Upper Bed vs Sofa Bed on Epic

sunrise&set

I am looking at booking the Epic for next year. It will be me, DH and DS. After reading many posts about the layout of the cabins, I was wondering if it would be better to get a cabin with an upper bunk as opposed to using the sofa bed. I know when the sofa bed is set up, it takes up a lot of space. This isn't just for the Epic but other ships and cruiselines too. DS will be old enough to go on the upper bunk. I haven't been in a cabin with an upper bunk yet.

Just wondering your thoughts?? I'll probably post this in the family cruising section too.

Thanks!

The first NCL cruise we went on we had balcony room for 3 people. The 3rd berth was a fold out sofa bed and it was horrible!

When it is folded out completely there is no space and we had to climb over it to get to the balcony. And also it was sooo uncomfortable!

So for our next 3 cruises I made sure to book a cabin for 4 people (5 people on the SUN) so that our DS could sleep on the pullman bed. He liked it a lot better than the fold out sofa bed. And we got more space at night!

When we booked our Epic cruise we wanted an aft balcony cabin and took a chance and booked cabin for 3. We were pleasantly surprised with the new sofa bed - it's a bed not a fold out sofa bed. We slid it out a bit - it was fine. And DS slept good on it. Good work NCL in designing the new sofa beds on the EPIC - a great improvement over the fold out sofa beds on other ships.

So ..... if your DS is small you may not need to slide the bed all the way out. If you really prefer to have a pullman bed (that drops down from the ceiling) you need to book a cabin for 4 and that will cost you a bit more than a cabin for 3.

Enjoy!

The pull down bed actually is more intrusive than the couch. My dd9 and ds13 slept fine on the couches.

345-vi.jpg

You can see here how you can still get by the pulled out couch, but the pull down bed is at a height that makes it difficult to get past

347-vi.jpg

Edited by sdmike

Here you can see the room with just the couch made up for the night. Again, a little tyke can sleep on the couch pushed in further than this. No problems at all getting past it.

411-vi.jpg

Edited by sdmike

Thank you so much for the pics. The sofa bed on RCL pulled all the way out and was a separate mattress. There was no way to push it in. I think the couch will be just fine.

Here you can see the room with just the couch made up for the night. Again, a little tyke can sleep on the couch pushed in further than this. No problems at all getting past it.

411-vi.jpg

• 5 years later...
The pull down bed actually is more intrusive than the couch. My dd9 and ds13 slept fine on the couches.

345-vi.jpg

You can see here how you can still get by the pulled out couch, but the pull down bed is at a height that makes it difficult to get past

347-vi.jpg

I was panicking that they might think a family balcony was 2 adults and 2 kids and the kids shared the couch. We are 4 adults. These pictures are very helpful cause the description on NCL Epic site doesn't say there is a pullman. Whew.