Aruba or Curacao tips?

Seattle M&M

I can’t speak for Curacao but my partner and I love Aruba. It is one of our favorite places to vacation and we find the people there to be extremely friendly, nonjudgmental and open. I don’t think there are many exclusive gay attractions, bars, beaches, etc to go to, but then again it is a very small island and the population is probably not large enough to support a network of gay establishments.

Our favorite beaches are near the Low Rise Resort area which includes Manchebo Beach and Eagle Beach. They are much less crowded and commercial then the Palm Beach area near the mega resorts and we find it to be much more relaxing. We actually spent a week at the Manchebo Resort and much to our surprise the first day noticed quite a few topless women. We later found out it is known for being very “open” around that part of the beach and there was definitely more of a European influence. Most people we met were Dutch and there were very few kids and it seemed like people were just very tolerant to anything and we immediately felt comfortable. It seemed like you could do what you wanted, be who you wanted and wear what you wanted (or as little as you wanted) and nobody really noticed or cared. It certainly was not like your typical day at the Jersey Shore and probably one of the most relaxing and enjoyable vacations we have ever taken together.

I have heard there are some smaller more secluded beaches around the island where there might be more of a gay following or even nude sunbathing, but we enjoyed Manchebo so much we really never ventured off to find them.

We’re heading out on a Southern Caribbean cruise later in January on the Emerald Princess and we’re excited that it stops in Aruba. We really can’t wait to go back even if it is for just a day.

Oh, and the beaches are easily accessible by bus (line 10) or taxi. The bus drivers were very friendly and will tell you which stop to get off depending on where you’re heading. They accept American or Aruban money and they’ll make change. Likewise the taxis are not expensive and it’s probably only 10 minutes from the pier to Eagle / Manchebo Beaches…maybe 15 to 20 minutes if you head to the high rise area on Palm Beach.

Enjoy your cruise!

Dave

We took this cruise last April, and loved Aruba & Curacao. We lucked out with a gay cab driver in Aruba, who gave us "the tour". Said there wasn't really a gay beach, as all were welcoming. We had a good swim at Eagle Beach.

Although we loved Curacao, if there's nightlife there - you won't see it, as the Westerdam leaves around sunset. We enjoyed the outdoor cafes on the main square and along the water - very Amsterdam-like, with good Dutch beer! And I strongly, strongly recommend touring the Synagogue and museum, whether or not you're Jewish.

Archived