Jewel effected by Leslie

waterbugohio

Received an email from girlfriend who is aboard the Jewel doing a TA.

They will probably not be stopping at Newfoundland on Thursday due to the storms in the Atlantic. She said there is talk of making a different stop, possibly Maine, but no decisions made yet.

They left Iceland yesterday and are at sea the next three days.

I knew there were a couple other people that had friends/relatives on this sailing, so I thought I would give the heads up

reallyitsmema,

I knew someone on here had their mom onboard. I just couldn't remember who. Have you talked with her? Have they had any rough waters so far? Just got a short email this morning. "Sunny skies this morning, enjoying breakfast on the balcony. Had flurries leaving Iceland yesterday"

So if they don't add another stop then they will be at sea from today till they dock Sunday morning. That seems like a long time to "entertain" everyone on the ship. But then I have never done a TA, so I think even the 3 days would get long.

I have emailed back and forth a bunch with her but she hasn't said too much. I bet I will hear from her again later when she checks to see if I got her email. They will now end up with 6 sea days in a row. They originally had 3 sea days then a day in Newfoundland and then 2 sea days down to Boston. As of when she emailed, they expect to be in Boston as scheduled Sunday morning.

I know there have been lots of issues with the computers on board with them not even available one night.

As far as the entertainment, they will be fine since it really is only one extra day at sea than planned. Plus, the rollcall for this thread had so much planned including a list of people who played bridge, mexican train, LRC, etc that they will keep themselves busy. I know my mom and her friend are exhausted after having so many port days and very long excursions that they will be happy to curl up with a good book.:)

Can you please update this thread if you hear from her. Just like to hear how the weather is effecting them.

Absolutely. I tried to track them but they are out of range and probably will be for most of the next 6 days.

Keep an eye on their rollcall too since a couple of people have posted to that thread. Someone just posted the same information you and I had heard. He also said that the Captain told them that the Brilliance is missing more ports that the Jewel. Brilliance is skipping Iceland and another port according to the Miz.

Hopefully things don't get too rough.

This is what happened to us on our Jewel TA in 2010. We left Iceland, heading for Newfoundland, and came across a North Atlantic storm. The captain had that same type of meeting in the theater with a big weather map up on the screen, showing us the storm and our position at the moment. We were supposed to have 2 sea days to NF and then head to Nova Scotia so he just made it 3 sea days and we got to NS the evening before our scheduled arrival.

It really wasn't that bad, the seas were not all that rough (well, just in my opinion probably) considering we were going through the edge of a huge storm, and they really ramped up the activities. They put out a revised Compass and there was plenty to do. Plus I think the Jewel is a good ship for sea days, even if you can't go outside (the doors to the outside decks were locked at times for the passenger's safety). Lots of places to sit and people watch or read.

We missed ports on our NCL Star cruise last year and had 3 sea days and there wasn't anywhere to just sit and relax. People EVERYWHERE!!!! We had a balcony cabin but it wasn't comfortable to sit in there....the couch was like 2 blocks of foam covered with icky fabric. We saw a lot of movies on that cruise just because that was the only way to find somewhere to sit!

Given the size of the Jewel and knowing the Atlantic can be choppy anyway, I bet they are in for a wild ride the next night or so... :eek:

They left Iceland at 5pm local time last night. Looking at the storms, my guess is they are going due south to try to get under things but since we can't track them at this point, who knows where they are.

world.gif

Should be an interesting 6 days.

Found this information showing present position 1 day after leaving Reykjavik

Departure was 1 d 54 min ago. (at 17:00 h local time) Sept 9, 12

Arrival will be in 2 d 16 hrs 36 min. (at 08:00 h local time)

Traveled distance since Reykjavik: 393.31 nm (728.41 km)

Remaining distance to St. Johns (Newfoundland): 1,028.69 nm (1,905.13 km)

Traveled distance since Harwich: 2,242.40 nm (4,152.93 km)

Course: 238°

Waterbugohio, last Oct on our LOS TA from Barcelona, after our last port on the Canary Islands, we had 7 full days at sea. We were in and out of storms so activity by the pool was limited and inside activity seemed at times, absent. In most cases, they provide plenty of things to do if your excellant Ports, Service and shows, things to do were scarce.

