Staying in Madrid before Sailing out of Barcelona

ManOfSnow

My wife and I are sailing on the Brilliance of the Seas in April that leaves out of Barcelona. We were just on a cruise that ended in Barcelona last year and we stayed post-cruise to see the city. Since we were just there we were thinking of flying to Madrid (we can fly direct from Miami) and staying there for 2 days before we go to our cruise in Barcelona. How is transportation from Madrid to Barcelona. I've seen some commuter air flights, but we're going to have 2 weeks worth of luggage for our cruise so we can't exactly fly with just a carry-on. Is the high speed train a good bet?

Hi,

There are many flights a day between Madrid and Barcelona, with different airlines : Iberia, Spanair, Air europa, Vueling,etc. But I can tell you that all those airlines limit lugagge. For example, the lugagge check in allowance for intra Europe flights in Iberia is 22 kilos per person, that is less than 50 lbs.

So if you are bringing considerable lugagge I suggest you take the AVE fast train between Mad and Bcn. It takes less than 3 hrs. It offers web fares highly discounted which you can buy online 60 days prior Website is http://www.renfe.es Be aware that some people encounter problems when booking online with a US CC, however , I have read in recent days that the problem has been "solved". Madrid is a great city, actually I will be visiting again in a few weeks.

Editing to add: If you haven't booked your hotel in Madrid, do look around. There seem to be many special offers and prices have been plummeting. I just booked a 3 stars hotel for late March. A month ago it was asking 130 Euros per night, now is down to 90 Euros and additional 15% off if you prepay. Some deluxe hotels like the Westin Palace are also running specials.

Edited by cruiseluv

I agree with the previous posting. The new AVE line makes train travel actually faster (central city to central city) than flying. Allowed weight and excess luggage for internal flights will amaze you if you fly. The train is comfortable, but do not expect interesting scenery.

I saw the limits on Vueling to 22kg so that is what worried me. I'll have 4 suitcases (2 for me, 2 for my wife) that'll probably be close to 50lbs a piece. Is there anything special I need to know about booking considering I'll have a decent amount of luggage? Do I need a sleeper room? I'd like to go as cheap as possible as I have heard the country side is not really scenic and we're only using the transportation to get from point a to point b.

Also, do you have any idea where the train station in Madrid is and where you get dropped off in Barcelona (and how far that is from the port).

I saw the limits on Vueling to 22kg so that is what worried me. I'll have 4 suitcases (2 for me, 2 for my wife) that'll probably be close to 50lbs a piece. Is there anything special I need to know about booking considering I'll have a decent amount of luggage? Do I need a sleeper room? I'd like to go as cheap as possible as I have heard the country side is not really scenic and we're only using the transportation to get from point a to point b.

Also, do you have any idea where the train station in Madrid is and where you get dropped off in Barcelona (and how far that is from the port).

Hi,

With that amount of lugagge you will pay a LOT in excess bagagge fees on any airline intraEurope flight. So train is really the way to go. I don't know if there are overnight trains, the AVE is less than 3 hrs, and that is the one I would recommend. The regular trains I think are around 5-6 hrs. I tried to check prices for you but the Renfe site seems to be down . I seem to remember that web fares for the AVE one-way between Mad and BCN could be as low as 40 euros. But you have to get them as soon as possible, 60 days out, they don't last too long. Be aware that if you take the train you will be responsible for getting the lugagge on the train and off the train, there is no lugagge "check-in". I would encourage you to bring less lugagge.

The train station in Madrid for the AVE is Atocha, which is at the end of the Paseo del Prado, near the Reina Sofia museum and not far from the famed El Prado museum. The station in Barcelona is Sants. Looking at the map it would probably be a 10-15 mins cab ride to the cruise port.

