Alaska Cruise on a budget?

kathy884

We did Carnival last summer round trip to Alaska specifically because we had Southwest points, they have good entertainment options for kids (ours were 10 and 14 at the time), and it was affordable (we were able to do two cabins). This was our third Alaskan cruise and we felt pretty comfortable with the ports so we did most of the days as cheap as possible so we could have one big splurge excursion.

Tracy's Arm - It's very pretty, but I have to agree with other posters that it's not worth paying to leave the ship. No won't know until that day how the ice is flowing and you might not even get that much closer to the glacier than the ship does. The naturalist does a pretty decent job (not as good as the one we had on Princess two summers prior, but pretty good). Find a great spot on deck and rotate between there and your balcony for the best viewing (there is a covered deck low near the water that offers great viewing as you sail in and out).

Juneau - We were able to do a half day whale watch for 4 and then go to Medenhall. It was worth every penny and it was our big splurge. If you want to see whales up close this is the place. With the number in your party the cost per person shouldn't be too bad and will be within your budge. Other option in Juneau is to rent a car for the day and drive to the glacier and the gardens then out to eagle's beach (end of the road), back to Juneau and over to the island for an incredible view of the glaciers. You can eat on your own or pick up food on the way out of the city to use for a picnic along the way.

Skagway - the two times we've been here with our kids we've rented a car and it's been an awesome choice for us. The drive over the summit is like no other. The change in landscape and weather - is just wow! This past summer we stopped in Carcross and got ice cream (our kids marveled at how it wasn't melting and it was July), then drove to Whitehorse and had lunch. We went to the hydroelectric dam on the way back, saw Emerald lake, Carcross Dessert and stopped to have our pics taken at the Yukon sign and Alaska sign - plus several other places we felt like getting out. It was fun and while our 14 yo napped most of the way the rest of enjoyed the views. We even saw a bear and a lynx by the road on our way back. If you have time the ranger walk/talk in Skagway is pretty good and would be worth your time.

Ketchikan - Walking around and shopping are great options for this port. It's not a big city. Don't recommend the Duck Tours here - it was pitful and boring. The Lumberjack show was entertaining. Previously we opted to have our expensive excursion here and kayaked with Southeast Kayaks. It was September and cold - but it was very, very fun and they took excellent care of us and kept the kids (then 5 and 8) totally entertained while we paddled.

You can spends thousands of dollars to do Alaska but you don't have to. Make the trip what you want it to be. There are lots of other great ideas on this thread and on the boards for cheap to free ideas. I think it's all about spending money to see what is most important to you. Don't be afraid to it cheap, because honestly when I think about cruising Alaska what makes me want to go back is being able to sit and watch the beauty as we sail.

I wanted to add that if you are able to do this trip then you should. I am really amazed at how much Medenhall and other glaciers have receded since our first visit. This is a trip and adventure like no other. Going on a cruise as a family allows you to be together and apart and all have a fabulous time. Don't miss out on this adventure. I'm really glad that I've been able to take my kids to Alaska (twice) and I know that they will one day (hopefully) go back with their families and talk about all the fun we had.

Edited by tampafish

I've sailed to Alaska 3 times, all three on Norwegian Cruise Line.

We did a whale watching excursion on our first time. I would say it is worth the money, especially for your son. We had a wonderful show from the whales. We also saw other wildlife.....sea lions on buoys, etc. It really was worth the money, dh and I thought. We did a tour combo that brought us to Mendendall Glacier and then down to our boat for our whale watching. We loved it!

We have done a few things that cost little to nothing, that we considered excellent! In Ketchikan you can take the city bus...$2 roundtrip....to Totem Bright State Park. The State Park is outstanding, and it is free. The bus ride took a bit of time, maybe 1/2 hour?????..Can't remember exactly.

You can walk through the park, viewing the totem poles along the way. There is an Indian long house you can go inside and view. My cousin and I followed a large group around. We can be a bit dumb.....lol. We followed this group around for the longest time, listening to the wonderful guide tell all sorts of interesting facts about the totem poles. Then we FINALLY realized we had joined a paying tour that had stopped in at the park. So, we actually got a nice tour for free. But, there are signs along the way giving explanations, and I think a little guide book. Also, it's on a nice little beach with great views across the water. Enjoyed that.

Ketchikan is great to explore by walking around. There's Creek Street that is a charming street with a wooden boardwalk that is set along the creek. We've always been in August, and it's awesome to watch the big groups of salmon going upstream to spawn. We have seen many sea otter hanging out there, and it's a good time to watch them.

