. So I am not sure whether to take your post at face value or just consider you a so-called troll. But if your post is for real, we must assume that you left that box in your safe, failed to see it, and then naturally pointed the finger somewhere else. According to a cruise line employee, who regularly posts here on CC, the cruise Security department has the ability to determine if anyone entered your cabin, who they were, and what time. Apparently the cabin locks have a memory and keep track of what card was used to open the door. In addition, all ships have cameras in the halls and the security staff has the ability to search the digital images to determine who entered your camera.

As to a "box" mysteriously appearing in your safe, this would have to be a major conspiracy on the part of several crew. Very few folks have the ability to both enter your cabin and enter your safe, and this type of entry is highly monitored and logged by the trusted staff (often from the Pursers Office). Yes, there are some dishonest folks working on cruise ships (just like in any large organization. But what you are suggesting could only happen if their was some kind of collaboration between multiple crew members and the security department. Sounds pretty far fetched to moi. And a security officer asking "Is everything there" would be perfectly appropriate if they are investigating a reported theft. If a crew member intended to slip a box back into your cabin, it would have much easier (and involved fewer people) to simply put it anywhere within your cabin other then in the safe. There would be absolutely no reason to go through all the trouble (and involve multiple personnel) to get it inside your safe.

Hank

As Hank's unnamed source for the cabin door memory, he is correct, and that would be the first step taken by Security when anything is reported missing. As far as the safe is concerned, only Security has the ability to override the combination you set. If you forget it, or the battery dies, Security are the only ones who can open it for you.

I also feel that the question about contents is a perfectly normal question in an investigation of possible missing articles.

As Hank's unnamed source for the cabin door memory, he is correct, and that would be the first step taken by Security when anything is reported missing. As far as the safe is concerned, only Security has the ability to override the combination you set. If you forget it, or the battery dies, Security are the only ones who can open it for you.

I also feel that the question about contents is a perfectly normal question in an investigation of possible missing articles.

Also, standard practice is that when there is a safe "problem" and securituy needs to assist, access, or open a safe, they require two crew employees to do so.

When we had a problem, two security personell showed up, they opened the safe, not fully, but ajar, stepped back, asked us to remove all contents, then proceded to fix the safe. I think the battery died.

Edited by LA_CA_GAL

As an aside to the OP, should he/she return to this thread, you DO realize that your cruise contract allows the ship to search your cabin and belongings, including the safe, at any time, with or without you being present?

Also, standard practice is that when there is a safe "problem" and securituy needs to assist, access, or open a safe, they require two crew employees to do so.

When we had a problem, two security personell showed up, they opened the safe, not fully, but ajar, stepped back, asked us to remove all contents, then proceded to fix the safe. I think the battery died.

Neither of these comments reflect what I experienced on one of my cruises last year.

On the 1st day of the cruise when I got to my cabin I found the safe still locked from the previous cruise. I notified my cabin steward and he said he would call his supervisor.

I just assumed that they would come unlock it, so I went ahead with my day and left the cabin. When I got back to the cabin after muster drill the safe was still locked. I called the cabin steward again and he said I needed to be there for the safe to be opened.

I waited for a long time and nobody showed up, so I called the pursers office. They sent someone right up, it wasn't security though. Maybe security only gets involved if there is an accusation of theft.

I think the person that came was the housekeeping supervisor. They used a master cardkey to open the safe. The safe was found to be empty, but I had to sign a form that I was witness to the safe being opened and that it was empty.

Hank

Comprehensive and credible response to an unlikely post.

Neither of these comments reflect what I experienced on one of my cruises last year.

On the 1st day of the cruise when I got to my cabin I found the safe still locked from the previous cruise. I notified my cabin steward and he said he would call his supervisor.

I just assumed that they would come unlock it, so I went ahead with my day and left the cabin. When I got back to the cabin after muster drill the safe was still locked. I called the cabin steward again and he said I needed to be there for the safe to be opened.

I waited for a long time and nobody showed up, so I called the pursers office. They sent someone right up, it wasn't security though. Maybe security only gets involved if there is an accusation of theft.

I think the person that came was the housekeeping supervisor. They used a master cardkey to open the safe. The safe was found to be empty, but I had to sign a form that I was witness to the safe being opened and that it was empty.

