An e-cig thread, NOT a smoking thread

MadScientist_01

Me and my trusty e-cigarette will be cruising shortly, and I'm not happy with Cunard (and others) ruling that e-cigs should only be used in smoking areas - part of using it is to help me give up smoking and making me be around analogue smokers can be very tempting...

But that is by the by, the rule is what it is, and I can understand it from the point of view of not being overt so that others do not make the mistake of thinking it is ok to smoke in a non-smoking area. So my question is, would it bother you (and other passengers if you want to speak for them) if I were to vape discretely (taking the odd toke with maybe the odd bit of vapour seen, but not sat there puffing away)? We're talking bars and general ship areas here, not dining rooms.

No smoke, no smell (maybe a hint of cherry) but would still like to guage opinion of others...

Me and my trusty e-cigarette will be cruising shortly, and I'm not happy with Cunard (and others) ruling that e-cigs should only be used in smoking areas - part of using it is to help me give up smoking and making me be around analogue smokers can be very tempting...

But that is by the by, the rule is what it is, and I can understand it from the point of view of not being overt so that others do not make the mistake of thinking it is ok to smoke in a non-smoking area. So my question is, would it bother you (and other passengers if you want to speak for them) if I were to vape discretely (taking the odd toke with maybe the odd bit of vapour seen, but not sat there puffing away)? We're talking bars and general ship areas here, not dining rooms.

No smoke, no smell (maybe a hint of cherry) but would still like to guage opinion of others...

I think that their attitude is wrong and you should be OK, discretion is the key I think.

I understand that a lot of people have been able to guit by using these e-cigs, and I can see how vaping in a smoking area works against quitting.

But by using it in a nonsmoking bar, you could cause a problem for the waiters or bartender because it will look like you're smoking and someone might complain. (A lot of people haven't seen e-cigs and won't know the difference.) You might try sitting at a bar and talking to the bartender about it before you use it. And if you feel the need for a cigarette and want to use the e-cig to get past the moment, use it in your cabin. I know there's no smoking allowed in the cabin, but this isn't smoking and doesn't produce the smoke smell.

Cunard isn't the only line lumping e-cigs in with real cigs. Airlines do, too. On a flight about a year ago the no-smoking-onboard announcement specifically said that the ban includes e-cigs.

But by using it in a nonsmoking bar, you could cause a problem for the waiters or bartender because it will look like you're smoking and someone might complain.
Having recently cruised on Princess, I noticed that Princess's policy on e-cigarettes is that you can use them onboard, unless someone complains strongly:

Electronic Cigarettes

The use of electronic cigarettes is permitted in all areas onboard with the exception of dining areas and the Princess Theater. However, should a fellow passenger in the vicinity feel inconvenienced and complain, even after being told the difference between electronic cigarettes and real cigarettes, we will ask the passenger to refrain from smoking the electronic cigarette.

I haven't seen a similar explanation of the policy from Cunard.

I understand that a lot of people have been able to guit by using these e-cigs, and I can see how vaping in a smoking area works against quitting.

But by using it in a nonsmoking bar, you could cause a problem for the waiters or bartender because it will look like you're smoking and someone might complain. (A lot of people haven't seen e-cigs and won't know the difference.) You might try sitting at a bar and talking to the bartender about it before you use it. And if you feel the need for a cigarette and want to use the e-cig to get past the moment, use it in your cabin. I know there's no smoking allowed in the cabin, but this isn't smoking and doesn't produce the smoke smell.

Cunard isn't the only line lumping e-cigs in with real cigs. Airlines do, too. On a flight about a year ago the no-smoking-onboard announcement specifically said that the ban includes e-cigs.

Yes, I'm now well-practiced in the art of stealth-vaping - unfortunately it is this that sometimes causes the problems (such as the infamous Megaubus incident) as it looks as if you have something to hide and therefore you must be doing something ilicit.

Having recently cruised on Princess, I noticed that Princess's policy on e-cigarettes is that you can use them onboard, unless someone complains strongly:I haven't seen a similar explanation of the policy from Cunard.

That's interesting, I haven't seen that policy before - it certainly makes far more sense, and I think it would be much more sensible to be upfront with people so that they know what an e-cig is.

Interesting that they can still ask you to stop even if a person knows it is an e-cig and doesn't like it anyway - what is that persons reasoning? - 'stop him from smoking that e-cig, it isn't affecting me in the slightest but he looks like he's enjoying himself and I'm not having that' :rolleyes:

One of the BIG issues about e-cigs is that they are largely UNREGULATED & NO ONE knows what is in it -- what YOU are inhaling and what is in the vapors you are emitting. The publicity says it's only water vapor but folks have reported a residue left behind when folks use e-cigs. Whatever is in the residue CAN bother other people, particularly some folks with twitchy/sensitive airways. I'd suggest you follow the rules. If you MUST use your e-cig, you should use it in a non-public area or in the smoking areas so that others are not subjected to whatever is coming off your e-cigs.