Found this information showing present position 1 day after leaving Reykjavik

Departure was 1 d 54 min ago. (at 17:00 h local time) Sept 9, 12

Arrival will be in 2 d 16 hrs 36 min. (at 08:00 h local time)

Traveled distance since Reykjavik: 393.31 nm (728.41 km)

Remaining distance to St. Johns (Newfoundland): 1,028.69 nm (1,905.13 km)

Traveled distance since Harwich: 2,242.40 nm (4,152.93 km)

Course: 238°

That would be their scheduled position and not their actual position

Brilliance also changing schedule - they skipped Faroe islands and are going directly to Iceland. However, Leslie at that time will be just SW of Iceland moving towards the NE. I'm a bit concerned on what Brilliance may do because I don't think they will go to Iceland if they are forecasting a hurricane there.

Seas are forecasted to be 12 meters right where Jewel is headed.

This is what happened to us on our Jewel TA in 2010. We left Iceland, heading for Newfoundland, and came across a North Atlantic storm. The captain had that same type of meeting in the theater with a big weather map up on the screen, showing us the storm and our position at the moment. We were supposed to have 2 sea days to NF and then head to Nova Scotia so he just made it 3 sea days and we got to NS the evening before our scheduled arrival.

It really wasn't that bad, the seas were not all that rough (well, just in my opinion probably) considering we were going through the edge of a huge storm, and they really ramped up the activities. They put out a revised Compass and there was plenty to do. Plus I think the Jewel is a good ship for sea days, even if you can't go outside (the doors to the outside decks were locked at times for the passenger's safety). Lots of places to sit and people watch or read.

I think we were waiting to board in Boston when you arrived. We talked to some people after disembarking and they weren't real thrilled with the ride. There were still some pale looking passengers. :D

That's why I said it was just my opinion that the seas were not that rough. I had expected the North Atlantic to be rougher than it was BEFORE we hit the storm, so being in the storm was how I had expected it to be all along. We always take Bonine (or whatever it's called these days) so even though we can feel the ship rocking it doesn't really bother us.

At the captain's talk about the storm and our change of itinerary some people asked him what would happen if he went through the storm to get to NF on schedule and he replied that the ship would be fine but the passengers would be pretty miserable. I thought the Jewel weathered the whole thing very well.

Jumbo, we haven't experienced really rough seas yet, but then we have only done one TA. We don't mind the rocking and had an evening on the LOS after we left La Palma, that caused us to drift quite a bit while walking.:D I think the motion up can be a little more awkward and you think your stepping up.LOL

Coming back off our 17 day Panana after leaving San Fran, the Capt had to slow down due to high seas but we never noticed anything and we were on the older Sun Princess.

We did this same cruise last year on the Jewel, it was our best cruise. Yes, there was threats of Atlantic storms...however, the Cap't change course and sailed further North, resulting in seeing the Aurora Borealis (sp) and that was a big WOW!

That's why I said it was just my opinion that the seas were not that rough. I had expected the North Atlantic to be rougher than it was BEFORE we hit the storm, so being in the storm was how I had expected it to be all along. We always take Bonine (or whatever it's called these days) so even though we can feel the ship rocking it doesn't really bother us.

At the captain's talk about the storm and our change of itinerary some people asked him what would happen if he went through the storm to get to NF on schedule and he replied that the ship would be fine but the passengers would be pretty miserable. I thought the Jewel weathered the whole thing very well.

I didn't think the seas were rough either.

I still laugh about that talk - the number of people that couldn't understand why we were missing Newfoundland still shocks me. That and the number of people who wanted us to also skip Sydney and arrive in Boston early so they could catch their too early flights.

........As far as the entertainment, they will be fine since it really is only one extra day at sea than planned. Plus, the rollcall for this thread had so much planned including a list of people who played bridge, mexican train, LRC, .........:)

We are always looking for new things to do on our Meet and Mingles. What is "mexican train?"

Archived