Embarkation/On Board Cruise Traditions or Rituals

fredman

I have read soooo many "I get a pedicure/manicure...get my hair done" etc that I think these don't qualify in those weird interesting fun things that people do as they embark or first things they do on board. These are things generally many women (not all) do at a drop of an excuse for celebrating or feeling sad (like eating Ice Cream or Cheesecake as other examples). Ok some men do the same too! ;)

So what are your traditions/Rituals? I have read "go to MacDonalds", and in another thread, a couple when immediately on board orders Carnival's Fun Drink - minus the featured glass.

I can't tell you mine, because this January will be my first cruise and I need to establish my own set of rituals and traditions - just to make the cruise that much more special. I am just pumped!!! :D

The first thing I usually do is find the Lido deck for a drink! After that I go exploring on the ship. I find all the places I would most likely be hanging out. Then I check out the special prices they have at the spa and make my spa appointments! After that I head to see if my bags are delivered to my cabin and start unpacking until it's time for the lifeboat drill. After that it's up to the deck for another drink and the sail-away celebration!!

• 2 weeks later...

I always dump my carry-on in my cabin then head up to the pool bar for my first official drink of the cruise: a BBC. After that, if it's a ship I haven't been on before, I will kind of look around for the bar I think looks best for our pre-dinner drinks each evening.

As for whomever it was that said 'go to McDonalds' I will admit to the same thing. I don't eat at McDonalds here in the US ever but when I am out of the country I look for them. I know it sounds silly but the one thing I used to like at McD's was their fried pies. They are now baked here but out of the US - or in Hawaii, they are still fried so I go in and get myself one! Yes it's silly but I enjoy it. :rolleyes:

I always dump my carry-on in my cabin then head up to the pool bar for my first official drink of the cruise: a BBC. After that, if it's a ship I haven't been on before, I will kind of look around for the bar I think looks best for our pre-dinner drinks each evening.

As for whomever it was that said 'go to McDonalds' I will admit to the same thing. I don't eat at McDonalds here in the US ever but when I am out of the country I look for them. I know it sounds silly but the one thing I used to like at McD's was their fried pies. They are now baked here but out of the US - or in Hawaii, they are still fried so I go in and get myself one! Yes it's silly but I enjoy it. :rolleyes:

Thanks...so I think I have the beginnings of my own rituals from reading everyone's post:

1. Dump luggage in room
  2. Go find a drink, preferably by a pool
  3. Drink the drink.
  4. Find food
  5. Unpack
  6. Muster Drill
  7. Sail Away

Somewhere between 3 and 4, or between 4 and 5 need to find something very exotic and interesting to do...no swimming (predictable), no skinny dipping (I want to stay on the ship!):D:p. We will be with my Father and DW and possibly brother-in law and sister-in law so either with them or without them.

While I don't mind being around lots of people, I think I will scope out all the quiet nooks and crannies for the sail away and for "at sea" days.

DH & I always get to the Lido deck, order a bucket of Coors Light, and then toast "To a terrific unforgetable cruise!". He usually then finds his way to the buffet line. It's normally close to dinner before we make it to our cabin to toss our stuff in the closet or dressers. We talk to everyone and anyone that will talk to us. I guess our biggest ritual is to make as many new friends as we can!

DH & I always get to the Lido deck, order a bucket of Coors Light, and then toast "To a terrific unforgetable cruise!". He usually then finds his way to the buffet line. It's normally close to dinner before we make it to our cabin to toss our stuff in the closet or dressers. We talk to everyone and anyone that will talk to us. I guess our biggest ritual is to make as many new friends as we can!

Sounds like you have the right emphasis on the right syllable! Have fun and meet people. :D My DW and don't usually seek out folks to talk to (don't get me wrong - were not boring or snootish - just quiet folk), but you guys sound like you can get a lot of folks talking and having a good time. :D:D

I hope that we run into folks like you through out our cruise. I plan on ignoring anyone else wishing not to have fun!

Fredman - one of the best things about cruising is all the great people you will meet. Most everyone is incredibly friendly and it is real easy to meet, get to know people and just hang out. Have a great first cruise!

As for what our traditions are, my husband and I drop our stuff at the room, go straight to the pool bar and order our first drink. His a beer, mine a miami vice! Everyone is so pumped about vacation that the atmosphere is great on the pool deck!

First thing on board is wrap my arms around my DH and give him a big kiss. Without him it wouldn't be any fun!

Our usual tradition is to wait for our room steward, give him a nice tip, and tell him our needs for the next 7, 10 or 14 days -- usually some snacks during the day, always a wine glass in our room, an eggcrate for the bed and robes (for those lovely balcony moments ;) ), then off to the bar for the drink of the day and enjoy the sailaway. I don't care if it's raining, snowing or blowing like mad, I'm on deck for sailaway.

Only 3 more weeks to Alaska and 5 more months for a wonderful 14 day Caribbean!

Our ritual is that my wife and I step on the ship hand in hand together at exactly the same time. It sort of officially starts our vacation together.

Silly I know but we've done it for years since our very first cruise together before we were even married.

Our ritual is that my wife and I step on the ship hand in hand together at exactly the same time. It sort of officially starts our vacation together.

Silly I know but we've done it for years since our very first cruise together before we were even married.

