PRIDE- Just returned.

wack001

Just returned from a week on the "PRIDE".

Ask any questions and I will post the response.

This was my 11th cruise, Very Nice time, but my 4th best overall behind;

Century, Sun, Zandam in that order, hard to rank a crusie as I am very active. Anybody going will have a great time.

We were on the same cruise. Embarcation definitely sucked big time. Yes, a lot of it was out of their control due to the crew immigration check. Still, the entire process seemed so disorganized and all the multiple lines drove us nuts.

We did have a great time though. And disembarking was a breaze icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wack001:

Just returned from a week on the "PRIDE".

Ask any questions and I will post the response.

This was my 11th cruise, Very Nice time, but my 4th best overall behind;

Century, Sun, Zandam in that order, hard to rank a crusie as I am very active. Anybody going will have a great time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any good bargins in the ports? I already know the embarcation process is going to be a mess.

NCL 5/1991

Ecstasy 6/2004

Pride 6th June 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;6;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I really do think the mess with embarkation was due solely to the immigration checks for the crew. When we sailed on May 9th embarkation was a breeze. Hopefully, you hit it right and miss the 90 day immigration check.

Yolanda

Carnival Pride to the Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;05;09;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

15_4_109.gif

I was on the May 16 cruise and I felt that Carnival did an excellent job with what they had to work with. Embarkation was entirely out of their hands. They explained that out of the 8 immigration booths, 4 of them were taken up with the crew having to provide their documentation leaving only 4 for passengers. I totally disagree with the number of lines. We were directly in front as we were with Skipper's Club and the Carnival cruise employee at the front either told the people asking to get in the left line if they had already pre-registered at the Queen Mary and the right line if they still had to register. She told Skipper's Club and passengers needing special assistance to not wait in line and that she would get them when it was time to board. About 15 minutes before boarding she called us and we stood directly in front of the left line enabling us to get on first. It was very organized although long. There WERE NOT numerous lines...only 2. And we were there for over an hour and in front observing the entire process. When we got off the ship a week later we had an early flight and were off the ship by 8:30 and at LAX by 9:30 easily making our 10:55 flight. Carnival did an OUTSTANDING job during the entire week.

Can't Wait !!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;16;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

We were also on the May 16th sailing. Yes the lines were long but we had Carnival reps coming around to explain what the problem was. This is something that happens every 90 days. Early registration was a breeze and when the line started to move it was only a few minutes until we were on board.

We did not fly so were not in a hurry to get off so waited until our tags were called and as luck would have it we were the next to last color called. We were off the ship and in our car by 11:35.

I also only saw two lines. The Queen Mary early registration was available longer than they usually are...they came over at 1:00pm...and we boarded at 2:00.

Folks;

What happened during the embarkation was inexcusable.

Carnival is the biggest cruise line and if the folks know that once every 90 days or so immigration will do the check, then a contingency plan needs to be in place and executed when the problem occurs. This way you have a backup system in place. It will take extra time and people to develop, but " I am Sorry" does not fit the bill since it was not the first time.

I had three groups coming on board; I registered early and waited in line for 3 Hrs in the hot sun. I would not have minded if Carnival folks had just informed us folks in line that there is a problem and then they do not know how long, DO NOT LIE, give me the facts.

I also had folks coming in late; yes they kept the QM line open, but then jerked the people back and forth.

Bottom line, have a plan in place to help US the customers.

Once again I disagree with you. It was TOTALLY out of Carnival's hands. This was even explained to me personally by a Customs agent. Had you read the boards and/or called Carnival ahead of time they would have told you that you WILL NOT BOARD until 1:30 pm. I knew it 3 days before cruising and it was posted on these boards as well. arnival cannot implement their own immigration procedures and are at the mercy of the government.

Can't Wait !!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;16;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I guess you never heard of a contingency plan.

As a former soldier we always had a back up plan if we knew something could happen.

