Is it worth the 13 hour flight?

TucsonRick

We are scheduled to sail on the Dawn Princess with ports as follows: Auckland, New Zealand, Tauranga, New Zealand,Napier, New Zealand,Wellington, New Zealand, Akaroa, New Zealand, Dunedin (Port Chalmers), New Zealand,Fiordland National Park, New Zealand, Melbourne, Australia, Sydney, Australia.

Australia and New Zealand are on my bucket list but long airline flights are like torture for me. Is it worth the 13 hour flight from LA to visit these ports?

Rick

yes, did this cruise last october with queensland cruise too. well worth it, but try for business class or roomier seats. i think there is a new class of premium seats on air new zealand.

We did a cruise to some of these ports in Feb/Mar and we loved them. We especially loved the tour we took in Tauranga (Jim Archer of Archer Tours) and the town of Dunedin. Landing at Sydney (and I imagine taking off from) was beautiful, one of the best we've experienced. Go, you'll love it!

We are scheduled to sail on the Dawn Princess with ports as follows: Auckland, New Zealand, Tauranga, New Zealand,Napier, New Zealand,Wellington, New Zealand, Akaroa, New Zealand, Dunedin (Port Chalmers), New Zealand,Fiordland National Park, New Zealand, Melbourne, Australia, Sydney, Australia.

Australia and New Zealand are on my bucket list but long airline flights are like torture for me. Is it worth the 13 hour flight from LA to visit these ports?

Rick

Can i give you a straight up shoot from the hip Australian answer.......how the hell would we know?:p

Wit due respect, we don't know how much you can afford, what your interests are, what your expectations are etc etc etc.

Therefore, we can't tell you 'if its worth it'....none of us hold your values.

I will say, I have just come back from a similar cruise and New Zealand is one of the most beautiful smaller countries mile for mile I've been to for a long time and it's people incredibly friendly.

As for 13 hours.....also (and this shows why none of us can answer), that is nothing for a flight. A transcontinental flight here is 4 hours. A flight to the nearest foreign country is either 4 hours (New Zealand-Australia) or 6 hours (East coast cities to Bali). 24 hours to Europe. To get to the nearest major foreign city in Asia (our closest nations) is 7 hours..so 13 is not much more than an average work day and commute (although an expensive one).

One thing....it will only give you a taste of the place.....like the US Australia is a huge country and you need to be okay that unless your here for a long time, you will only get a small sample (New Zealand is a bit different due to its more compact size).

You will need to do some research based on your likes and dislikes, maake a list of what you want to see and then measure it against the time you will be in each location. Only then, if you find your missing things due to time, can you weigh up whether its worth it.

We have just returned from a similar routing to the one you are considering. For us the flight from the Uk was 24 hours. My mum has a few medical problems, like a bad back, so the only option for us was to fly business class.

The trip was amazing, and the places are beautiful. But i'm not sure I could do a 24 hour flight both ways in economy to see it, in club it's not a problem. For you it's only 12 hours, so probably worth it even if you have to fly economy.

I would say make the trip as long as you can, we extended ours with a week pre-cruise in Sydney and a week post-cruise in Auckland. It's a long way to travel, so see as much as you can whilst over there.

Can i give you a straight up shoot from the hip Australian answer.......how the hell would we know?:p

Wit due respect, we don't know how much you can afford, what your interests are, what your expectations are etc etc etc.

Therefore, we can't tell you 'if its worth it'....none of us hold your values.

I will say, I have just come back from a similar cruise and New Zealand is one of the most beautiful smaller countries mile for mile I've been to for a long time and it's people incredibly friendly.

As for 13 hours.....also (and this shows why none of us can answer), that is nothing for a flight. A transcontinental flight here is 4 hours. A flight to the nearest foreign country is either 4 hours (New Zealand-Australia) or 6 hours (East coast cities to Bali). 24 hours to Europe. To get to the nearest major foreign city in Asia (our closest nations) is 7 hours..so 13 is not much more than an average work day and commute (although an expensive one).

One thing....it will only give you a taste of the place.....like the US Australia is a huge country and you need to be okay that unless your here for a long time, you will only get a small sample (New Zealand is a bit different due to its more compact size).

