Jogging Track vs Treadmill

alexieb

We all know that jogging on a treadmill is easier than jogging on regular ground. But, what do you think about using the jogging track on the sports deck? Do you think it would be more like jogging on the sidewalk or the treadmill?

We all know that jogging on a treadmill is easier than jogging on regular ground. But, what do you think about using the jogging track on the sports deck? Do you think it would be more like jogging on the sidewalk or the treadmill?

I always use the track. More concussion on the knees, but it is smooth, shock absorbing base, good grip, uniform surface...so much better than just road/sidewalk jogging. Plus....a nice warm breeze and the best view of any jogging track in the world!:)

I never got to use the actual sports track on my Valor cruise in 2010 because it was always roped off due to high winds. I used the treadmills twice and the other days I would do laps around the entire lido deck which I perfered to the tiny track anyway. I worked out at 6am when there was only staff around bringing out the lounge chairs. I'm used to sidewalks as well as treadmills and I enjoyed both exercise experiences on my first cruise.

I find the jogging track to be too tight an area. Using it causes me to have way more stress on my interior leg, and unless it's empty, switching directions half-way really isn't an option. I use deck 10 for 20 laps, which equates to 5.72 miles. To achieve that on the track would likely kill me. Someone much younger and without shin splints would probably like the jogging track just fine though, lol.

I always use the running track weather permitting. The key is to be on the track before 8 am when it is less crowded.

Good to know! Tonight I do week 7, day 2 of the C25K program (25 minutes of running). By November I should be running 3 miles fairly easily. My goal is to use the track on ship.

Thanks for your opinions guys! I am currently doing "Couch to 5k" and have been using the treadmill at my gym. I would definitely jog fairly early. I like to do it before breakfast. It would be fun to try out the jogging track. I have to do something to counteract that soft serve ice cream!

Thanks for your opinions guys! I am currently doing "Couch to 5k" and have been using the treadmill at my gym. I would definitely jog fairly early. I like to do it before breakfast. It would be fun to try out the jogging track. I have to do something to counteract that soft serve ice cream!

I'm up on the track most mornings between 5:30-6:30 and it's usually empty except for maybe another jogger or two, the walkers don't really come out until 8ish I've found. Good luck on your 5k...it's addictive!

Although I would prefer not to use the treadmill, there aren't many other options while onboard. Since I am not an early riser/runner, the track is usually littered with people by the time I'm ready to run.

On my last cruise to Canada I actually ran while in port. It was a great way to see the area. I pre-planned a run using Google Earth and was never more than a mile or so from the ship. I don't think I would've run in port had it been in Mexico or Jamaica.

This August I will be cruising to four different islands aboard the Freedom. Not sure what my running plans will be, but since I was just accepted yesterday into the New York City Marathon :), I will have to figure out something.

OP: you are running not jogging. I prefer to use the track, early. I bring a clicker to keep track of the laps. With the natural movement of the ship I don't like the treadmill. I find the softness of the track is a great relief from the pounding they take from the road. I have even done a long run on the track, hard to do on vacation, get a lot of comments from people getting up. Had one guy, I am going to sit here smoking my cigs and watch you run for my workout, had a good laugh.

Archived