Titou Gorge and Bumpiing tours

blondie from arizona

This was a fabulous day and wonderful tour. Bumpiing took great care of us. They have a driver and a guide. The guide turns you over to another guide at Champagne Reef. Both guides help you in and out of the water and then the group checks out the reef. The day we were there they had quite a bit of surge. It was murky and there were a lot of people there. Plus, people on tours are like herding cats. Not sure how the guides do it. The reef was not really spectacular, but the guide made it a good experience. He showed us critters, cannons, coral, the bubbles. He even brought some warm water up in his snorkel for us to feel. It was surprisingly warm.

The Botanical gardens weren't much to see, but they did stop by the crushed school bus. It seems to be the main attraction.

The bid deal of the day was Titou Gorge. Bring water shoes, not just flip flops. Flip flops won't stay on your feet. And be prepared to swim. Even the old people made it, but we were a little concerned about them. The water was a little cold, but not anything crazy. Titou was the hi-light of our vacation. Make sure that you have your guide. This would not have worked without a local. He knew where the overhang was to stop for a break and he used a life preserver to pull us all over to the falls. Do not try this as an independent tour. It won't be worth it!

Loved this tour. Had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the review, I am a little intimidated by the Gorge but would like to try it. You mentioned that you were worried about the old people, I am 50's and in descent shape, a good swimmer but not overly athletic.

Then you should be OK. Especially if you are going with Bumpiing Tours. My son and I went with them back in 2014. I was 61 almost 62. I did OK. I am a decent swimmer and had no trouble with the swimming. You are swimming against the current going into the gorge. But the guide was there with a life preserver to pull you along if you need it. But I didn't need the help there. I did need help getting up to the top of the falls. But then most people did. It was a thrill to jump off the falls into the water a short distance below. It was the highlight of our cruise also.

I agree with having some good water shoes definitely not flip flops.

I am not much of a swimmer, and we are doing this excursion next month. Do they give you life jackets to use, or some type of floating device? I am nervous about this part, and may just skip it all together, but would still like to join in. My DH is a very good swimmer.

I am not much of a swimmer, and we are doing this excursion next month. Do they give you life jackets to use, or some type of floating device? I am nervous about this part, and may just skip it all together, but would still like to join in. My DH is a very good swimmer.

Are you going with Bumpiing? If so they will help you get in. I hope you don't skip it as it is a highlight. You come back out the same way you went in but now the current will help you along. When we were there it wasn't a real strong current.

Edited by luv2trvlnow

Yes, Bumpiing has the devices that go around your waist that they have everyone wear even if you are a strong swimmer.