If you want s SAFE and effective method of quitting that is subsidized by many insurers, try Zyban, which IS regulated by FDA & has carefully regulated amounts of nicotine in titrating doses. The amount of nicotine in e-cigs varies widely and often does NOT correspond with the amount stated in its publicity/packaging. Carcinogens have been found in several of the e-cigs that have been evaluated, just FYI. If you want to inhale it, that is your business--if you are emitting anything by using your e-cigs, it's everyone who may be subjected to the emission's business.

An electronic cigarette contains nictone that's vaporized by a battery-operated heater when the user draws on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette

Quite a few people use it by reducing the level of nicotine so that it goes down to a zero nicotine level (as I am now) - it is then a way of dealing with context dependency (what most people call 'habit') which is as powerful, if not more, than the nicotine itself - that is why being around people smoking actual cigarettes can be a problem, it can easily trigger the habit and the e-cig may not be enough.

That is my only issue with HImom's argument - I understand what you are saying but, in my case, I actually do know what I am inhaling because I source my liquids very carefully. Of course, not everybody may do the same and some might be using the cheap stuff which contains all sorts of stuff (and this is where the FDA studies have found things) - so that part of the argument I do agree with you on.

However, I do have a problem with the FDA studies and arguments - there are an incredible amount of things which contain carcinogens - for instance, if I breathe on you after taking a sip of coffee it is highly likely that I am breathing a known carcinogen onto you, particularly if my lungs are inefficient. But at the molecular density level and dispersion rate of 'coffee breath' it won't do you any harm (hence the 'kissing gives you cancer' scare stories a few years ago!). The truly scandalous thing about the FDA is their seeming inability to understand the dispersion rate behaviour of molecules at even a basic level (a first year undergrad learns that measuring dispersion rates at source, such as the end of a cigarette or someone's mouth, is very different to measuring it six inches away) - either everybody at the FDA got very dumb all of a sudden (and if so, I could give them names of about 10,000 people who could carry out better studies and write better reports) or they have a reason for doing so.

That's interesting, I haven't seen that policy before - it certainly makes far more sense, and I think it would be much more sensible to be upfront with people so that they know what an e-cig is.

Interesting that they can still ask you to stop even if a person knows it is an e-cig and doesn't like it anyway - what is that persons reasoning? - 'stop him from smoking that e-cig, it isn't affecting me in the slightest but he looks like he's enjoying himself and I'm not having that' :rolleyes:

Hi MadScientist. Maybe some who are trying not to smoke cigarettes would have a similiar reaction to what you experience when being around smokers, i.e. seeing someone vaping in restricted smoking areas re-ignites (pun intended) their urge to smoke?

I hope that venues are found for both vapers and smokers, clearly labled as such so that anyone who wants to avoid it can do so...on the other hand, it would be nice if passengers could enjoy whatever legal substance they choose in the privacy of their own cabin. Speaking of which, how long will vaping be legal? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2184014/Ministers-warn-electronic-cigarettes-unsafe-lead-health-problems.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

To quote in part from the article cited above "They are already outlawed in Australia, New Zealand, Brazil and Canada - and the state of New York is set to follow suit following a recent vote."

Personally, I would not complain if I saw a passenger vaping in a public area. But then again, I've never registered any complaint about a fellow passenger as I've never witnessed any egregious behaviour :);) Cheers, -S.

Hi MadScientist. Maybe some who are trying not to smoke cigarettes would have a similiar reaction to what you experience when being around smokers, i.e. seeing someone vaping in restricted smoking areas re-ignites (pun intended) their urge to smoke?

I hope that venues are found for both vapers and smokers, clearly labled as such so that anyone who wants to avoid it can do so...on the other hand, it would be nice if passengers could enjoy whatever legal substance they choose in the privacy of their own cabin. Speaking of which, how long will vaping be legal? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2184014/Ministers-warn-electronic-cigarettes-unsafe-lead-health-problems.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

To quote in part from the article cited above "They are already outlawed in Australia, New Zealand, Brazil and Canada - and the state of New York is set to follow suit following a recent vote."

Personally, I would not complain if I saw a passenger vaping in a public area. But then again, I've never registered any complaint about a fellow passenger as I've never witnessed any egregious behaviour :);) Cheers, -S.

I agree with you about others who might be trying to quit, that's why I am always extremely surreptitious about it - most people wouldn't even notice (there's always a danger that someone will and call in the elite tactical unit, but what can you do?).

Unfortunately that article has been roundly condemned as being wildly inaccurate, but the one thing it is correct on is the places that have banned use of e-cigs... but without banning actual, real cigarettes as well, the feeling is that it is all about the tax revenue.

I vote for a dedicated vaping area - my nomination is the front row of tables looking out of the window of the Commodore Club :D

Archived