Bath Questions - toddler and ferry

ComeSailWithME

1. Bad idea to take a 1 year old to the baths? In my research it seems there is a bit of hiking involved. I baby wear, so he can/will be strapped onto my back or my husbands back in a baby carrier. He is only 8 months now (will be 13 months come cruise time) and already in swim class, so he is not afraid of water. Opinions??

2. This speedy's ferry thing, they will come to get you at the time you decide? We only have limited time in Tortola (ship leaves at 3) and I have always been weary of booking outside tours. Is it better to try and get a group together from roll call?

We did Speedy's ferry on our own and there is plenty of time. But, I do not recommend taking a baby to The Baths. You will not be able to go through the caves. The day we went the waters were rough but I am told that it is usually calm; I still would not take a baby there. Just my opinion.

• 1 month later...

The caves have several tight squeezes and slippery slopes (sand covered boulders) to navigate through and over. No underwater swimming, though there may be knee height wading. The hikes to the beeches are not all that bad, just some steep spots and a few large steps. You know your abilities the best.

It is a cool adventure with nice beeches on both sides.

We did the cruise ship sponsored half day excursion to the Baths. THis allowed us to take a morning tour around Tortola.

DSCN2923.jpg

DSCN2918.jpg

DSCN2923.jpghttp:

You will be fine! The trail is natural but not that bad. Just like anywhere else hiking back up can be harder/sweatier on a very hot day but not a concern. No worries, as long as you are very careful and don't let go of your baby it's fine. Be aware that the waves can be rough in the open area shown above depending on the sea condition, many people who swim in from their cat are surprised at the effort it took to keep from being slammed into the rocks. But from shore just be careful of large waves.

• 4 weeks later...
1. Bad idea to take a 1 year old to the baths? In my research it seems there is a bit of hiking involved. I baby wear, so he can/will be strapped onto my back or my husbands back in a baby carrier. He is only 8 months now (will be 13 months come cruise time) and already in swim class, so he is not afraid of water. Opinions??

2. This speedy's ferry thing, they will come to get you at the time you decide? We only have limited time in Tortola (ship leaves at 3) and I have always been weary of booking outside tours. Is it better to try and get a group together from roll call?

I dont know how to post another link to this thread, so you will need to look it up. There is a thread, under Tortola, that reads "Anyone wanting to do Baths on your own", or something to that effect. They mention they took a boat that took them right to the baths, without having to go through the tunnels and such. Thought of that thread when I read this one from you. The boat they took also cut out 1 1/2 hr of time, so it may be worth checking into. Read that thread, as there is also a website for this person they used. Good luck~

The only consderation I would have for taking a baby is the weather.it was hot one time we went there I can't iagine trying to protest a baby under those conditions. On a "normal" day no problem.

The water can be calm ir rough depending on the sea conditions. So just use common sense there.

And I wpuld stick with the ferry (Speedy's, Smith's or whoever is first). And no they do not come and get you, you are responsible for getting back to the ferry on time. The taxi drivers will take care of you but again it's your responsibility.

No worries, just get the first ferry you can and get the 1PM back or whatever time works best.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived