Water in Mexico?

racegirl35

So I have always heard "don't drink the water in Mexico." One of the shore excursions we were looking at offers an open bar. Is it safe to drink the fruity drinks? Say like a pina colada or strawberry daquiri, considering this is made with ice I figured it would be unsafe? I don't want to pay the extra for the open bar if I can't enjoy the drinks!

We winter in Chicxulub, a small village near Progreso. We do no drink the tap water. However, more importantly we wash our hands before we eat or drink. I would not worry about the drinks, since the mixers come from bottles or cans. The ice is usually made in in central ice making plants from purified water. In my experience if you are going to get sick, it will be from your dirty unwashed hands wrapped around a chip or taco.

So I have always heard "don't drink the water in Mexico." One of the shore excursions we were looking at offers an open bar. Is it safe to drink the fruity drinks? Say like a pina colada or strawberry daquiri, considering this is made with ice I figured it would be unsafe? I don't want to pay the extra for the open bar if I can't enjoy the drinks!

On your shore excursion that offers an open bar you'll be perfectly safe having the drinks. :D