We've walked up the trails and side streets up along Creek Street for quite a ways. It's a nice walk and very beautiful along the street.

In Skagway, there is a tram that takes you way up the mountain/hillside. Up on top you can see all over the bay, including your cruise ship. It's really cheap. Maybe a couple of bucks per person???? Well, well worth it. There is the Mt. Roberts tram in Juneau, but it's I think about $20 per person. It does have a learning center thing on top, which is nice. But, I like the really cheap one just fine in Skagway.

In Juneau, we walked along past where the buses let you off....past where the Mt. Roberts Tram departs......and there is a beautiful park like area. When the weather is good, it's so relaxing to walk along, sit for a bit, people watch, etc. We really enjoyed that. Kids may not, though!!! lol!

I hope I've been able to help some.

I've sailed to Alaska 3 times, all three on Norwegian Cruise Line.

In Skagway, there is a tram that takes you way up the mountain/hillside. Up on top you can see all over the bay, including your cruise ship. It's really cheap. Maybe a couple of bucks per person???? Well, well worth it. There is the Mt. Roberts tram in Juneau, but it's I think about $20 per person. It does have a learning center thing on top, which is nice. But, I like the really cheap one just fine in Skagway.

I hope I've been able to help some.

Just a point of clarification: I was in Skagway in September 2013, and am not aware of any tram that "takes you way up the mountain/hillside." Actually, I am not aware of any tram at all. I think this poster is thinking of the Cape Fox Lodge funicular in Ketchikan which doesn't take you to a really high point, but the views are very nice. And the Mt. Roberts tramway in Juneau is not about $20 per person, but more like $32 per adult (kids pricing is cheaper).

Just a point of clarification: I was in Skagway in September 2013, and am not aware of any tram that "takes you way up the mountain/hillside." Actually, I am not aware of any tram at all. I think this poster is thinking of the Cape Fox Lodge funicular in Ketchikan which doesn't take you to a really high point, but the views are very nice. And the Mt. Roberts tramway in Juneau is not about $20 per person, but more like $32 per adult (kids pricing is cheaper).

Thanks for clearing that up. I was sure wondering about the tram in Skagway. I have been twice and don't remember any tram. I do remember the short funicular in Ketchikan.

Here are a couple ideas for you.

I like to rent a car in Juneau. You can go see Mendenhall(look in the trees for bears all along the footpath by the parking lot), drive all around explore, and find some of the best halibut fish and chips at the Sandbar and grill.

In Skagway...take a tour with Dyea Dave....tell him you want to go find bears. :)http://www.******************/

the museum in Ketchikan is cool. As is the fish hatchery and raptors. Look for eagles there.....They are everywhere watching you... ;) Look for golf balls in the trees.

I too think you already answered your own questions. I am sailing on Carnival this year, and found the line very enjoyable on my several past cruises with them.

I am also one, who has NEVER waited or put off any touring I wanted to do. I live for today, which has a significant meaning to me, over many years. I've found most people aren't in that mode for many reasons. I just have been very fortunate.

If you have any interest in totem poles, in Ketchikan you can ride the public bus out to Totem Bight and Potlatch Park for only a dollar, half-price for seniors, and free admission to the parks.

Totem Bight State Historical Park

Potlatch Totem Park in Ketchikan Alaska

For Juneau, taking the bus out to Mendenhall Glacier is an inexpensive excursion for one or two people, but with your entire family it would be worthwhile to rent a car instead, which would let you see a lot more and make better use of your time there.

If your parents have Golden Age or Senior Passes, be sure to bring them along as they will provide free admission to the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center for all of you.

• 1 month later...
Princess' ships should sail into Tracy's arm. Not sure if you still need to book extra excursion

Princess sails into Tracy Arm but the cruise ships stop far from the face of the glacier. I'd say I've been here 8+ times on multiple lines and have never gotten farther in than the island where the channel splits to the North and South Sawyer glaciers. Also have never seen Princess offer the small boat option.

I've done the small boat Adventure Bound excursion from Juneau 4-5 times and continue to repeat every time I'm in port. With 50+ cruises all over the world I rank this in my top 3 or so favorite excursions anywhere (hard to beat Penguins in Falkland Islands) Once you have been "up close" and personal with the Glaciers its hard to just view from the distance the cruise ships achieve. First time viewers on the ship will be impressed but its like watching a baseball game from the upper deck vs front row behind the dugout. Same game but totally different experience.