Read the boards, this I often do, however, I never received a singe email or flyer saying anything, keeping all these very upset folks standing in the hot sun and saying "a few more minutes". Just give the facts. This has nothing to do with immigration.

What about the vacation club?

At the very least it FELT like there were multiple lines: first for early check in, then to start boarding, then to take a picture (which by that time was the last thing we wanted to do), then to go through security, and then to finally walk on the ship. We waited for 30 minutes for early check in. Then another 1.5 hrs to just start moving. Carnival employees came by several times to tell us to have the S&S cards ready 45 minutes before they started boarding. Why get everyone's hopes up for nothing?

Also, if they know that there will be days when people have to wait, make the waiting area more comfortable. There was absolutely no shade outside and it was a warm day. It gets hotter in the summer. Good thing it did not rain. I can just imagine all the people packed into QM...

There's got to be a better way. I agree about needing to have a contingency plan, to at least make people who are waiting more comfortable. These immigration checks happen every 90 days.

I do want to mention for the record that in no way did we let the embarkation experience ruin our cruise. We had a wonderful time and loved the ship. Would go back in a heartbeat, even if it means having to wait in long lines again icon_cool.gif

sorry wack001 but I was in the service too and all their contingency plans usually ended up with us standing in lines longer. we didn't enjoy standing in line but we didn't feel like it was a big deal. Just keep a good book with you and the time will go by before you know it and you will be cruising. bethee's husband

Polina;

Agree, they could have had a tent set up for water and gave numbers accoding to your place in line, just tell the folks the story, much like u I had a nice time.

Sorry Bethee, do not know what service you where in, but in the USAF and having been on numerous deployments, everything usually went well, no lines..maybe you where in the ARMY

What did you folks think of all the numerous announcements trying to hawk/sell items that was a major irritant for me. Food and service were great

We pretty much tried to ignore the announcements. There were so many of them, especially for the spa, and especially on port days, it became amusing. We were more turned off by the photographers who sometimes acted just like the vendors. But again, those are minor details that would not get in our way of having fun. We too found the food and service excellent and loved the shows. We were bummed the hot tubs closed at 11 icon_confused.gif

Ok - I give up. This being my first Carnivaal Cruise, I don't understand why people keep referring to the "Queen Mary". Will someone please explain??

Judy

Carnival Pride - Mexico

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Celebrity/Mercury - Alaska Aug 2000

Celebrity/Century back to back Caribbean Aug 2001

Celebrity Century Western Caribbean Feb 2002

Rented a villa in Jamaica Aug 2002

Norwegian Star Hawaii July 2003

Norwegian Sea Bermuda July 2003

Hockeymom,

When people refer to the Queen Mary during the Pride check in procedure it refers to "early check in". Aside from the debacle that I and others experienced on 5/16/04 during embarkation what ideally should happen is the following, assuming you arrive early.

1. Arrive in Long Beach approx 9am.

2. Since the Long Beach Cruise terminal, big white dome, is designed for one way traffic only (i.e. embarkation or disembarkation not both), then a procedure was set up to accomadate people getting to long beach early.

3. Near the tail end of the queen mary is an entrance. Enter there, go to the left, Carnival has setup approx. 12 stations where people can do there check in, receive Sail and Sign cards etc. Since official embarkation/Check in usually doesn't start until 12:30, nothing to do right??? Wrong, for $10 you can have a self guided tour of the Queen Mary to kill the rest of the morning with.

From what I read it's pretty nice for people who get there early or spend the night before the cruise in the Long Beach area. However, this time around there was problems with immigration etc as has been covered on this thread. From the time we arrived at the cruise terminal 11 am until we set foot on the ship approx. 2pm it was 3 hours. 15 minutes checking in at the Queen Mary, 30 minutes for lunch at the little seaport village place, 1 hour 30 minutes waiting in long line outside terminal, doors opened, line for security scan of bags and metal detector, line for those incesant photographers (they will annoy you more then time share people I'll tell ya, wait till you run the gauntlet in Puerto Vallarta), another line for picture on the sail and sign card. Line to go onto gangway and then **bam** you're on the ship, ONLY took 3 hours and 15 minutes. My wife's feet got sunburnt standing in line. 3 words to describe it: BRUTAL, BRUTAL, BRUTAL................