You will need to do some research based on your likes and dislikes, maake a list of what you want to see and then measure it against the time you will be in each location. Only then, if you find your missing things due to time, can you weigh up whether its worth it.

I wish we had a LIKE function here because this would be my response too. Word for word.

A 13 hour flight is nothing to us. Our return from next week's Hawaiian cruise is 10 hours. Our Alaskan flight next year will be 18-22 hours. Even Americans have to travel some distance to visit overseas destinations but i do see so many comments about "loooong flights":rolleyes:. From researching our Alaskan trip and it is unbelievable that so many from the USA east coast find the 5 hour flight to Alaska so taxing.

The New Zealand cruises are always popular but please find time either pre or post cruise to explore Sydney for 3 to 4 days as a minimum.

We live in the center of Alaska, so a nonstop flight from Fairbanks to Seattle is 3.5 hours. So I am always somewhat surprised to find that some people would let a long flight deter them from traveling.

We have done a land trip to New Zealand (both islands), and spent some time in Australia following a Honolulu to Sydney cruise. We find it helpful to break up the flights. For example, when we returned from Australia, we spent several days in Honolulu before returning to Alaska.

Rick

Hi Rick - I have very fond memories of meeting you and Jeff on the Westerdam cruise in the Med in 2010. If I remember rightly, we were in the cabin directly above you. I also see a photograh of Jeff almost every day. I have some photos from that cruise set up to roll over as my screen saver. In the photo Jeff & Charles are listening very intently to our guide (Bill) during our Ephesus tour.

Anyway, back to your question. Aust & NZ are most definitely worth the flight. You see 13 hours is not really considered such a long flight to us Aussies - we have flown at least that long to most of our cruises eg Brisbane to Venice for the Westerdam cruise was 20 hours and later that same year we went back to Istanbul (25 hours) to cruise back to Singapore.

You Arizonians (correct term ?) are made of pretty stong stuff - you can do it !!

You will love NZ. It is green and beautiful. We have been to all the ports you list and loved them all. Melbourne is really interesting and the harbour in Sydney is just fabulous.

If you haven't made any real plans yet, then I suggest that January or February are the best months (with a definite learning to February. We went in December and it was still very cold in the South Island of NZ.

We have to travel Economy (tight husband!!) so on the 24 hour flights to Europe, which we have done the past four years, the best help to me has been to get good quality noise cancelling headphones. Last year I watched, in total, about a dozen episodes of Downton Abbey and quite enjoyed the flight.

I really dislike very short flights as it takes so long to get to the airport, throught the security etc etc. Doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Hi Rick - I have very fond memories of meeting you and Jeff on the Westerdam cruise in the Med in 2010. If I remember rightly, we were in the cabin directly above you. I also see a photograh of Jeff almost every day. I have some photos from that cruise set up to roll over as my screen saver. In the photo Jeff & Charles are listening very intently to our guide (Bill) during our Ephesus tour.

Anyway, back to your question. Aust & NZ are most definitely worth the flight. You see 13 hours is not really considered such a long flight to us Aussies - we have flown at least that long to most of our cruises eg Brisbane to Venice for the Westerdam cruise was 20 hours and later that same year we went back to Istanbul (25 hours) to cruise back to Singapore.

You Arizonians (correct term ?) are made of pretty stong stuff - you can do it !!

You will love NZ. It is green and beautiful. We have been to all the ports you list and loved them all. Melbourne is really interesting and the harbour in Sydney is just fabulous.

If you haven't made any real plans yet, then I suggest that January or February are the best months (with a definite learning to February. We went in December and it was still very cold in the South Island of NZ.

Elaine -

What a pleasure to hear from you! Yes, you were in the cabin above us on the Westerdam. I have very fond memories of that cruise. It was wonderful!

Thanks for your input regarding this cruise. I really want to do it and needed some convincing. I know long flights are de rigueur for many including you. I have trouble with them. The flight to Venice where we met you almost killed me! We will fly to Auckland in the premium economy class on Air New Zealand. I think that will make it tolerable for me and will have enough leg room for the big guy.

Jeff and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary next April and will be on the Dawn Princess sailing Aprii 4th. We will celebrate our anniversary in Melbourne. How is the weather at that time? A bit cool, or not?

