Dumb Question about room service on the ship

Rom Com

We are taking our first cruise later next month. What is the drill with room service when you are done? Is like a hotel where you put the tray back in the hall, or is their a different etiquette?

Stupid question I know, but would rather not be embarrassed later.

I believe the room service people ask you to call them and they will come and pick it up. However, I see many trays in the hall. We usually let the stateroom attendant take care of it.

I cruise on Holland America and the tray delivery and pick up are a function of food service. They ask that when you are finished call them and they will pick up the tray. To be sure this is the practice on your ship just ask either your room steward or the person who brings the tray how is is handled on your ship.

I believe that the tray should not be placed in the hallway. The hallways are somewhat narrow and there are people who use them with their walkers and their scooters and this is made more difficult by trays left in the hallway. I wish you a wonderful cruise.

We are taking our first cruise later next month. What is the drill with room service when you are done? Is like a hotel where you put the tray back in the hall, or is their a different etiquette?

Stupid question I know, but would rather not be embarrassed later.

laying them in the hallways makes it difficult for people in ECVs/WC to get down the hallways as well as looking/smelling nasty

not to mention when the cabin attendants and their carts are out and about.

there will be somewhere you can pile the plates up neatly. sometimes if you call back they will send someone to pick them up right away and will just ask you to leave them in the hall.

We also neatly pile everything on the tray and set it on the coffee table for our Cabin Attendant. Otherwise call room service and let them know the tray is ready to pickup. In fact I have asked the Cabin Attendant in the past and he has always said "don't worry about it, I will remove them for you."

By the way, I always add tip money to the Cabin Attendant. It really isn't their job but they always do it cheerfully.

I would recommend to ask when your order is confirmed what you should do after. Most of the time (95%) I have been asked to call room service when done, let them know the trays are ready and then I get asked to leave them outside the door and someone will be round to collect them. The one thing I don't do is leave them for my stateroom attendant to deal with as it is not their job. During a cruise a couple of years ago I did leave them in the room and was politely asked by my stateroom attendant not to do that as it is part of room service to come and collect them and not their job to clear them. They will do it of course but I don't want to create unnecessary work for them.

Enjoy your first cruise, I am sure you will have a great time!