Again, for safes with card keys, there is a memory of who/when accessed, and there are a very limited number of master cards available. I'm guessing it was the Executive Housekeeper, or the Carnival equivalent, who is senior staff. Carnival may do things differently, in not requiring security,depending on the number of locked out safe calls they get, or security may have been busy with cabin door lock issues, I know these are prevalent on embarkation day. Your being required to be present eliminates the need for a second person from the line being present, as you would be the other party in any litigation.

I had someone I work wirh who truly thought that they were missing $300. Blamed the cabin attendant. Security had them stand outside the cabin with door open and a Thorough search...every pocket, nook and cranny...no money. Royal reimbursed them...they found the money on the dresser when they got home. Their cabin attendant was replaced and most likely fired...I sure hope not. AND no they didn't call Royal to tell them they found the money. UGH

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I had someone I work wirh who truly thought that they were missing $300. Blamed the cabin attendant. Security had them stand outside the cabin with door open and a Thorough search...every pocket, nook and cranny...no money. Royal reimbursed them...they found the money on the dresser when they got home. Their cabin attendant was replaced and most likely fired...I sure hope not. AND no they didn't call Royal to tell them they found the money. UGH

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I am surprised they were reimbursed, most companies dis-avow liability for missing items from the safe.

I am surprised they were reimbursed, most companies dis-avow liability for missing items from the safe.

This was more in the realm of Guest Relations, though RCCI's ticket contract limits liability to $300, and the PP didn't say it was in the safe, did they?

Since there was no proof of the theft (he said, she said), the cabin attendant was moved to another section for the guest's comfort, but there would not have been any disciplinary action unless there was proof of improper access to the cabin (accessing the cabin during time off duty).

This was more in the realm of Guest Relations, though RCCI's ticket contract limits liability to $300, and the PP didn't say it was in the safe, did they?

Since there was no proof of the theft (he said, she said), the cabin attendant was moved to another section for the guest's comfort, but there would not have been any disciplinary action unless there was proof of improper access to the cabin (accessing the cabin during time off duty).

They also dis-avow liability for things in the room, do they not? I'm glad RCCI is so willing to accept the word of their guests (and I do mean that, it's refreshing:)).

They also dis-avow liability for things in the room, do they not? I'm glad RCCI is so willing to accept the word of their guests (and I do mean that, it's refreshing:)).

Here's a quote from the ticket contract:

Carrier's liability for loss or damage to property for the cruise (or for the cruise only portion of a CruiseTour) is limited to $300.00 per

Passenger, unless Passenger declares the true value of such property in writing to the address specified in Section 10.a below and pays Carrier within

10 days of final payment for the cruise, a fee of five percent (5%) of the amount that such value exceeds $300.00. In such event, Carrier's liability shall

be limited to its true declared value, but not exceeding $5,000

Later on it says:

In no event shall Carrier be liable for normal wear or tear of luggage or property, or loss of or damage to jewelry, cash,

negotiable paper, photographic/electronic, medical or recreational equipment, dental hardware, eyewear, medications or other valuables unless they are

deposited with Carrier on the Vessel for safekeeping against receipt

So, you are correct that there was no real reason for Royal to reimburse these folks, other than Guest Relations.

Interesting to note that the 5% "insurance" fee does not appear to be refunded when the cruise ends and the valuables are still in your possession.

Edited by chengkp75

Not sure what cruise line you think it is standard practice to send two security personel but we have had our safe opened by one maintenance worker (blue coveralls), definitely not security.

Not sure what cruise line you think it is standard practice to send two security personel but we have had our safe opened by one maintenance worker (blue coveralls), definitely not security.

Yep, just had that happen a couple of weeks ago.

RCI Explorer of the Seas.

Just relating our experience.

What cruise line sent a maintenance worker to open your safe?

The last time we were on NCL Epic our safe gave out on the 2nd day.

I called the desk and they said it most likely was the battery.

The person who answered the phone said that maintenance was busy but that they would try to repair it that day.

While they had me on the phone they asked me if we were out of the cabin when the maintenance worker showed up if it would be alright for him to enter and open the safe to replace the battery .

I said I was fine with that.

I felt that the management on Epic know their staff better than me and they would not give them the ability to access the areas if they could not be trusted.

When we got back to the cabin later in the day the safe was fixed.

The door was closed but not locked as I had to enter a code to set it.

No problem.