Warmest regards to you and Charles.

Rick

Hi Again Rick - Yes, I can understand that Jeff will need the extra leg room that premium economy offers - he's tall !!

Melbourne has the reputation of "having 4 seasons in 1 day" - any day, any time of the year. So impossible to predict. It is 7.10am here right now and Melbourne is currently 13C with a forecast max of 19C for today.

April will also be quite cool in NZ (especially in the South Island). In the vernacular of almost everyone here on CC who give advice re weather and clothing - you will need to "layer".

Congratulations on your forthcoming 20th anniversary - what a great way to celebrate.

As I said in my previous post, we have been to all of your ports. If you would like more info on any of them, please feel free to email me -

elaineclout AT iprimus DOT comDOT au. Would love to hear further from you.

Rick

Hi Rick

Ahh - the wonderful memories - 1st meeting you and Jeff on a crowded vaporetto in the pouring rain on our 1st day in Venice to the wonderful tour in Ephesus when it was so hot!!

Congratulations on your 20th Anniversary which you will celebrate next year.

We fly premium economy whenever possible on long flights - just that bit of extra room to recline plus a footrest makes it so much more comfortable.

What a shame you won't be arriving in Sydney until after the Mardi Gras at end of Feb through to early March - you guys would have enjoyed the experience I'm sure.

We are flying out on April 9th to do a 37 day cruise, Miami to Seattle with Panama Canal Transit, so unfortunately we will not be around to catch up with you both. This cruise is a reunion cruise for a group of 8 that cruised together on the 2nd part of the Westerdam cruise including Elaine and Charles, so we are all very excited about catching up with wonderful friends we made.

Regards to Jeff and enjoy your cruise

Lesley :)

Melbourne in April can be any kind of weather, warm or cold. For instance yesterday was cold, windy and raining, and I had the heater on all night. Today is warm and the sun is shining, and I'm sitting here in a tshirt :)

Pack layers to allow for both cool and warm weather.

Hi Rick

Ahh - the wonderful memories - 1st meeting you and Jeff on a crowded vaporetto in the pouring rain on our 1st day in Venice to the wonderful tour in Ephesus when it was so hot!!

Congratulations on your 20th Anniversary which you will celebrate next year.

We fly premium economy whenever possible on long flights - just that bit of extra room to recline plus a footrest makes it so much more comfortable.

What a shame you won't be arriving in Sydney until after the Mardi Gras at end of Feb through to early March - you guys would have enjoyed the experience I'm sure.

We are flying out on April 9th to do a 37 day cruise, Miami to Seattle with Panama Canal Transit, so unfortunately we will not be around to catch up with you both. This cruise is a reunion cruise for a group of 8 that cruised together on the 2nd part of the Westerdam cruise including Elaine and Charles, so we are all very excited about catching up with wonderful friends we made.

Regards to Jeff and enjoy your cruise

Hi Lesley!

A bit of a reunion this has turned out to be. I guess I shouldn't be supprised that you and Elaine are on this board. Yes, our Mediterranean cruse was wonderful, pehaps the best I've been on.

Sorry that we won't be able to see you and Ken when we are in Sydney. We are planning to stay there several days after the cruise. Being an architect, I've always been fancinated with the opera house and can't wait to see it. I may email you for suggestions of other sites to see.

Your cruise sounds great! I've been thru the canal three times now.

Our best to you and Ken,

Rick

Hi Lesley!

A bit of a reunion this has turned out to be. I guess I shouldn't be supprised that you and Elaine are on this board. Yes, our Mediterranean cruse was wonderful, pehaps the best I've been on.

Sorry that we won't be able to see you and Ken when we are in Sydney. We are planning to stay there several days after the cruise. Being an architect, I've always been fancinated with the opera house and can't wait to see it. I may email you for suggestions of other sites to see.

Your cruise sounds great! I've been thru the canal three times now.

Our best to you and Ken,

Rick

We have Elaine to thank/blame for our Panama cruise, she sent through a wonderful offer from her TA that included flights, pre and post accommodation, onboard gratuties plus cruise - to good to pass up.

Happy to give you any advice about my hometown, also put the Queen Victoria Building on your list to see - my favourite building in the city

Ken says hi

Archived