Our First Cruise:

Carnival Pride 5/16/04

Judy,

If you look at this link, http://www.nbc4.tv/wxcam/1391499/detail.html during the day on Monday, Friday, or Sunday you can see the Queen Mary, the Spruce Goose (white dome) where you start the boarding process, and the ship that it currently in port. Today Friday, it is the Ecstasy.

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

05/30/04 Carnival Pride cruise & the wraparound balcony

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

06/28/04 Ecstasy-

Mom's 80th birthday- It's no longer a surprise!!

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Ecstasy 05/26/03

O.K. so besides getting on taking forever how was the rest of the cruise? What did you do in the ports? Did you use birth certificate and drivers licence as ID or did you use passport was one faster than the other?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

9/04 Pride Second Anniversary, First Honeymoon!

Tinydancer all you need at each port is your Ship and Sail Card and a picture id(driver's license) as your backup. We never had to produce our driver's licenses but had them just in case. See when you board the ship at Long Beach you place your face against an object that takes your photo. So when you enter and exit at each port your photo shows up when you slip your S & S card in the little slot. The crew member identifies you and you are good to go. I have heard that once in awhile the S & S card doesnt always show the photo in which case you have your driver's license to verify who you are. I hope that helps.

Can't Wait !!!

Thanks everyone! Since I live within 1/2 hour of Long Beach and the terminal, I can pass on the Queen Mary tour. We have done it several times and visited the Spruce Goose when it was here. Maybe we should just take our time and board around 2PM.

Judy

Carnival Pride - Mexico

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Celebrity/Mercury - Alaska Aug 2000

Celebrity/Century back to back Caribbean Aug 2001

Celebrity Century Western Caribbean Feb 2002

Rented a villa in Jamaica Aug 2002

Norwegian Star Hawaii July 2003

Norwegian Sea Bermuda July 2003

Hockeymom;

If you get a chance and like to cruise, I would urge you to consider spending the night at the Queen Mary before you cruise the 'PRIDE". I would recommend this for any cruise fan, the QM was wonderful to tour (if you are a history buff, it will take about 4+hrs).

As for the other question on ports. This was my 11th cruise and I thought the ports offered a great deal.

At Puerto; I did the canopy (on my own not the ship excursion. Also paid 1/2 the price and stayed 3 hrs longer and the ropes were longer).

At Maz; did the happy horse, I am not a rider, but I wish I had stayed longer.

At Cabo: went to lover’s beach in a cayak, this was an experince. Waves were Super sized.

I NEVER do ship excursions as I think you can have so much more fun on our own, and do not get the cattle car feel.

Hate to be back at work.

Pride 04

Zuiderdam 03

Sun 02

Destiny 01

Zaandam 00

Sea 99

Century 98

Leeward 97

Fantasy 96

Big Red 95

Triton 94

agree on the photographers, they did act like the vendors, just too pushy and whrere rude when u did not want your picture taken.

But did take good pictures..

Pride 04

Zuiderdam 03

Sun 02

Destiny 01

Zaandam 00

Sea 99

Century 98

Leeward 97

Fantasy 96

Big Red 95

Triton 94

The delay WAS Carnival's fault - actually the Capt. of the Pride's fault. Because of the 90 day immigration inspection arrangements were made between Immigration and the local Carnival agent for the Pride and to be there at 5 a.m. That way the crew would be completed before the passengers would start disembarkation. However, the Pride was nearly 2 hours late - it's said in order to conserve fuel. It was a no win situation for everyone involved at that point.

Archived