Revised Escape 11/11/17 East Carribean

Redriver2

Grand Cayman is ok, once or twice. Nice place, but not as beautiful as other ports. And if you are looking forward to your first Eastern Caribbean, this is a disappointment. And Jamaica? Very dull, poor, corrupt government and sub par replacement. Yeah, I'm a bit bitter. But first time on Escape, so we will make the best of it.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but you are speaking about George Town, Grand Cayman, correct? I'm having a hard time finding posts about it.

I saw quite a few posts for Grand Cayman here:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/ports/grand-cayman-cruises/

Brings lots of dough for food and drinks :)

Looks like 7 Mile Beach and shopping are the top draws. Outside of this port, only one or two ships are docked. We have 6 here, but we do get there early:

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitinggeorgetowngrandcayman-14nov2017.html

Might have to search for that not-too-crowded stretch of beach.

Edited by Redriver2
Correct link

No posted excursions this close is odd. Outside of GSC, we are doing our own in Costa Maya and will probably do elsewhere. Easier for us as we're beach bums, but would look for some fun inland. Don't have the blue water, white sand where we live.

Edited by Redriver2
typo once again

Dr. Jack Daniels

Cool Cruiser

1,462 Posts

Joined Dec 2005

Posted September 22nd, 2017, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by krissim9 If it were just me, I wouldn't care. I would make due. But it's me plus my three kids 10,10,5.

Well why didn't you say so in the beginning? After all NCL should make decisions based on what's best for 10 and 5 year old kids instead of the adults.

Shouldn't they be in school?

Is that really necessary? :rolleyes:

Necessary no, but couldn't help to chuckle..plus he should know, got a PhD in his practice :')

Edited by Redriver2
Just because

Yes, they should be in school, but they won't be because they will be on a cruise with me! I am teaching them early on to suck it up when they are really sick and go to school/work and save their "sick days" for fun stuff.

Besides who wants to go on a cruise when school is out! [emoji1]

Sent from my VS988 using Forums mobile app

Yes, they should be in school, but they won't be because they will be on a cruise with me! I am teaching them early on to suck it up when they are really sick and go to school/work and save their "sick days" for fun stuff.

No disrespect intended to krissim9, but I saw the comment as pointing out that we all have a want list. Plus did find the doc's comment fairly funny. For me, the fabricated village at Costa May isn't something I'll look for, but I will find something worthwhile. Haven't been to the other fabricated port, Falmouth, but after being at Costa Maya, there's a good chance there is more to do there. Yes, poor meets affluent comes with pushy vendors. One reason we don't see it in Costa Maya is because it doesn't have the average Yucatan penInsula person in this cruise created town. I've found that eyes open, a pleasant and firm attitude with vendors keeps the fun rolling...uh, oh, really really need-to-get-off-my-high-horse ;)

I sure that you will have fun with your young'uns. Sometimes they can learn more traveling outside of the classroom.

Okay, I certainly do not want to start false rumors...but it is 34 days out and we've only seen excursions for Falmouth. Recent news out of the Eastern Caribbean has some ports, including our original ports, possibly operating by the time of our cruise. A BIG could - if there are ports open and they want ships to come in, wouldn't those previously scheduled have priority. I realize this could be an unwanted option for some if they've reserved spots in the Western Caribbean, like us. Just saying :cool:

Okay, I certainly do not want to start false rumors...but it is 34 days out and we've only seen excursions for Falmouth. Recent news out of the Eastern Caribbean has some ports, including our original ports, possibly operating by the time of our cruise. A BIG could - if there are ports open and they want ships to come in, wouldn't those previously scheduled have priority. I realize this could be an unwanted option for some if they've reserved spots in the Western Caribbean, like us. Just saying :cool:

I would LOVE to be switched back to my original ports! Crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath...

FYI, 3 of our ports have excursions now available. My earlier comment about being open to routing back to eastern ports was only another urban myth and has been thoroughly proven false :o Only Costa Maya does not have excursions available yet.

Time to focus on fun. Come on 11/11 :bottle-pop:

And those threads that mention the cabana cost being quite expensive at Great Stirrup Cay are correct. After seeing our our re-route there, was hoping that it would be the previously good pricing for a couple that was at Harvest Caye. A value now for the groups of 6, not so much for less than that. Guess I don't want a bit of beach shack that much.

Edited by Redriver2