Bonaire for little kids

ladygal4.4

Suggestions for port activities for kids - 5 and 7. They don't know how to swim, but love playing in the ocean. So I would need a soft sand beach, but something with shade. We are very fair-skinned and I don't want my kids burnt. Preferably, something close to the cruise ship port

No matter where you go, put PLENTY of sunscreen on all of you! Every 2 hours, at least! Put it on BEFORE you leave the ship! Don't wait until you're at the beach...it takes 30 mins or so to be effective...and fair skin will burn in 30 mins!

I suggest a guidebook to tell you about EVERYTHING at all your ports. Googling works too, but a book gives you everything in one place...no going from site to site and scrolling around! Libraries have guidebooks!

Rash guards are a must in addition to applying and re-applying lots of sunscreen, even if you're in the shade. Hopefully a parent who has been there with little ones will answer here, but also for specific port advice, also try the ports of call boards - the folks there will most likely have the best match for what you're looking for.

All the best,

Mia

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We went earlier this year with our 1 1/2 year old. We walked to the Plaza Resort and it was a couple miles and spots on the highway, I don't recommend. The beach was very rocky and hard to get into the water, I guess this is how most of Bonaire is. Also the sun was very very harsh ( we live in Florida and have been on 13 cruises and this was the worse sun yet). We put sunscreen on frequently and everyone still got sunburnt even my lo with a rashguard and hat :( I will say that the snorkeling and water were amazing but the beach isn't very kid friendly. There is a water taxi that you can take to a deserted island which I believe is more of a sandy beach but has no amenities.