Edited by cruiseluv

Hi,

With that amount of lugagge you will pay a LOT in excess bagagge fees on any airline intraEurope flight. So train is really the way to go. I don't know if there are overnight trains, the AVE is less than 3 hrs, and that is the one I would recommend. The regular trains I think are around 5-6 hrs. I tried to check prices for you but the Renfe site seems to be down . I seem to remember that web fares for the AVE one-way between Mad and BCN could be as low as 40 euros. But you have to get them as soon as possible, 60 days out, they don't last too long. Be aware that if you take the train you will be responsible for getting the lugagge on the train and off the train, there is no lugagge "check-in". I would encourage you to bring less lugagge.

The train station in Madrid for the AVE is Atocha, which is at the end of the Paseo del Prado, near the Reina Sofia museum and not far from the famed El Prado museum. The station in Barcelona is Sants. Looking at the map it would probably be a 10-15 mins cab ride to the cruise port.

I think taking a plane is out of the question because of the amount of luggage. Believe me, i'd love to only take 1 bag (which I do), however my wife takes 3! I wasn't really inquiring about taking a night train, I was just asking about luggage and needing a sleeper car to put additional luggage in. It does look like from everything I read, you just put the luggage at the front of the car. The prices I saw on the Renfe site were about 110 euro. I couldnt get exact prices as I am still > 60 days out.

I think taking a plane is out of the question because of the amount of luggage. Believe me, i'd love to only take 1 bag (which I do), however my wife takes 3! I wasn't really inquiring about taking a night train, I was just asking about luggage and needing a sleeper car to put additional luggage in. It does look like from everything I read, you just put the luggage at the front of the car. The prices I saw on the Renfe site were about 110 euro. I couldnt get exact prices as I am still > 60 days out.

Ok, I see, anyway I don't think there are any sleeper cars on the AVE train. Yes, you put the lugagge in the space between carts or above your seat.

I just checked for a random date in April (within the 62 days) and they offer (for some trains) the WEB fare 0f 44 Euros and the next fare , which is offered on most trains, is the Estrella fare, 66 Euros. I think een the latter one is good value.

Good luck!

If you are in Madrid for two days, and have that much luggage, I would highly recommend the train. The trains are first rate in Spain, and as other posters have said going downtown to downtown is a plus. Just the time and cab fare to and from the airports will add up. Be aware that at Atcocha you will have to go thru (or at least you did 14 months ago) security similar to airport security. It is very fast but the will not let you though security until about a 1/2 hr prior to the train departure...so no use going to the station too early. As the OP said, there are deals on hotels in Madrid. We did Priceline last time but if you happen to be there on a weekend a great place to check is the high end business hotels. They often run specials for Friday and Sat nights as the occupancy rate tends to be lower. Barcelon the same-we got a fabulous deal weekend deal at the NH Numancia just up the street from Sants rail station.

I'd suggest you book First Class as you will have much more room and your small luggage can easily fit above you. Larger pieces will be stored at either end of the carriage.

You will leave Madrid from Atocha station which is pretty central and will arrive in Barcelona at Sants Estacio. This is just west of central Barcelona and would entail a cab ride to your ship.

• 8 years later...

does anyone know the difference in the fares for the train from madrid to barcelona ..their is ecomomy, comfort and premium ...ecomomy seems to be the highest then premium and then comfort...trying to decide which one to tke

Trains are very good in Spain. You will go through security at Madrid Atocha similar to what is at airports. Last time we were there you could not go through security until just before your train was called.

BTW...we stayed at NH Numancia a few years ago. Got a great weekend rate. We very much enjoyed it....fabulous breakfasts. Sants is about five blocks from Numancia As I recall we booked it on the NH Hotels web site. Rate was the same as the on line booking engines BUT it include a full breakfast whereas the on line booking engines we were looking at did not. . We walked from the hotel to Sants. but we only had carry on rollers.

does anyone know the difference in the fares for the train from madrid to barcelona ..their is ecomomy, comfort and premium ...ecomomy seems to be the highest then premium and then comfort...trying to decide which one to tke

Did you realise you have resurrected an 8 year old thread which was on the wrong board anyway :confused: