Brown water on Enchantment

CTCruzin

DW and I cruised on RCCL for the 1st time this last week on Enchantment. Dodged Gustav and avoided Hanna. Unfortunately there was no getting around the brown water coming out of the faucet in our stateroom. It even would staind the ceramic in the sink, so needless to say we didn't want to brush our teeth with it. Complained to guest relations who said there was an ongoing problem on the ship with the water in the cabins. They said we could use the bottled water in the cabin for free during our 5 days (which we did) to brush our teeth. Even sent us a cake, bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries to keep us happy until they figured out some form of compensation. As the ship was full, there was no cabin to move us to other that the "emergency" cabin on deck 2 all the way forward, which they showed us and also has brown water. On the last day, the guest relations manager said our concern was given to the "shore-side" folks who decided that 10% off of our next cruise would be just compensation. Now, we dont know if this was given to everyone on the ship, or just those that complained, but we don't think that was a fair deal. After all we still had to shower in that crud. There was a note sent to all passengers that RCCL was trying to fix the problem (others at our dining table had clear water). Also, each day from about 9-11 a.m. there was a complete water "shut-down" of all public water supply on the ship. There excuse was that it being an older ship there are some plumbing issues that should be expected. They will be sending the "credit" letter to our TA.

My question to everyone is that (A) Are we making too big a deal out of this? and (B) If not, should we be getting more compensation from RCCL.

Personally we would've preferred some sort of an upgrade on a future cruise or OBC. Heck, we may not even want to sail RCCL ever again.

Thanking you in advance for any and all replies. :)

While the brown water would have upset me, things happen. I think Royal Caribbean was gracious in their offerings. As for showering, were the showers in the Spa/Fitness center spewing brown water as well, or does the Enchantment not have showers in the Spa/Fitness center? My memory fails me on that one.

We were on the same cruise as OP. It didn't occur to me to seek compensation (but I might have :D !!) We simply avoided using the H2O during the midday hours, which is what the written notices said - for two days! And- there was an announcement as we were preparing to debark that, again, water would be shut off at 0900. I just sort of rolled with it, but the stale smell of urine emanating from our toilet the entire time is what REALLY yucked me out. Sadly, there were no spare toilets (or cabins) that we could swap out.

I know my post will strike a nerve with some, but I would like to express my opinion on this.

I've read reports of faulty plumbing/brown water/pipes breaking, toilets overflowing not just on this cruise line but on others, and there always seem to be those that post messages like, "well, did you have a good cruise? Did you enjoy the other aspects of your trip?" "You could have used public bathrooms/facilities"...whatever.

I find that completely insulting. No one should ever have to tolerate sub-standard, unsanitary conditions for days on end like they're in some third-world country when they're paying hard-earned money for what is supposed to be a relaxing, enjoyable vacation.

If the ship is older, and plumbing is an issue, then the cruiseline should institute standard provisions for back-up accomodations to move people into. And they need to be places that won't also be beset by the same problems as the original rooms.

So, in short, since you were subjected to unsanitary conditions through no fault of your own, I do think you should receive more in the way of compensation.

I think compensation was more than adequate.

We were also on this cruise. We were in an inside cabin 3101, and didn't experience any problem with brown water. My BIL & SIL were in the cabin next to ours, 3103, and they had brownish water. They didn't complain. I told them they should, but they didn't. We had water pressure while they were working on the water all times. Fortunately we didn't have any of the sewer smell in our cabin either.

Also, there was live music by the pool several times a day for those that were wanting to know. Surfside was the name of the band. They played the calypso music.

We had a very nice time on this cruise. We would go on the Enchantment again!

I know my post will strike a nerve with some, but I would like to express my opinion on this.

I've read reports of faulty plumbing/brown water/pipes breaking, toilets overflowing not just on this cruise line but on others, and there always seem to be those that post messages like, "well, did you have a good cruise? Did you enjoy the other aspects of your trip?" "You could have used public bathrooms/facilities"...whatever.

I find that completely insulting. No one should ever have to tolerate sub-standard, unsanitary conditions for days on end like they're in some third-world country when they're paying hard-earned money for what is supposed to be a relaxing, enjoyable vacation.

If the ship is older, and plumbing is an issue, then the cruiseline should institute standard provisions for back-up accomodations to move people into. And they need to be places that won't also be beset by the same problems as the original rooms.

So, in short, since you were subjected to unsanitary conditions through no fault of your own, I do think you should receive more in the way of compensation.

I agree with you completely!

We were on Enchantment Aug of 07 & had the brown water problem we were in a cabin that was part of the section that was added in the middle. We were on the 7th deck. The water was so bad in our stateroom that it actully stained the white wash cloths brown. It was disgusting, they told us to use the bottled water for free. We also had a leak in the bathroom & the water ran under the bed soaked the carpet all the way over to the balcony door. We were lucky & they moved us we actually got an upgrade. I feel for all of you that have had this problem it is not easy especially when you want to brush your teeth etc.

I couldn't agree more. I expect basic sanitation needs to be met to a reasonable standard. Brown water from the sink or shower - especially for more than one day - is not what I expect while on vacation. I, too, have read posts from people that had to use public toilets in the night because theirs weren't functional - for days - and got those "but how was the rest of your vacation" replies. To me, a working bathroom is pretty important (duh).

To those of you that had no problem - good for you - but the OP did seem to have a problem.

OP, I hope your next vacay is much better :)

Was the brown water unsanitary? Doesn't sound to it to me like. Did anyone get sick? I've been on cruises where there has been a brown water problem and it was really no big deal. It’s more of an eye appeal thing than anything else. I think everything Royal did for you was enough.

If the brown water was not unsanitary then why did they instruct us to drink the bottled water as the OP for free & not use the water? This is a serious problem & not eye appeal. I for one when I was on the ship would not drink, or brush my teeth with that water. When I took my shower I tried not to get any of the water in my mouth & washed my face very carefully. Anyone that wants to drink that brown water be my guest it definately is not for me.

We are scheduled to be on the Enchantment in late October and I sure hope this issue is fixed by then, but I must admit that I am starting to get worried as it already seems like this has gone on for awhile. I am pretty easy going and often laugh at what people on these boards can complain about. At first I thought this may be one of those irrational complaints, but you have to believe it is a real issue by now, and a whole lot more inconvienient than a $15 steak. I don't think clean water in your cabin with working toliets is too much to ask for. As far as showering at the spa. That is pretty unreasonable in my opinion, when trying to relax getting ready for formal night or for a quick rinse before retiring for the night, I don't want to be trekking to the far end of the ship. If I wanted to be sharing restroom facilities I would go camping for the week at about $30.00 night, saving some real money. Again, I doubt you would see it, but if RCCL wanted to impress me, the refund (20% ?) would be on the cruise with the issue, not some future cruise that most people will not take anyways.

Was the brown water unsanitary? Doesn't sound to it to me like. Did anyone get sick? I've been on cruises where there has been a brown water problem and it was really no big deal. It’s more of an eye appeal thing than anything else. I think everything Royal did for you was enough.

Umm that's a joke right? SOMETHING was making the water brown. I suspect whatever it was probably wasn't too sanitary.

Lets put it another way, would YOU drink brown water, or bathe in it for that matter, even if someone told you it was 'ok'?:rolleyes:

I don't know about everyone else, but whether the water is brown or clear, I never drink tap water on the ship. We have a well at home and sometimes after a big rain, it runs brown, so always drink bottled water. Just very unappetizing to see brown water..........

I had this happen once, don't remember the ship because it was taken care of after the first day...but, it did make me wonder just exactly what made that water brown? Kind of makes you want to go...yuck!

I agree, 10% does not seem to be enough compensation if you had to deal with this so long.

I think compensation was more than adequate.

We were also on this cruise. We were in an inside cabin 3101, and didn't experience any problem with brown water. My BIL & SIL were in the cabin next to ours, 3103, and they had brownish water. They didn't complain. I told them they should, but they didn't. We had water pressure while they were working on the water all times. Fortunately we didn't have any of the sewer smell in our cabin either.

Also, there was live music by the pool several times a day for those that were wanting to know. Surfside was the name of the band. They played the calypso music.

We had a very nice time on this cruise. We would go on the Enchantment again!

Maybe the fact that you did not have that problem in your cabin makes you think that the amount of the compensation was correct, there is no way I will accept such accomodations , I understand that if the ship is full there was not much to be done but that 10% off is a joke, just to think to smell that and to have to shower with that water makes me sick, no one shall go thru that in a vacation, RCI must correct the problem in the Enchatment ASAP.

We are scheduled to be on the Enchantment in late October and I sure hope this issue is fixed by then, but I must admit that I am starting to get worried as it already seems like this has gone on for awhile. I am pretty easy going and often laugh at what people on these boards can complain about. At first I thought this may be one of those irrational complaints, but you have to believe it is a real issue by now, and a whole lot more inconvienient than a $15 steak. I don't think clean water in your cabin with working toliets is too much to ask for. As far as showering at the spa. That is pretty unreasonable in my opinion, when trying to relax getting ready for formal night or for a quick rinse before retiring for the night, I don't want to be trekking to the far end of the ship. If I wanted to be sharing restroom facilities I would go camping for the week at about $30.00 night, saving some real money. Again, I doubt you would see it, but if RCCL wanted to impress me, the refund (20% ?) would be on the cruise with the issue, not some future cruise that most people will not take anyways.

If i was in your position I will call Royal Caribbean and swicth my cruise, perhaps you can do the Majesty of the Seas, it sails out of Port of Miami and it does 4 days and 3 days , if this problem has been going on for a while I will not go, I thought about going on the Enchatment for our next cruise before we book this one on CC and when I read some reviews I was dissappointed, I been in 2 RCI cruises that were great, both times the Majesty of the Seas, but that was like 10 years ago when it was new. We also sailed her in 03 and was excellent .Once again if I was in your position I will call them and document all of your doubts.

Good luck,

Terry

Well, it's odd... the water that was served at meals was crystal clear, as were the ice cubes. Weird... for us, it was inconvenient, but I imagine if you were trying to shower or bruth your teeth... eewww.

Memo to self... let the desk know WHILE we're still on the ship, haha!! A bottle of wine and cake would have been appreciated by us, much less a credit.

I'm not sure what a fair compensation would be...I've gotten 25% off next cruise for leaving late (5 hours) and having no electricity for most of that time.

The water issue is inconvenient and gross. I would certainly pursue it--trying to get an answer of exactly what was wrong, why it happened and let them know about your discomfort and inconvenience. I would NOT expect a free cruise--but I do think 10% is a little low.

DH and I were on this ship in May and also had the brownish colored water. I never thought to complain. We just drank the bottled water in the room and yes we paid for it. We also had our toilet overflow sometime during the night on the 2nd night. Called to let them know and they just sent someone to clean up the mess. Nothing more was said. It was clear water so did not seem to be a problem. Then later the next day the toilet wouldn't flush at all and we were told there was a blockage somewhere down the line and it would be fixed right away which it was. Humm just not the complaining type I guess, not a real health issue so didn't get upset over it. They were nice and handled all the problems right away. We just grinned and said it must be because the ship is so old. Didn't let it ruin our cruise we had a wonderful time any way. Things happen.....

This wasn't near as bad as the horrid sewer smell on the top deck on the Liberty of the Seas in February..Now that was a health issure for sure. And on a new ship to say the least.

Archived