HALF MOON CAYE - Reference list???

timelordjason

Loungers, lunch, sun, sand and sea are included. There are all sorts of things you can spend money on...like cabanas, watersport activities, etc....but you IN NO WAY need to spend a penny to have a great beach day on HMC!

If you go to the "excursions" on the website, it will show you what they charge extra for, and the prices. Even a "floating mat" is considered an "excursion", although there is no need to book something like that in advance....you can wait until you see if you really want/need one and rent it on the beach.

Loungers, lunch, sun, sand and sea are included. There are all sorts of things you can spend money on...like cabanas, watersport activities, etc....but you IN NO WAY need to spend a penny to have a great beach day on HMC!

If you go to the "excursions" on the website, it will show you what they charge extra for, and the prices. Even a "floating mat" is considered an "excursion", although there is no need to book something like that in advance....you can wait until you see if you really want/need one and rent it on the beach.

a floating mat is an excursion??? you got to be kidding hahaahaa:'):'):'):'):'):')

a floating mat is an excursion??? you got to be kidding hahaahaa:'):'):'):'):'):')

I think Holland American Line sells them in their excursions page. Carnival does not sell any of the optional "amenities" in the excursion page except for cabanas, the private oasis, etc. Clamshells, floats, water toys, etc. can all be purchased once on shore (and maybe on-ship at the Shore Excursions Desk).

lunch is included

transportation to and from the island is included-if you have FTTF you get preferential trip over, but not back

beach chair is included

attitude, you bring yourself.:D

HMC is the best "free" day you will ever have on a cruise. The free dinks with lunch, are unsweet tea, lemonade, and water.

There are bars by the beach, and the last time I was there, there were waiters walking up and down the beach, getting drink orders, charged to your sail and sign card.

Excursions that cost,- tour of the island, walking tour of the island (follow the paths, you can do that one for free) sting ray adventure, horseback riding, snorkeling excursion which happens to the right of the beach, (rockier area) boat rides in the lagoon area, and jet ski. However, if you just want beach, this place is perfect, and the day wont cost a dime.. Have fun.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Do take a walk around HMC. It's a beautiful island.

Walk to the Stingray Adventure and you can see the stingrays without getting in the water. if you go between tours you can ask the guides questions and they are happy to share knowledge. Or just go at the time of the excursion and you can watch the encounter.

• 2 weeks later...

If you look around the board there are several threads on snorkeling. The snorkeling there is not as good as many other stops on Caribbean cruises.

No, you don't snorkel in the lagoon.Some will suggest snorkeling to the south of the tender harbor as the best the island has to offer.

If you look around the board there are several threads on snorkeling. The snorkeling there is not as good as many other stops on Caribbean cruises.

No, you don't snorkel in the lagoon.Some will suggest snorkeling to the south of the tender harbor as the best the island has to offer.

Bruce, I did do some research and review of the CC snorkel posts on this blog. I agree that it doesn't look that promising compared to the other islands, but since I haven't yet been to HMC, I wanted to ask some who have. Looking at GoogleEarth, it does appear that the area south of the tender pier along the ocean coast has some reefs. Is it possible to get over to that area (looks like there is a path) and are we able to snorkel there?

Bruce, I did do some research and review of the CC snorkel posts on this blog. I agree that it doesn't look that promising compared to the other islands, but since I haven't yet been to HMC, I wanted to ask some who have. Looking at GoogleEarth, it does appear that the area south of the tender pier along the ocean coast has some reefs. Is it possible to get over to that area (looks like there is a path) and are we able to snorkel there?

That is the area I am referring to. Yes, people snorkel there. That is part of the reason there isn't much good snorkeling at HMC...not much reef.

• 2 months later...

We will be on a Holland America cruise ilater this year and it will be our first time going to their private island. My DH walks with a cane and he is not a sitting on the beach person. Are their places for him to to sit before the restaurant area? I noticed there was a tram on the map...where does it go to? Any suggestions you can give us will be appreciated. I don't want to have him go there and not be able to enjoy it.

We will be on a Holland America cruise ilater this year and it will be our first time going to their private island. My DH walks with a cane and he is not a sitting on the beach person. Are their places for him to to sit before the restaurant area? I noticed there was a tram on the map...where does it go to? Any suggestions you can give us will be appreciated. I don't want to have him go there and not be able to enjoy it.
There is many brick or concrete or hard dirt paths on HMC, at the beginning there are many shops to shop in, there are a couple of bars to hang out in all accessible to your husband. The tram goes all over the island but not sure it will take you there unless you have a shore excursion booked (ie... stingrays, horses, etc....), the tram will take you to the food court for buffet lunch with many table and chairs to sit on. The trams run every 20 or so minutes, except at the end of the day so plan accordingly :) Hope this helps :)