Getting to Pompei by train

Driftwoodgal

Interested in getting to Pompei by train. If I understand correctly we will need to take a cab to the train station and catch a train to Pompei. Does anyone know how far the train station in Pompei is to the ruins?

If I am understanding posts correctly you can obtain a guide there at the entrance to Pompei. Does anyone know what the cost is to get into Pompei?

How long should you allow to see this and are their places to eat nearby? Any suggestions?

You can search this forum for specific directions to train, Pompeii, and here is a link to fees, etc. Several different links for other questions. ricksteves.com also has a walking tour or even podcasts that you can download for free, so you might not even need a guide.

http://www.pompeiisites.org/Sezione.jsp?idSezione=1717&idSezioneRif=1165

Interested in getting to Pompei by train. If I understand correctly we will need to take a cab to the train station and catch a train to Pompei. Does anyone know how far the train station in Pompei is to the ruins?

If I am understanding posts correctly you can obtain a guide there at the entrance to Pompei. Does anyone know what the cost is to get into Pompei?

How long should you allow to see this and are their places to eat nearby? Any suggestions?

Getting to Pompeii from where? Did I miss something?

Getting to Pompeii from where? Did I miss something?

Ha Ha... guess I expected everyone to read my mind.

Our port of call is Naples. I think I have it figured out, just wasn't sure which train station and how often the train runs. There are three stations in Napoli and two stops in Pompeii. Looks like it is a 36 minute train ride from the station to the ruins with a little walk.......I am thinking it is about 1/4 of a mile.

Anyone know about restaurants to eat at?

The train station for Pompeii is literally right at the ruins. Very easy. We didn't walk to the station in Naples from the port ourselves, but I have read that some people had safety concerns with walking because of the traffic and pickpockets. Naples is a VERY busy city.

Take the train to Pompeii Scavi and it's a short walk from the train station (I think about 3 minutes). Very do-able.

I agree with SeaingIsBelieving: go back to Naples to eat. Their pizzas are amazingly delicious!

Thats what we plan, we are going to Da Donato, a short walk from the Porta Nolna Corso Garibaldi strain station.

Kirk

Hello, eavesdropping here for some information. In returning from Pompeii, what train station should we get off at to go to the museum and to find good pizza.

The Porta Nolana station in Naples, from there use the underground walkway to the metro station to get a subway to the museum, or you can go outside and walk a few blocks on the street to the subway entrance.

so wait- I thought the train station was a far walk from the port... I was told to take the SITA bus. Now I am quite confused. We will be going in August with a 6 month old. Which is the better option?

The Porta Nolana station in Naples, from there use the underground walkway to the metro station to get a subway to the museum, or you can go outside and walk a few blocks on the street to the subway entrance.

Just to be sure I understand this. There is a underground connection between the Porta Nolna station and the Garibaldi metro stop? I was thinking we had to walk along the street, an underground connection would be great!

Thanks EC!

Kirk

Archived