The first thing i do on all my cruises is go straight to the pool bar and get a Foster beer, raise the oil can (fosters) to the bartender and say "let the cruise begin"

Fredman - one of the best things about cruising is all the great people you will meet. Most everyone is incredibly friendly and it is real easy to meet, get to know people and just hang out. Have a great first cruise!

As for what our traditions are, my husband and I drop our stuff at the room, go straight to the pool bar and order our first drink. His a beer, mine a miami vice! Everyone is so pumped about vacation that the atmosphere is great on the pool deck!

Thanks all! :) Reading your responses is very exciting, I like the fact that spouses, significant others and people are very central to the responses...oh and a little bit of alcohol is good too! It's kind of like a reoccurring honeymoon!

First thing on board is wrap my arms around my DH and give him a big kiss. Without him it wouldn't be any fun!

Our usual tradition is to wait for our room steward, give him a nice tip, and tell him our needs for the next 7, 10 or 14 days -- usually some snacks during the day, always a wine glass in our room, an eggcrate for the bed and robes (for those lovely balcony moments ;) ), then off to the bar for the drink of the day and enjoy the sailaway. I don't care if it's raining, snowing or blowing like mad, I'm on deck for sailaway.

Only 3 more weeks to Alaska and 5 more months for a wonderful 14 day Caribbean!

I have been weighing the idea of balcony vs. deck for sailaway. Intimate on balcony, but party type atmosphere on deck...hmmm :confused: First cruise, I am not sure what to do.

I do like the fact that you meet your room steward...nice touch. It seems that some never meet their steward, but either leave the standard tip or more at the end of the cruise. I think by meeting them there is a connection and I think that can enhance the trip...which is all about people as much as it is about the destinations...:D:D:D

Our ritual begins before the cruise. The same friend always takes us to the airport and picks us up. It just would'nt be the same if some else drove us. And since we go as a group, we have a little "Amazing Race" challenge going. So far the last to arrive has not been elimanated.

• 3 weeks later...

Since my huband and I are both Marines, after we finish the Emergency drill, we stay on deck while everyone else goes back to their rooms to put their vests away. We watch the USA go by, and at the last land point we come to attention and salute the good ole US of A goodbye!

It's funny to see how others react to us doing this. :p But hey, we LOVE this country!

We always drop off our bags in our room (We always carry on and pack lightly!) and then head to find food. Then we explore the ship so that we know where everything is to make best use of it all! From there we watch as we pull out of port from the deck and breathe a sigh of relief.. we're on vacation!

This past trip we even started a "turning off of the cell phones" ceremony. Something very rewarding about knowing no one can call to bother you about nonsense from back home!

My up-coming trip is only my 2nd cruise, but I'm told there are some comical photo op's available at the Muster Drill, so I'll be prepared this time.

I also have a balcony this year, and since we are leaving from NYC- at night - the week prior to Christmas, it's going to be dark & if we are lucky, only chilly, not raining or snowing. I haven't decided if we will hang at the party or just go to our balcony & waive to the Lady in the Lake. I'm excited about seeing the City at Christmas again - always a thrill!!!

Happy sailing to all!

Even if we have been on the ship (or that class before) we always explore. We start at at the top deck and work our way down deck by deck -- its fun to find new nooks or other suprises.

On the way we stop at Windjammer for a bite to eat. When going to the main dining room we always find our table so at the first dinner we aren't stuck waiting behind the mass of people looking for directions to their table.

Usually somewhere on the tour my husband gets his first pina colada ;) We also make sure all the wine we have pre-ordered for the stateroom has arrived.

Though I loved the ritual of walking on the ship hand in hand -- I think we are going to borrow that one ;)

Rituals

We race for the gangplank and try for an honourable draw

Then explore

Get a drink and food and unpack

Always do sailaway on deck - atmosphere is brilliant (apart from Thomson Celebration when they were 2 hours late starting and the excitement had waned a little)

First sail into shore, i'm woken at 5.30 by the Mrs who drags me onto deck and motivates me with coffee while she takes a 1000 pictures. Next month I'm taking the biggest thermos mug I can find with me so I can have a huge cup.

Not long now until my early morning drag out of bed!

We go straight to our cabin and once the door closes, I grab DH's hands and do my "happy dance" all over the cabin while DH smiles and rolls his eyes. After 31 years together, he knows what to expect.:p After that we head to the Lido Deck for lunch. Next cruise we'll be meeting up with our adult kids at the Lido, something we've never had the pleasure of doing before. Can't wait - there just might be more "happy dances"!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Since my huband and I are both Marines, after we finish the Emergency drill, we stay on deck while everyone else goes back to their rooms to put their vests away. We watch the USA go by, and at the last land point we come to attention and salute the good ole US of A goodbye!

It's funny to see how others react to us doing this. :p But hey, we LOVE this country!

Got to tell you, I love this tradition. I love this country, too, and I personally thank you and your husband for being a part of the brave and courageous men and women who protect our freedom.

I salute you!

Tim

Got to tell you, I love this tradition. I love this country, too, and I personally thank you and your husband for being a part of the brave and courageous men and women who protect our freedom.

I salute you!

Tim

Thank you, Tim! It was an honor and a pleasure, belieive it or not.:) My husband did 21 years, and I did 3 before I got hurt.